2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata model:
I Never Smiled So Much on My Way to Work
By Jeff from Arizona on 08/03/05 14:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had many sports cars in my life, but none have put so many smiles on my face as this little roadster. I used to hate red lights, but now I can't wait for them as I get to run through the gears. It's not the fastest, but you will definitely be in a close second for about 20K+ less than the other guys. Lots of looks and people trying to figure out how a Miata got a hold of some steroids. I live and drive in beautiful Arizona and with this car the views don't get much better. Do yourself a favor a take one for a test drive. Go look at the S2000, Z4, Solstice (whenever it comes out; I drove one of the first Pontiac Fiero's off the line, and I won't ever do that again) -- you'll get MX-5.

Miata MX-5 turbo
By tim kemp on 07/09/05 23:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

PROS: fun to drive! Quick with a turbo boost you can really feel. Handles well. Dash and instrument lay-out and quality of interior is excellent. Not an automatic drop-top but so easy to do it doesn't matter. Friends take one look and say "this is not your ordinary Miata". CONS: short leg room (needs cruise control for long drive). Weak A/C in hot weather, but adequate.

Love It
By george peterman on 07/09/05 07:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought it for a weekend fun car, but find myself driving it everyday around the city. Ease of handling, zip and nimble in freeway traffic; all make it a dream to zoom around in. Am 6'2 and 230 lbs. and still find it accommodating. If it's sports car handling with lots of power and cornering ability you're searching for, for the money it can't be beat.

PROBLEMS
By CHRIS on 07/08/05 17:32 PM (PDT)

Purchased for my fiance; we drove to California and back to Washington. It was a blast to drive. Power and acceleration great, it averaged about 24 mpg -- who cares anyway, you don't purchase this car for mileage only fun. Anyway at 2300 miles the check engine light comes on and left my girlfriend in rainstorm was upset. Dealerr was johnny on the spot, towed car and authorized rental. Just bothers me 3 week old car having sensor problems already. We still love car though.

Mazda Miata "Best Bang for the Buck"
By Carol Scott on 07/07/05 06:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I own several performance cars, a Superformance 427" Cobra among them. The Miata offers the best road handling performance of all. Although not as fast as the Cobra in acceleration, it handles far better. Interior arrangements are above average for a car in this price range.The body style is perfect, and looks like a much more expensive sports car.

This is my 3rd Miata - I love them!
By susanjo on 05/26/05 10:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was hooked on the Miata even before my husband said the test of our first Miata purchase was whether or not a set of golf clubs fit in the trunk. They did and now I'm on my 3rd MX-5 - the first two red and this one all black. Not only is it the most reliable car I've ever had, but it is so much fun and even though I'm 54 years old, truck drivers still honk at me (really at the car) when I'm on the highway!

Little Zoom Zoom
By Roady on 03/20/05 12:42 PM (PST)

This little car will supply all of the Zoom-Zoom you could want! Rev the engine past 4000 rpm, and you are gone. Mazda did right here. Interior, exterior, and driving dynamics are all up to par. This car takes corners like none other, and the feel of the wind in your hair as you blast down the road cannot be duplicated. I got the velocity red, and when she is clean, she just gleams in the sun. This car gets looks from the tuner guys driving around in their Civics, as well as from execs in their BMW's. Of the 20+ vehicles I have owned, this is the most fun, hands down.

My Speed
By Jim Westfall on 03/14/05 21:29 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I am a motorcycle rider and the Speed is nearly as much fun as a good fast bike.

Last of the red hot roadsters
By Kevin on 03/10/05 20:08 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is everything that the Miata is famous for. The Mazdaspeed is the best roadster made better. It is the end of one of the greatest roadsters ever made. The next generation MX-5 has a multi-link rear supension and they have dropped the Miata name plate. The Mazdaspeed is a limited edition so get one while you can. It will become a sought after and rare car. Enjoy!

The mid-life crisis car.
By mickjo426 on 03/10/05 18:45 PM (PST)

My husband purchased this car as his Christmas present. He had just turned 41 and wanted a change from a luxury sedan. He loves his MX5 as well as our 2 children. We have renamed Daddy's car as the Toy Car. The children fight over who gets to in the toy car and who goes in the minivan. It is a fun car but not practical for a family with small children. Great car!