2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Protege model:
2003 Mazdaspeed - 2nd week report
By flask38 on 12/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Interior components line-up flawlessly into each other. It has usable power anywhere over 1500 RPM and at 3K-3K5 has ample passing power without spinning the turbo extensively. Playing in the off-ramps and curvy roads in SoCal really gets my audrenaline pumping. The car will do whatever you want and feels like the faster you go into a corner, the more accelloration you have to feed it to track (grab) the road. I think to get to the next level of overall balance of power, handling and refinement one would have to get into the $32K price range.

OMG u people r easy
By Nonya on 12/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Its a car with a nice looking paint job good looking wheels an a nice stereo other than that the car sucks. , if the motor was tuned for the turbo would be nice they used plastic for the turbo intake with ungod bends in it along with acordion type pipe in spots for a real nice air flow ( RIGHT ) The lower IC pipe gets big then small then big again No cold air in take . Hmmm lets see... OH no timer for the turbo for when you forget not to sit in ur car for about and no less than 10 sec. to 30 or more little 10"hx4"tx6"w intercooler and no Blow of valve for the back flow of air when you shift gears that can distroy your turbo

Loving it!
By klowhorn on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just bought my Mazdaspeed. I've only had it for three days, but I know that I'm going to love it for a long time. I have had a lot of different types of cars and even a couple of trucks, some of the nicer than this overall. However, none of them were this much fun. I bought the last silver one in Indiana, and it gets a lot of looks. Way fun!!!

03.5 Mazdaspeed
By Aamir Siddiqui on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is an AMAZING value. It can be had for 16,500 at most dealerships with out too much haggling. Performs like a true sports sedan, possesses handling to shame a bmw, and very respectable acceleration for the size of the small amount of gas it consumes. Build quality is very good and panels tight gaps. My only gripe is high seating position with inaqequately bolstered seats, but with the all money saved and fun to drive factor I might purchase some after market race track inspired Recaro seats.

Problems
By tfg on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What a killer sound system that stopped working two weeks after delivery. Repaired? Yes. Time to break after first repair was three weeks. Basically, the sound system does not work. MAzda service claims this is common. The radio is terrible. Talk about driving. Not a bad ride but this car DOES NOT DRIVE IN THE SNOW. Anything over one inch of snow and call a tow truck

My baby
By Edward Horn on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am like a child in a candy store with my new Mazdaspeed Protege. I certain exercise my bragging rights with "My Baby." I have not had one complain of my vehical. People look twice at my one of kind Mazdaspeed Protege. This has been the best automobile purchase. I wouldn't trade "My Baby," for any vehical on the market.

MSP Love
By yashooa on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Some cars are built to generate numbers. Some cars are built to generate smiles. You'd be hard pressed to get the grin off my face while in my MSP. The style, chassis refinement, build quality, and really bitchin radio (for stock) did it for me. It could use a bit more power and to that end I have installed a manual boost controller. It has been installed for the better part of the cars life running 12PSI vs the stock 6PSI. My car has been close to perfect and it has over 24000 miles on it now. I spend over 2 hrs a day in this car and it is always a pleasant experience.

Fun on wheels!
By JDDJ on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What a pleasure to find so much driving fun for so little $.This car has a quality, roomy interior seating 5 real people. The exterior exudes youthful energy. It comes off the floor with the wheels,tires,pedals and stereo that you would add to most cars in this class. It handles like it is on rails, not quite like my M3 convertible, but far closer than I imagined for about a third the price. I think it would get great gas mileage if I could just say no to that great gas pedal. I hear you can easily increase the turbo boost but I don't know how you would keep the front wheels on the pavement with any more.

2003.5 Mazdaspeed
By frankseal4 on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Unbelievable race car for the street. An 'aftermarket' car with all the aftermarket items engineered, placed, and warrenteed by Mazda. BIG 450 watt 7 speaker Kenwood CD MP3 satillite stereosystem. Tubocharged, intercooled, 17 in Racing Hart wheels, 11 inch 4wheel disks, front, rear stabilizer bars. Racing Beat tunned suspension, Calloway engine-drivetrain production, ltd slip differential Fwd. The list goes on.. Not many are available at a sticker price of only $21000. Plus 24- 30 miles per gallon! Also 4 to 5 star safety ratings. Drive it , you'll be sold. Did I mention the Front facia, side trim, rear facia, and new high racing spoiler?

FUN FUN FUN!
By Speedingjen on 10/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just purchased my Mazdaspeed in Titanium Gray 2003.5. I love the way the exterior color matches with the rim color. It is so much fun to drive. I love the way it looks, the way it rides...people say it rides tough, but I love the sports ride:) It is so comfy and the stereo system is just so so cool. I really don't care about the stereo buttons being small because I mostly use the remote anyway. People ask about the car all the time. I love the responses I get when I am on the road.