2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (51 reviews )
257,000 Miles
By johnchun on 09/16/12 22:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

176,000 miles & 81,000 miles on 2nd car. Both are Turbos. Burn rubber every day. Race 1x/week Los Angeles 1/8 mile, Auto X monthly. Still nothing breaks except rims, tires, windshield, oil, filters, break pads, etc. etc. etc. Only 1 clutch, 26 sets of tires, 6 sets of rims bent or cracked....

100% RACE CAR EVERY DAY Zero Problems
By Cash4Acres on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

1=I own 2 of these cars since very rare 2=burn rubber every day no problems 3=drift drag pop clutch stops! Tough car! 4-148k+67k miles each!=little repairs! 5-raced8 states autox & eats tires/rims! 6-ran over motorcycle=$500 cheap damage! 7-can't break car=like a diesel truck! 8-3cracked windshields=crazy driving! 9-3sets bent rims, 18 sets tires! 10-best tough durable hot red-line car! 11-if you did this "workout" with any other car, it would break weekly! 12-brake pads & clutch last over 100k 13-still burning rubber every day! 14-get gps+radar+laser+camera beeper! 15-get after market tougher rims! 16-tires=usa Japanese Euro only! 17-cheap oil/filter/service changes! 18-frugal fun car!

Still the best Roadster around!
By mazdaspeed504 on 06/14/08 06:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is absolutely the most fun I've had in a car in my life. The car is fun as is but when you take the top down there is no other car i'd rather have. Handling, performance, reliability are all first rate. The MSM feels faster than S2000s.

The Little Roadster Who Could
By toydriver on 05/30/08 21:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a fun to drive, small, 2 seat convertible that would fit in my small 2 car garage and tote my golf bag in the trunk. I have been pleasantly surprised. The turbo-charged Miata has adequate torque and horsepower. Having owned Honda S2000 and Corvettes I just wasn't all that impressed with the power in the 2nd gen. base model Miata. The MazdaSpeed is much better in that regard. I'm not impressed with the stability of the tires and 17in wheels over unlevel pavement. It's not as stable over 85mph as I had expected. However, I love the short throw shifter and clutch response. It looks great. The manual drop top is easy to use from the driver seat.

Great Car!!
By Eric on 04/07/08 15:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just picked up my MazdaSpeed. Wow I love it, I had a GTI 1.8t before this car. I would not even think about trading back unless I wanted the space but I own another that seats more. I love this car my friends say it's a girl car then I shut them up on the back roads. Mazda you get an A+ from me. For a stock car this thing kicks.

1st Mazdaspeed Miata over 100,000 miles
By 106K MILES 3 YEARS! on 04/03/08 13:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Retired hot rod driver, auto cross racer & x=dirt bike rider! 7 states racing auto-x, drag racing in Houston, daily burnouts, no baby chirps. Many 360's & figure 8's. I can even slingshot this car backwards at redline! 9 sets of back tires! 2 cracked windshields from body twist=racing! 3 damaged rims=my fault! Changed clutch@99k miles=67%used! Front pads=99k! Syn oil changes@3k miles. Most reliable & tough car ever owned! Best fun per mile ever! Not 1 ticket or stopped by a cop in 106k miles of burnouts and drifting! Top 1% fun & reliable! 1000+ daily burnouts in 3 years with no mechanical problems! Can any car on Earth do all this above? Avoid PWC towing, almost went swimming!

Fun Factor is excellent, but safety?
By Jerry N. on 11/09/07 08:37 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

2nd Miata owned; 1st Speed version. Loved both, but there's no comparison. The Speed is one hot little car & a fun ride for both guys and gals who really enjoy driving! So much said about this car, but never on safety, so here's my pitch. Two serious accidents in the Speed; deer at 70 last year on dark KY interstate and wife T-boned yesterday (11/08/07) in Omaha. Belts, seats & cars agility saved us from more critical injuries both times although the car was totaled in yesterday's wreck. Walk away both times. No fear & am seeking Speed replacement as any other car we wouldn't have fared as well. Besides, it's a real kick for less bucks than anything comparable.

Great Car. A real keeper
By Tony on 03/18/07 03:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My first Miata and I absolutely love it. Very fun to drive and handles great.

Great for the money
By ERicincal on 10/17/06 02:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a GREAT car. In the last 5 years I have owned a NSX, a Miata (NA), an S2000, an RX8, and then this Mazdaspeed. On a pure driving experience, the Mazdaspeed rates highest of the cars I have owned. No, its not the fastest, but it's the most fun. It handles really well and communicates really well with the driver. You can drive the car at 99% of its limit, and it tells you exactly where it is. The other cars I mentioned before have much higher performance limits, but don't communicate nearly as well as the Miata. $5000 in aftermarket parts will put this little car in the 300hp range and embarrass cars costing 3 times as much.

Love my Baby
By Banana on 01/20/06 14:47 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just love my little Speed Miata! I love to take corners in it. I only wish it came in more than two colors, but road grey or red ... it was an easy choice!