Used 2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata model:

Plenty of zoom, zoom, zoom.
By JDH

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Weekend car. Spirited drives with local club and auto-X & track time. Tons of fun. My only negative comment is the turbo downpipe is near the driver's feet and my feet are almost always hot due to this. The added 'cool breeze zcoop' helps. Other than that I love this car.

Quick revving 1.8 L turbo engine.

A better tire could come from the factory.

Can't get any better
By AtlDave

I bought a left over brand new '05 Mazdaspeed Miata last month. WOW. After having owned the old body style, this car is everything that the old one should have been. I find the firm suspension to be just right. My driving is 90% city and in Atlanta traffic. The car is an absolute delight to drive. I have never had cars that I've wanted to go and drive just to drive until I bought a Miata. This is my second one and definitely the best. Go buy one before they're gone. They only made about 1,500 in 2005 (the factory burned). They made 4,000 in 2004, to the '05's are special. My color, Red is the most rare (only 255).

Handling and comfort. SPEED! Exclusivity. I've not seen another one! BOSE! FUN TO DRIVE!

Better fuel mileage, but I'm probably partly to blame. Cruise control (I read that they couldn't fit the cruise in the engine bay with the Turbo).

The Lava Orange Rocket
By Travelador

This is absolutely the best sports car I have ever owned, including Porsche. The handling is superb, I just wish I had the ability to drive it to the max. It really surprises the little souped up pocket rockets and the WRX's and Z3's too. I have yet to see another orange Mazdaspeed so it's really in a class of its own. The fit and finish is first class. The performance and gas mileage really improved when I changed the air filter to a K&N. Love the sound of the turbo winding with the nice exhaust note. Highway mileage really running it is around 28MPG with in town mileage averaging 23MPG. Be careful parking head in with the concrete barriers.

Performance and handling! Bose radio with Sirius in great. The automatic volume control that is speed activated works surprising well. Nothing better than dropping the top and driving along the beach on a warm sunny Florida day. Perfect!

Wish it had cruise control and of course more acceleration. Can't get enough of that. The cup holders are in a unhandy position when shifting, especially the front one.

Unsatisfied
By aargonaut

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this as a replacement for a 2000 BMW Z3 2.3 w/5 speed manual. I've had the Mazda for less than a week and I want to get rid of it. It is quick, turns on a dime, has a good stereo, and is fine to run around in. However, the seats are too soft and uncomfortable, on a rough road my teeth rattle, and I find the 6 speed transmission is geared too close so that I am constantly shifting. I'm getting rid of it as fast as I can. It also gets lousy gas mileage for a small 1.8 liter engine.

Turbo is fun, drives like a go cart.

They made them for 2006.

From 300zx turbo to MX-5
By Bob Hoffman

I have researched the Miata line for 4 years; waited for the Mazdaspeed to come out.When it finally did the only dealership available was an hour and a half away. Decided to wait for the 2006. I went to the dealership, drove both and the body styling of the 2005 and the MX-5 Mazdaspeed won hands down. Handling, power, every aspect of a true roadster, reminded me of my Spitfire but with a lot more power and comfort. Beats my '84 300zx turbo hands down. Want a sport car, a true one, buy the MX- 5 MazdaSpeed. It's a sport car not a luxury car.

Power punch of the turbo, auto volume increase is great, the whole car.

Little deeper trunk, battery in the front but they did that in '05.