2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Protege model:
The Spice of Life
By TX Speed Demon on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought it in Feb 2003 and have about 5000 miles on it. I've got to tell you, it's the only thing that gets me through the work day (hope my girl doesn't read this). No one else offers a better package of performace and looks. While some other cars may be faster, my 2nd choice was a WRX, it takes at least $4-5Gs to get the look up to par. And my baby is no slouch either. Got to say the best victory was over a Porsche Carrera... he dusted me off the line, but I cought up by 85 mph and started the pass at 100... you should've seen the look on his face! If you haven't driven one, do so before you buy anything else.

Makin' Double-Takes
By MazdaSpeed Matt on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car's performance is unbelievable. I got my a few days ago and I'm still on cloud 9. All my friends wanna drive it and have gotten tons of compliments as well. I park it in the biggest lot in town and every day there's always a group of 4 or 5 people checkin' out. I love the attention the car brings because it's so rare. That's one of the big reasons why I got it. I like to be unique and get a car I know is almost one of a kind. Everyone that checks the car out is amazed at all the standard features. Yet with all the add-on's it's still a fairly practical car with it's roomy back seat that could sit 3 and a huge truck.

Precise, fun little car
By dixonL2 on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Best Protege available, was the best "fit" for my compact "sports" car needs. Very precise steering is the car's best feature, easily the equal of the Mini (which is saying a LOT). Great handling for a front-driver with a firm but compliant suspension, which I like. Comfortable supportive seats but having Sparco seats as an option wouldn't hurt. Definitely won't smoke an Evo or WRX, but is somewhat close and easily as much fun. Roomy back seat, cramped trunk (stock subwoofer in the way).

Good
By Will321 on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Very good car. umm this is not 15 words long. but now it really is.

I love this car!!
By samiam on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great little car. It is fun to drive, good gas mileage, great look. I got the Spicy Orange! I love the color, it gets a lot of double takes! Great car for the money. It has a lot of great features. You don't have to do a thing to it. Great sound system, nice tires and wheels, spoiler, everything is awesome.

Great Car Great performance
By bcbadboy on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been the best I ever had. The styling and performance is great. It handles great on the road with no worries.

Makes other competitors taste dust
By Thomas Markham on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My dad just recently bought me a MSP, it is by far the best car I have driven for handling and acceleration for it's price range. I can truly say that it walks all over the Subaru Wrx RS, Focus Svt, Civic Si, Acura Rsx, Saturn Ion and the Sentra Type R. It does a wonderful job when you pull up next to one of these cars and walk circles around them, although I have to admit the wrx has some giddy up, but look at it this way, it has AWD and the MSP doesn't. It also is cheaper and comes with the turbo. I just enjoy shifting the gears at high rpm to hear my turbo whistle, an addition of a BOV would sound great.

Great Car!
By Limited Edition on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned this car for just over 10 weeks now, and i say for sure that i made the right choice! She is gorgous under the sunlight when clean. The Sparkles/metallic really show and it is a true head turner. There's nothing else like it on the road. A well rounded and complete package for the $$$. Although Mazda has focus soo much on the fun/performace factory, they forgot to put a few luxuries in this car. Sunroof would make this car a complete package as well as heated mirrors. Gotta love Limited Production cars. If only they could stop producing them after the '03.5 that would be nice. No more Blue and Silver versions PleasE!

Protege with turbo
By Turbolsd on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is really a good car to buy in the 20,000 price range. Hurry though because the supply isn't large.

Best in Show
By Maxwell House on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my Mazdaspeed less than a week ago, and while I'm still definitely in the honeymoon phase, I can say without a doubt this car is the best driving experience available under $30,000. It's a steal at $20,000, and with the limited production, it's not going to be the depreciation nightmare most economy cars are. If you can find one, drive it, compare what you get, and you'll return to the Mazda dealership without a doubt in your mind about your decision.