Used 2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (51 reviews )

257,000 Miles
By johnchun

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

176,000 miles & 81,000 miles on 2nd car. Both are Turbos. Burn rubber every day. Race 1x/week Los Angeles 1/8 mile, Auto X monthly. Still nothing breaks except rims, tires, windshield, oil, filters, break pads, etc. etc. etc. Only 1 clutch, 26 sets of tires, 6 sets of rims bent or cracked....

More strong and durable than a Cat Diesel 18 wheeler on steroids...

2013-2014 turbo Miata needed....

100% RACE CAR EVERY DAY Zero Problems
By Cash4Acres

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

1=I own 2 of these cars since very rare 2=burn rubber every day no problems 3=drift drag pop clutch stops! Tough car! 4-148k+67k miles each!=little repairs! 5-raced8 states autox & eats tires/rims! 6-ran over motorcycle=$500 cheap damage! 7-can't break car=like a diesel truck! 8-3cracked windshields=crazy driving! 9-3sets bent rims, 18 sets tires! 10-best tough durable hot red-line car! 11-if you did this "workout" with any other car, it would break weekly! 12-brake pads & clutch last over 100k 13-still burning rubber every day! 14-get gps+radar+laser+camera beeper! 15-get after market tougher rims! 16-tires=usa Japanese Euro only! 17-cheap oil/filter/service changes! 18-frugal fun car!

Frugal cheap maintenance & operations fantastic network of cheap parts many sell parts for 50-80% off easy to burn rubber every day feel like 17 years old every day high desire to drive every day need "air horn" to blast others! Need "back up beeper" 4 others! Don't need cash 4 repairs!

1=2006-2011 need a Turbo Mazdaspeed Mx5 Miata from Japan Mazda Factory! 2=Need cable T handle4lift top! $3 item 3=No light rims! too easy to warp/bend! 4=Louder muffler & Cold air intake! 5=Free Test drives at RACES! 6=More options from JAPAN! 7=More Turbos & Super chargers! Thank you MazdaUSA.com

Still the best Roadster around!
By mazdaspeed504

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is absolutely the most fun I've had in a car in my life. The car is fun as is but when you take the top down there is no other car i'd rather have. Handling, performance, reliability are all first rate. The MSM feels faster than S2000s.

Turbo, interior layout, exterior design, and of course being a convertible. Plus Miatas are very reliable cars.

Definitely higher redline, cruise control, adjustable steering wheel, and a bigger intercooler

The Little Roadster Who Could
By toydriver

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for a fun to drive, small, 2 seat convertible that would fit in my small 2 car garage and tote my golf bag in the trunk. I have been pleasantly surprised. The turbo-charged Miata has adequate torque and horsepower. Having owned Honda S2000 and Corvettes I just wasn't all that impressed with the power in the 2nd gen. base model Miata. The MazdaSpeed is much better in that regard. I'm not impressed with the stability of the tires and 17in wheels over unlevel pavement. It's not as stable over 85mph as I had expected. However, I love the short throw shifter and clutch response. It looks great. The manual drop top is easy to use from the driver seat.

Short throw shifter. Predictable clutch response. Cornering stability. Power-on oversteer (when feeling the need). Trunk holds golf clubs. Glass rear window. Classic roadster appearance.

Door rattle. The 17 in wheel/tire combination might be too much for the suspension; even though it looks good. Higher tach redline.

Great Car!!
By Eric

2004 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just picked up my MazdaSpeed. Wow I love it, I had a GTI 1.8t before this car. I would not even think about trading back unless I wanted the space but I own another that seats more. I love this car my friends say it's a girl car then I shut them up on the back roads. Mazda you get an A+ from me. For a stock car this thing kicks.

handling

Roll bar stock other then that nothing at all.