ZOOMING Past most!
By John K. on
2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I liked it so much I bought TWO! I have a Black Mica and a Lava Orange. I bought accessories for the puny intercooler and boost controls, upgraded to cross-drilled slotted rotors and intake hard pipes with K&N filter and Blow-Off valve, Autometer boost gauge. The only drawbacks are premium gas >18mpg in town and around 25 freeway. The forward cupholder. And the lack of iPod integration (sold separately $200). This car is phenom, 10.02 seconds 1/8th mile stock. Top end is around 126 mph or so, the rev limiter. But boy 0-60mph in a sub-2400 lb car with over 200 HP it is evil-quick, nothing even comes close to me except bikes.
Favorite Features
The MOTOR man, all that ZOOM! Handling is superb, I have driven lots and lots of cars, the next best thing in my mind is an old- school 300ZX 2+2 Dual turbo. I love larger displacement highend cars but nothing beats the sheer thrill of 65 mph to 120 mph with a downshift and throttle punch!
Suggested Improvements
Mazda tried. A 2.0L with Turbo and around 9-12lbs of boost and a 8000 rpm limiter would have been perfection! I run mine at 9lbs and works just fine. The intercooler is tiny, plastic and heatsoak is instant. I have one now that is 2.8x bigger and a 5lb CO2 cryo bottle/halo system to really ZOOOOMM!!