Awesome Car but has its issues.
By John on
2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Grand Touring 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I bought the car with 12000 miles on it and out of the 9 vehicles I have owned it is by far my favorite. The transmission had to be rebuilt at 18000 miles. Thankfully it was under warranty. The reverse lights don't work and I think that has to do with the rebuilt transmission. The car has inconsistent power because of a hyper sensitive knock sensor and I use 93 octane only. I use Mobile1 Extended Performance and it really helps with power. Change oil every 5-7K. I am going to put on a new intake, exhaust, lowering sport springs, and get a COBB ECU programmer. Should take care of the power issues and put the peak HP over 325. Don't buy this car unless you can deal with some issues.
Favorite Features
Performance for the price. Excellent value and an awesome car to drive. The AWD gives it great handling. I enjoy the subtle looks. Blending in is good if you want to push it and avoid unwanted attention.
Suggested Improvements
Slightly lower suspension (1-2"). Needs a better intake and exhaust ... California emissions hinders the performance of the car. Really needs to have the ECU flashed. Factory engine management is horrid. The knock sensor is too sensitive and kills the power quite often.