2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Consumer Review: The Little Roadster Who Could

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata - Consumer Review

The Little Roadster Who Could
By toydriver on

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a fun to drive, small, 2 seat convertible that would fit in my small 2 car garage and tote my golf bag in the trunk. I have been pleasantly surprised. The turbo-charged Miata has adequate torque and horsepower. Having owned Honda S2000 and Corvettes I just wasn't all that impressed with the power in the 2nd gen. base model Miata. The MazdaSpeed is much better in that regard. I'm not impressed with the stability of the tires and 17in wheels over unlevel pavement. It's not as stable over 85mph as I had expected. However, I love the short throw shifter and clutch response. It looks great. The manual drop top is easy to use from the driver seat.

Short throw shifter. Predictable clutch response. Cornering stability. Power-on oversteer (when feeling the need). Trunk holds golf clubs. Glass rear window. Classic roadster appearance.

Door rattle. The 17 in wheel/tire combination might be too much for the suspension; even though it looks good. Higher tach redline.