2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Consumer Review: Grown-up Performance

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sedan - Consumer Review

Grown-up Performance
By ccgillett on

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Grand Touring 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

As a car enthusiast, I wanted a performance car with adult looks. The Speed6 delivers without the ticket-me-now air scoop and teenage styling cues found on the Mitsu Evo and Subaru WRX. The Speed6 is understated style, with great looks and awesome handling. Assembled in Japan, build quality is excellent. The Speed6 is even-tempered, providing ample feedback as you approach the limits. Turbo lag is noticeable but predictable. One minor complaint is that the RWD kicks in roughly in certain gears. For family outings, it has solid road feel with ample space for my wife and daughter. I bought my 2006 in February 2007. Pick one up while you can.

The 6 speed manual transmission and AWD are terrific. The Bose stereo sounds great for a factory radio, the bi-level dash with info display closer to windshield level combined with on-wheel controls is great for distraction-free driving. Xenon headlights height adjustable and bright.

Heated seats are on/off only, and should be adjustable. There should be a bracket on the fuel door to hold the gas cap during refueling. I would have liked a more comprehensive on-board computer with fuel mileage, running time, etc.