Used 2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Grand Touring Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata model:

The real Roadster
By bobszoom zoom

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2005 mazdaspeed, the minute I test drove it I had to have it. I restored z cars and have had 260 to 300 turbos. This car came out of the box ready for the track. It was built as a roadster and that's exactly what it is. Most people don't either remember the old roadsters, mg, mga, triumph spitfires etc. I had them to the person who owns an lava mica orange one I do to. And if he does some research on Mazda's Japan site. It claims the 6000 were suppose to be produced only 1600 + were because the factory burnt down. So he has as I do 1 of 390+ that were made in 2005. To the person who owns one and wants to get rid of it in favor of his BMW. You sir are not used to a roadster.

Speed roadster ride, sit high, feel the road, reliability for a turbo excellent. styling, everything about it. for a roadster rate it at a 9.8

shift pattern should be a bit shorter,

Handling so smooth it's sublime.
By Peacedog

Miata reliability meets increased performance, how can you lose? The '04-05 MS Miata was really the last of the Mohicans (RIP NB), since Mazda totally redesigned the MX-5 in 2006 to be more "user friendly" and less pure sports car. Added bonus: it seems as if the Mazda engineers left the door open for several easy speed upgrades for those wanting a little more juice. ;)

Beautiful coke bottle lines on the outside, precise shifting and sublime handling. This car will make you feel like one of the best pro drivers in the world (but be careful because like me, you're probably not;)

Stock wheels are too narrow (and too tall) for a Miata this powerful IMHO. Even if you never roll it, you'll be glad you installed a roll-bar for the added chassis stiffness. There are other upgrades that will make it faster, but I would make it safer first. Bose sound is meh - I replaced it.

Rocket Powered Go-kart!!
By Mike

I bought the car recently and it's a blast. The tires on it are pretty bad and it STILL handles like it's on rails. It's a quick car once the turbo spools up at about 3500. It's not going to beat a lot of cars on the road there are many many faster cars but that's not why I bought it. It's just plane FUN drop the top crack the Bose up and go! Yeah the comparable S2000 is faster, but you can't hear your tunes in it with that week stereo. I test drove two before I bought the mazdaspeed and i do NOT regret it one bit. It's rated to average 20mpg BULL! When I'm not getting on it I cross shift to 5th or 6th and keep the cruising revs low and get 24-26 AVERAGE. .Enjoy yours and oh yeah ZOOM ZOOM!!

The cloth drop top. The simply amazing bose stereo, I'm Disc-Jockey and it's crazy loud to me at only half way up. The turbo and upgraded handling package.

A tilt wheel would be greeeeat, with out it if your over 6' 6 1" your not going to fit too well. They could have installed a larger turbo and inter cooler from the factory and made it equal to the S2000 stock. For what it is it's a GREAT car my biggest suggestion is START MAKING THEN AGAIN!!!!!!!!

ZOOMING Past most!
By John K.

I liked it so much I bought TWO! I have a Black Mica and a Lava Orange. I bought accessories for the puny intercooler and boost controls, upgraded to cross-drilled slotted rotors and intake hard pipes with K&N filter and Blow-Off valve, Autometer boost gauge. The only drawbacks are premium gas >18mpg in town and around 25 freeway. The forward cupholder. And the lack of iPod integration (sold separately $200). This car is phenom, 10.02 seconds 1/8th mile stock. Top end is around 126 mph or so, the rev limiter. But boy 0-60mph in a sub-2400 lb car with over 200 HP it is evil-quick, nothing even comes close to me except bikes.

The MOTOR man, all that ZOOM! Handling is superb, I have driven lots and lots of cars, the next best thing in my mind is an old- school 300ZX 2+2 Dual turbo. I love larger displacement highend cars but nothing beats the sheer thrill of 65 mph to 120 mph with a downshift and throttle punch!

Mazda tried. A 2.0L with Turbo and around 9-12lbs of boost and a 8000 rpm limiter would have been perfection! I run mine at 9lbs and works just fine. The intercooler is tiny, plastic and heatsoak is instant. I have one now that is 2.8x bigger and a 5lb CO2 cryo bottle/halo system to really ZOOOOMM!!

Plenty of zoom, zoom, zoom.
By JDH

Weekend car. Spirited drives with local club and auto-X & track time. Tons of fun. My only negative comment is the turbo downpipe is near the driver's feet and my feet are almost always hot due to this. The added 'cool breeze zcoop' helps. Other than that I love this car.

Quick revving 1.8 L turbo engine.

A better tire could come from the factory.