2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Protege model:
Finally
By Echo4HotelUSMC on 09/18/07 12:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was finally able to get my hands on one of these machines after trying to find one since 2003. Since owning her from 42k, I've found out that her motor was replaced by Mazda @ 22k and the turbo had been replaced 3 times... wow! Repairs I've had to get done are small things. There was some oil getting into the plastic tubing? from the intercooler to the turbo, my rear stablizer bar needed new bushings and the subwoofer blew. My only gripe is that Mazda took the easy way out with this one. They simply attached a turbo to their 2.0 motor and then didnt take the time to tune it properly. The MSP runs very rich. It needs a turbo timer, a blow off valve, an a2f ratio gauge and real bucket seats.

Fun on Four Wheels
By Maestrokneer on 06/20/07 22:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car for a fun daily driver, and 4 years later have not been disappointed. There is seemingly nothing this car can't do well when it puts its mind to it. A perfectly balanced front-wheel drived car that neither pushes nor oversteers when at its limit. Not many cars can say they beat anything but a Lotus Elise through the slalom (including all of Italy's finest), but this is one of them. Weight transfer superb, steering responsiveness superb, and with a $30 manual boost controller and some other minor modifications, pick-up will press you in your seat. Just a blast to drive! I love my Mazdaspeed!

love my little zoom-zoom car
By mspdmama on 03/04/07 22:18 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had minimal problems with this car. The factory head-unit is a piece of junk and prone to problems...just replace it. I love the looks I get, it is unusual enough to turn heads without looking all tweaked out. It's a blast to drive, very responsive off the line and in turns. Comfort suffers very slightly, it is performance oriented after all. I highly recommend this car. I have only replaced the tires and the serpentine belt on the driving end of things. Time for brakes and plugs next.

It's a blast!
By Nick on 01/26/07 15:41 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a thrill to drive. It may not be the quickest off the line or the best in a drag race, but it sure can move. Once this vehicle gets into 2nd it takes off. Great passing power and on top of all amazing handling. Handling and braking are what makes this car as great as it is. Interior design is nice and my exterior just shines with the metallic paint. I can't wait to put the stock tires and rims back on. I also haven't had any problems driving in the winter, you need winter tires and different rims to keep the stock 17s nice! Overall a good buy and a great value. Can't beat the price!

Nice!
By Pyr0TeK on 12/14/06 12:42 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall I love my MSP. Funnest car I have ever owned. Easy to work on...just all around great car. Handles like a dream. Not the fastest car on the market for 2003 but definitely one of the best.

Too bad I love to drive it...
By CD on 05/25/06 10:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the most fun to drive car I have ever had, and that's the only reason it is still in my driveway. It has its own bay at the service department. I'm there for the same things over and over. I've had a new turbo, a new transmission, sway bar links at least 5 times, a rear subframe, two new alarms, new a/c compressor, multiple coolant leaks, multiple exhaust leaks, new exhaust manifold, the list goes on and on. I'm going to sell it when the warranty runs out, I just hope I can find something as fun to drive as this is when it's not in the shop. (Reviewed by a 32 year old female driving it to work, not a teenager abusing it) .

My Favorite Car!
By Paul on 05/03/06 14:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What a great car. This is the car you should own when you're 21, but didn't have the money. People still stare at the rims. Much zip with the turbo, great handling. Almost 30 months and I'm not sick of it yet! Issues with the back bushings, we're about to head in for the 3rd replacement, 63,000 miles.

Excellent Car! Awesome Performance.
By goombie on 04/19/06 12:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been a blast to own from the very beginning. The handling is awesome and even commuting to work is a little treat each morning if you can imagine that. Mazda has pretty much fine tuned everything so I didn't have to put any extra money or time into it. Awesome. It's been very reliable, and with the 4 doors, it's a nice hybrid between comfort and sport. Very roomy on the inside. Rims and stereo were a nice touch. Styling hit the spot; for the price you can't beat it!

luvthespeed
By Benji on 03/29/06 09:18 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my Speed. My only problem with it has been the need for a set of winter wheels. If you don't mind switching out the wheels with the change of the seasons and you're looking for a quick little toy, this is it. The extras on the interior and all the collaboration among Racing Hart, Kenwood, Mazda etc. make this factory car feel like a custom one. You can even get a car seat set up in the back seat! Hard not to love this vehicle.

Dream "ON RAILS"
By ZZMSP03.5 on 02/24/06 12:13 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is amazing, since buying it out of the show room on New Years Eve I have had nothing but fun out of the car. All my friends have Hondas but I wanted something that stands out. Very rare car. Awesome handling, great looks and good sound. With aftermarket parts the car just explodes like it is a beast waiting to be unleashed.