Used 2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed-mx-5-miata - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (51 reviews )

It is awesome.
By Ryan

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The price for this performance is out of this world. I do want a rollbar, it only feels a little unsafe. But if you're careful, this car is a VERY enjoyable ride and if you live somewhere where the winter is short enough (even NY is tolerable if you have tires), this car is out of this world. It looks like a Z3 and a Corvette at points (vette in the side view mirrors, you'll see). the tranny is excellent, clutch light, car nimble and handles great, really a 50-50 go cart.

Favorite Features

VERY short gearing. Rock hard suspension, Easy convertible top. Wheels look insanely big, the car looks incredible, not to mention the smoked headlights and metal "Mazdaspeed" door inserts.

Suggested Improvements

Tilt wheel would be so nice, I'm tall. Hard top should be an option, as with roll bar. Stereo is nice but not what I was expecting. Doesn't matter, this car is perfect in almost every other way. There is no space, but that's what you have to expect in buying it. Simply awesome I'm tellin you.

Almost Perfect
By David Boggs

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The price and performance of the Mazdaspeed Miata are amazing. The little IHI turbo is exactly what the Miata needed to make it more aggressive, and it pulls hard above 4000 rpm, all the way to redline.

Favorite Features

The extra power, excellent sound system, easy-to-use convertible top, and upgraded suspension.

Suggested Improvements

The boost in the car seems a little laggy for such a small turbocharger. I expected the power to come on earlier and more smoothly.

Simply Awesome!
By Andrew

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got mine back in April right off the truck. It's the greatest car I've ever owned! The only complaints I have with it are that I wish it had a key hole light, and cruise control. The shifter takes some getting used to. The tendency is to over guide it when all it needs is pushed back and forth with a bit of side pressure for 1-2 and 5-6. The car gets 32 mpg on the highway, and 24 mpg in town. It has just a bit of oversteer, with none of the body flex that my '91 model had. The ride is kind of brutal on the freeway, but that's to be expected. Just make sure you're pointed in the right direction and there's no cars in front of you when the turbo kicks in!

Favorite Features

Acceleration, gas mileage, fit and finish, and awesome handling.

Suggested Improvements

It could use better interior lighting and cruise control.

Zoom zoom zoom
By TWago

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The only bad thing about this car is that I am not the only one who owns it! Go-cart handling, lots of power and a sunny day with the top down makes some girls look at you as if they wanted to jump in the passenger seat.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine Handling Nice interior Sport suspension

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder seems to have conflicts with my elbow

what a blast
By manny

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

love the drive , had a boxster previously and was sick of all the porsche hype . This miata is half the cost and twice the fun . The handling is incredible and the turbo lag is really non-existent . Performs extremely well on the bends and turns . No oversteer or understeer it goes where I point it . Unbeleivable body rigidity for a ragtop. I really like the fact that it handles and drives like a go-kart with an adequate amount of practicality . This is one of the most fun vehicles I have ever driven , can't seem to get the smile off my face . The torque band is exactly where it should be for a vehicle of this weight.

Favorite Features

Short shift , very nice . 17 inch wheels look awesome and are very functional. The spoilers are not too bold but make a statement. I love the color , red with gold metalic . Interior is well appointed again not too bold but just enough to say COOL .

Suggested Improvements

More trunk space . My boxster had tones of space with the mid engine design. Front stabilizer bar should be a smaller diameter , with the strut stifner in place the front end is a slight bit harsh .