2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata model:

Sort Reviews by

The real Roadster
By bobszoom zoom

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2005 mazdaspeed, the minute I test drove it I had to have it. I restored z cars and have had 260 to 300 turbos. This car came out of the box ready for the track. It was built as a roadster and that's exactly what it is. Most people don't either remember the old roadsters, mg, mga, triumph spitfires etc. I had them to the person who owns an lava mica orange one I do to. And if he does some research on Mazda's Japan site. It claims the 6000 were suppose to be produced only 1600 + were because the factory burnt down. So he has as I do 1 of 390+ that were made in 2005. To the person who owns one and wants to get rid of it in favor of his BMW. You sir are not used to a roadster.

Favorite Features

Speed roadster ride, sit high, feel the road, reliability for a turbo excellent. styling, everything about it. for a roadster rate it at a 9.8

Suggested Improvements

shift pattern should be a bit shorter,

Handling so smooth it's sublime.
By Peacedog

Miata reliability meets increased performance, how can you lose? The '04-05 MS Miata was really the last of the Mohicans (RIP NB), since Mazda totally redesigned the MX-5 in 2006 to be more "user friendly" and less pure sports car. Added bonus: it seems as if the Mazda engineers left the door open for several easy speed upgrades for those wanting a little more juice. ;)

Favorite Features

Beautiful coke bottle lines on the outside, precise shifting and sublime handling. This car will make you feel like one of the best pro drivers in the world (but be careful because like me, you're probably not;)

Suggested Improvements

Stock wheels are too narrow (and too tall) for a Miata this powerful IMHO. Even if you never roll it, you'll be glad you installed a roll-bar for the added chassis stiffness. There are other upgrades that will make it faster, but I would make it safer first. Bose sound is meh - I replaced it.

Rocket Powered Go-kart!!
By Mike

I bought the car recently and it's a blast. The tires on it are pretty bad and it STILL handles like it's on rails. It's a quick car once the turbo spools up at about 3500. It's not going to beat a lot of cars on the road there are many many faster cars but that's not why I bought it. It's just plane FUN drop the top crack the Bose up and go! Yeah the comparable S2000 is faster, but you can't hear your tunes in it with that week stereo. I test drove two before I bought the mazdaspeed and i do NOT regret it one bit. It's rated to average 20mpg BULL! When I'm not getting on it I cross shift to 5th or 6th and keep the cruising revs low and get 24-26 AVERAGE. .Enjoy yours and oh yeah ZOOM ZOOM!!

Favorite Features

The cloth drop top. The simply amazing bose stereo, I'm Disc-Jockey and it's crazy loud to me at only half way up. The turbo and upgraded handling package.

Suggested Improvements

A tilt wheel would be greeeeat, with out it if your over 6' 6 1" your not going to fit too well. They could have installed a larger turbo and inter cooler from the factory and made it equal to the S2000 stock. For what it is it's a GREAT car my biggest suggestion is START MAKING THEN AGAIN!!!!!!!!

ZOOMING Past most!
By John K.

I liked it so much I bought TWO! I have a Black Mica and a Lava Orange. I bought accessories for the puny intercooler and boost controls, upgraded to cross-drilled slotted rotors and intake hard pipes with K&N filter and Blow-Off valve, Autometer boost gauge. The only drawbacks are premium gas >18mpg in town and around 25 freeway. The forward cupholder. And the lack of iPod integration (sold separately $200). This car is phenom, 10.02 seconds 1/8th mile stock. Top end is around 126 mph or so, the rev limiter. But boy 0-60mph in a sub-2400 lb car with over 200 HP it is evil-quick, nothing even comes close to me except bikes.

Favorite Features

The MOTOR man, all that ZOOM! Handling is superb, I have driven lots and lots of cars, the next best thing in my mind is an old- school 300ZX 2+2 Dual turbo. I love larger displacement highend cars but nothing beats the sheer thrill of 65 mph to 120 mph with a downshift and throttle punch!

Suggested Improvements

Mazda tried. A 2.0L with Turbo and around 9-12lbs of boost and a 8000 rpm limiter would have been perfection! I run mine at 9lbs and works just fine. The intercooler is tiny, plastic and heatsoak is instant. I have one now that is 2.8x bigger and a 5lb CO2 cryo bottle/halo system to really ZOOOOMM!!

If it is Miata, buy it
By secil

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

It is a rare car, turbo-charged engine powers car great. This is one still called Miata. Mazda people dropped miata name, so pity. New Mazda is not good as Mazdaspeed Miata. If you find one, buy it. It is rare car, I looked for it everywhere. It is hard to find, easy to drive.

Favorite Features

Rims, tires, Bose 6 cd changer in dash, performance, fog lights, leather seats, rear wheel drive especially driving over 100 mph, gas mileage, exterior design, weight, easy to park.

Suggested Improvements

6-speed is not bad but prefer 5-speed. Power top would be nice but not that much problem. Tilt steering wheel,more powerful turbo with 220 HP like Lotus Elise. New 2 liter Mazda turbo will be coming but only 200 hp, not good enough. 2 cup holder, raise redline rpm, stronger A/C.

Plenty of zoom, zoom, zoom.
By JDH

Weekend car. Spirited drives with local club and auto-X & track time. Tons of fun. My only negative comment is the turbo downpipe is near the driver's feet and my feet are almost always hot due to this. The added 'cool breeze zcoop' helps. Other than that I love this car.

Favorite Features

Quick revving 1.8 L turbo engine.

Suggested Improvements

A better tire could come from the factory.

Can't get any better
By AtlDave

I bought a left over brand new '05 Mazdaspeed Miata last month. WOW. After having owned the old body style, this car is everything that the old one should have been. I find the firm suspension to be just right. My driving is 90% city and in Atlanta traffic. The car is an absolute delight to drive. I have never had cars that I've wanted to go and drive just to drive until I bought a Miata. This is my second one and definitely the best. Go buy one before they're gone. They only made about 1,500 in 2005 (the factory burned). They made 4,000 in 2004, to the '05's are special. My color, Red is the most rare (only 255).

Favorite Features

Handling and comfort. SPEED! Exclusivity. I've not seen another one! BOSE! FUN TO DRIVE!

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage, but I'm probably partly to blame. Cruise control (I read that they couldn't fit the cruise in the engine bay with the Turbo).

The Lava Orange Rocket
By Travelador

This is absolutely the best sports car I have ever owned, including Porsche. The handling is superb, I just wish I had the ability to drive it to the max. It really surprises the little souped up pocket rockets and the WRX's and Z3's too. I have yet to see another orange Mazdaspeed so it's really in a class of its own. The fit and finish is first class. The performance and gas mileage really improved when I changed the air filter to a K&N. Love the sound of the turbo winding with the nice exhaust note. Highway mileage really running it is around 28MPG with in town mileage averaging 23MPG. Be careful parking head in with the concrete barriers.

Favorite Features

Performance and handling! Bose radio with Sirius in great. The automatic volume control that is speed activated works surprising well. Nothing better than dropping the top and driving along the beach on a warm sunny Florida day. Perfect!

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had cruise control and of course more acceleration. Can't get enough of that. The cup holders are in a unhandy position when shifting, especially the front one.

Unsatisfied
By aargonaut

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this as a replacement for a 2000 BMW Z3 2.3 w/5 speed manual. I've had the Mazda for less than a week and I want to get rid of it. It is quick, turns on a dime, has a good stereo, and is fine to run around in. However, the seats are too soft and uncomfortable, on a rough road my teeth rattle, and I find the 6 speed transmission is geared too close so that I am constantly shifting. I'm getting rid of it as fast as I can. It also gets lousy gas mileage for a small 1.8 liter engine.

Favorite Features

Turbo is fun, drives like a go cart.

Suggested Improvements

They made them for 2006.

From 300zx turbo to MX-5
By Bob Hoffman

I have researched the Miata line for 4 years; waited for the Mazdaspeed to come out.When it finally did the only dealership available was an hour and a half away. Decided to wait for the 2006. I went to the dealership, drove both and the body styling of the 2005 and the MX-5 Mazdaspeed won hands down. Handling, power, every aspect of a true roadster, reminded me of my Spitfire but with a lot more power and comfort. Beats my '84 300zx turbo hands down. Want a sport car, a true one, buy the MX- 5 MazdaSpeed. It's a sport car not a luxury car.

Favorite Features

Power punch of the turbo, auto volume increase is great, the whole car.

Suggested Improvements

Little deeper trunk, battery in the front but they did that in '05.