Used 2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed-mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Mazda6 model:

MS 6 GT So far, so good
By rickster

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Sedan Grand Touring 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had my MS 6 now for 6 months and 7,500 miles. It is a lot of fun to drive, but takes some work to master the clutch and gas pedal. The clutch is a bit edgy, and you need to back off the gas as the turbo spools up, especially in first and second!! One item seen in many reviews is the fuel mileage the MS 6 gets. For the first 2,500 miles the best I could do was 18 to 19 MPG. At 2,500 I changed the oil with Royal Purple. On the same driving route I am averaging 25 MPG mixed hwy and city. On the hwy I run 70 to 80 MPH, so I don't feel I'm driving too easy. Some may feel the car has a stiff ride, well it does, but drives like it's on rails!! Not for every one but right for me!!

Favorite Features

Power and handling, it will dust just about anything on the road. I enjoy the fact that it requires some skill do drive well.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Love it!
By Speedsixmaniac

Since purchasing my Speed6, the dollar:fun factor ratio is unbeatable. Other vehicles offering all that the MS6 does cost almost twice as much (read: Audi). Very happy thus far with this vehicle all around.

Favorite Features

To name a few: DISI Turbo 4, AWD, HID, leather, amount of space available, handling, keyless entry and ignition.

Suggested Improvements

Possibly more distinctive from the standard 6.

Simply Incredible.
By A Texan

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Sedan Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

275 turbocharged HP. Racing suspension. Handles incredibly well. All wheel drive. Nice exterior. Well built. Smooth ride. Nearly impossibe to skid in any direction 145 mp top speed. Luxury look. Will ruin your desire for other cars.

Favorite Features

Suspension, engine, interior.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really. Might feature an automatic transmission option.

Good bang for the buck
By TBG

Have had this car for over a year and love it. Have had very few problems outside of getting the keylees entry module replaced for the trunk, which was covered under warranty. Otherwise the car has been supurb. Power hits hard and is smooth to about 5500 rpm. I would suggest getting an upgrade to the ECU to tap into the full capibility of this turbo, but be aware the turbo is pretty well maxed out. There are several mods you can do to help this. Critically speaking, you must put 91+ in the car or it goes into limp mode, the build quality is a little less than the upper end cars so I have been noticing a few squeaks here and there, but nothing annoying as of yet.

Favorite Features

Favorite feature is the keyless entry. You don't ever have to lock or unlock the car, it just knows when you're near it and allows entry. Also automatically locks the car too... very cool.

Suggested Improvements

The car need a bigger turbo (stock one runs out of breath at 5500 rpm), better innercooler (front mount would be best to avoid heatsoak issues) and wider tires (stockers are 215mm).

What I have been waiting for.
By Wayne Grabow

To me this is the perfect size car, ample for four average-sized adults. It actually has more power than needed, but handles it very well. I have over 12,000 miles already on it. The worst gas mileage it has recorded is 24 mpg; the best about 29 mpg. You must enjoy shifting to use its capabilities - 6 speeds and a turbo power band between 2900 and 5600 rpm. Engine is very quiet. I drive in mountains and snow; traction is excellent. Handling is predictable and "like being on rails". I enjoy the understated appearance; think the exhaust outlets are a bit overdone. With a slight effort you can fold the rear seats down, allowing snow skis to be carried inside, or take your dog on a trip.

Favorite Features

AWD, automatic climate control, audio system, compact size, decent gas mileage, understated exterior, bargain price.

Suggested Improvements

Increase tire clearances slightly to allow use of more tire options, i.e. winter tire sizes.