Learn to Drive All Over Again
By Chemazda on
2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
This car is driven in southern Germany, and I'm lucky enought to scale a mountain road in it every day to and from work. It's absolutely in its element there, and enormously satisfying to drive fast. Autobahns are no problem, as it seems happiest above 100mph. I have to agree with the gripes about the clutch - I've never had this much difficulty driving a vehicle smoothly. When you get it right, it's awesome. If not, it can be embarrassing and frustrating. I miss the linearity in acceleration of non-turbo performance engines, but this thing pulls like a V-8 under full throttle and is truly impressive. Clean the stock wheels and they look nice, it's just a nightmare to keep them that way.
Favorite Features
Frenetic power delivery. Superb grip - with a set of Pirelli Snowsports I felt 100% safe in snowy mountain weather. Exclusivity (at least in Europe). Accelerates like a V-8.
Suggested Improvements
Redesign the clutch, it's seriously like an on/off swicth. Wider tires and wheels to give it a more aggressive look. Folding rear seats would be nice. Exhaust sound is uninspiring. Stereo should have mp3 capability. Loses thrust way before redline (about 5500rpm). Lower the car 1" for aesthetics.