Used 2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Protege model:

Finally
By Echo4HotelUSMC

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was finally able to get my hands on one of these machines after trying to find one since 2003. Since owning her from 42k, I've found out that her motor was replaced by Mazda @ 22k and the turbo had been replaced 3 times... wow! Repairs I've had to get done are small things. There was some oil getting into the plastic tubing? from the intercooler to the turbo, my rear stablizer bar needed new bushings and the subwoofer blew. My only gripe is that Mazda took the easy way out with this one. They simply attached a turbo to their 2.0 motor and then didnt take the time to tune it properly. The MSP runs very rich. It needs a turbo timer, a blow off valve, an a2f ratio gauge and real bucket seats.

The rims look great on my car because of its color (titanium). They could be an inch bigger though. I like the visual design of the interior and the short shifter, but I have to drive with gloves. Its either too hot or too cold to hold depending on the season (it's metal).

You spool up to 3.5 rpm before the boost kicks in. That's not good for highway driving. Your fuel economy suffers when you have to downshift before passing someone. No BOV so no swoosh when releasing pressure. It goes right back into the system, thus the turbo spins more than needed, weakening it.

Fun on Four Wheels
By Maestrokneer

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car for a fun daily driver, and 4 years later have not been disappointed. There is seemingly nothing this car can't do well when it puts its mind to it. A perfectly balanced front-wheel drived car that neither pushes nor oversteers when at its limit. Not many cars can say they beat anything but a Lotus Elise through the slalom (including all of Italy's finest), but this is one of them. Weight transfer superb, steering responsiveness superb, and with a $30 manual boost controller and some other minor modifications, pick-up will press you in your seat. Just a blast to drive! I love my Mazdaspeed!

love my little zoom-zoom car
By mspdmama

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had minimal problems with this car. The factory head-unit is a piece of junk and prone to problems...just replace it. I love the looks I get, it is unusual enough to turn heads without looking all tweaked out. It's a blast to drive, very responsive off the line and in turns. Comfort suffers very slightly, it is performance oriented after all. I highly recommend this car. I have only replaced the tires and the serpentine belt on the driving end of things. Time for brakes and plugs next.

I love the handling in turns. Is quick off the line. Overall looks catches people's eyes.

Stereo head unit is very problematic. Its fold up, flip down feature leads to problems. Sounds great when it works. I just replaced mine. Also had to get warranty work done on the sub. They replaced my blown one with a factory rebuild. system sounds great though

It's a blast!
By Nick

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a thrill to drive. It may not be the quickest off the line or the best in a drag race, but it sure can move. Once this vehicle gets into 2nd it takes off. Great passing power and on top of all amazing handling. Handling and braking are what makes this car as great as it is. Interior design is nice and my exterior just shines with the metallic paint. I can't wait to put the stock tires and rims back on. I also haven't had any problems driving in the winter, you need winter tires and different rims to keep the stock 17s nice! Overall a good buy and a great value. Can't beat the price!

Handling. Turbo. Braking. Paint.

6speed, more HP, turbo gauges.

Nice!
By Pyr0TeK

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall I love my MSP. Funnest car I have ever owned. Easy to work on...just all around great car. Handles like a dream. Not the fastest car on the market for 2003 but definitely one of the best.

Driveability, response to the road.

More horsepower, better tuning, stock boost gauge.