Used 2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Protege model:

Easily turned up
By quikmsprotege

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car almost two years, bought with 35k on it now I have over 80k to tell you how much I drive it. Didn't have Cruise control when I bought it so I had it installed at the dealer. But the motor is a little on the weak side when you get it. 170hp/170tq or somewhere around there. I have only put in about 2k in mods /pistons rods frontmount intercooler and piggyback controller and now it turns out a little over 330hp to the wheels. I run this car at the track every blue moon but it definitely lays down on evos and STI's.

Favorite Features

Factory turbo, made it easy to mod. Incredible suspension, I only had to buy some lowering springs for about 200 to lower it 2 more inches. And the lightweight racinghart wheels from the factory.

Suggested Improvements

cruise control, and the internals are only good for 10psi...then again almost every car is like that.

Funnest Car EVER!
By Adam

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I picked up my Mazdaspeed about two years ago and I simply cannot sing enough praises for it! It is so fun to drive I actually look forward to my commute. Fast, responsive, and corners like its on rails. I've driven several exotic cars (Ferraris & Porsches), but I'd take my Mazdaspeed over them any day! The car is absolutely fantastic! Best decision I ever made.

Favorite Features

Handling, ride, interior design, awesome sound system, acceleration, exterior design, everything!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing!

2003.5 Mazdaspeed protege
By C_West

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car! It is my relatively cheap dream car and I am so excited that I finally was able to pick one up. I definitely recommend this car to anyone and everyone.

Favorite Features

I love the look of the car (both interior and exterior). I really enjoy driving this car its fun and yet suprisingly fuel efficient.

Suggested Improvements

No "suggested improvements" but on a side note. This car does not do very well in the snow, so keep that in mind.

5 years and still going strong
By JoeAlda

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car brand new, only had 12 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. 45000 miles later and a trip to germany and I still love this car. The turbo gives the car some great get-up-and-go when you floor it. I have had to do little to no maintenance on it. I love the interior and the short shift. The handling, well there aren't too many vehicles that handle as well as this car. Have just recently put on a new body kit, upgraded the exhaust, and threw some 18s on it to give it a meaner look. Overall great car and extremely fun to drive. Tops out at 137 mph. Also love it when someone asks if it's a lancer and the look on their face when I say "it's a mazdaspeed protege."

Favorite Features

Love the colors, the aggressive look right out of the dealership, rims, interior, short shift, and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Had to replace stereo and subwoofer in less than 3 months from purchase. Other than that excellent car!!! A must own!!!

2 Years later.
By ntduncan

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car used 2 years ago and it's the best car I've ever owned. It's my daily driver and I love it. It's not the fastest, nor most eye catching (I like the way it looks) but it's a blast to drive and handles great.

Favorite Features

The handling of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control for long trips.