2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Mazda6 model:
red bull
By morgan on 10/10/06 20:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Sedan Grand Touring 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love it so far. The shift from 1st to 2nd is the only aspect of this car that has been disappointing so far. I kinda have to pause and or rev slightly due to syncro slight blockage. :-(

Incredibly fun to drive & turns heads
By MazdaSpeed 6 on 10/08/06 18:48 PM (PDT)

I purchased my car in Aug '06. A week later a friend that had driven mine went and bought one himself. I have been getting so many good comments on this car even from complete strangers. Mostly no one has ever heard of the MazdaSpeed series, but once they drive it they understand where the name derived from.

Mazda has nailed it!
By jhatfie on 09/21/06 06:59 AM (PDT)

This is my second Mazda and second performance AWD vehicle. I am very impressed with Mazda's offering. It offers amazing performance for not much money. The only bummer is that it looks too close to a normal Mazda 6, which is not bad because they are handsome cars, but a limited production car like this deserves a little more separation. Interior is nice, not class leading but quality materials and craftsmanship is used. Very impressed!

Fun to drive
By Matthew on 09/16/06 22:00 PM (PDT)

The acceleration on wet roads is spectacular. With that, the braking ability inspires confidence. Ride is firm but not fatiguing, and the handling is comfortable in all but the tightest turns. DSC is unaggressive and only comes on with major weight shifts. Clutch takes some getting used to, but even in urban driving with hills it is easy to learn. Excellent car for road trips - driver and passengers arrive relaxed. Shifts are a bit heavy, but still smooth. Can outrun the majority of cars on the road - especially in bad weather.

It is a little Shady
By dan on 09/16/06 19:14 PM (PDT)

I read the reviews, and there were two things that stood out that I have found are problems; random loss of power and the clutch is a piece of garbage. When I first got it I worshiped it, but with time, I noticed the clutch slips at higher RPMs under acceleration and I have always noticed the times when it loses power. And you never know when the power will not be there. Bad in hilly areas with that clutch. Oh and the build quality, some parts are super cheap. Maybe that is just cause I came from an Audi. And once in a while my shifter is really stiff.

Mazda on the right track.
By Shawn on 09/14/06 16:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Sedan Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Just got this MS6 about a month ago and have 800 miles on it so far. Love the overall look and feel of the car inside and out. I'm not a sedan person at heart, but I was willing to compromise on that to get this car over similarly priced sport coupes. It's the fastest car I've owned and it handles great too. Nothing about this car is light. The steering, clutch pedal, shifter, and brakes all have a substantial feel to them more reminiscent of something German, not Japanese. The ride is quiet, smooth and forgiving; however it is still stiff and sporty feeling. Gas mileage isn't too bad. I averaged 27mpg (mostly highway 75mph+), and still 24.3mpg (mixed driving, with lots of boosting.)

Not just speed
By Power and control on 09/13/06 05:43 AM (PDT)

A real joy on "twisty" roads, once you get used to the clutch. Emergency handling (after hitting road debris and a double blow out at 80 mph) was also great. Buy a full sized spare, the tires are hard to find, and the Potenzas are expensive and a little noisy. Mileage is OK, but not great. Fit and finish are above average,and the 4 banger is remarkably quiet at idle. The fake exhausts are cheesy, but otherwise the car is a pleasure to look at. Overall this is one of my favorite cars, and just the thing to brighten the day of any post-adolescent driver.

Zoom-Zoom No More
By Zoomless on 09/08/06 11:10 AM (PDT)

We purchased our car in June and loved everything about, especially the great acceleration for highway passing and interstate merging. But that was before Mazda implemented recall 4106E to eliminate engine knocking by changing the ignition timing. The recall was classified (disguised) as an emission recall so we dutifully had the recall performed in August. The result was a dramatic reduction in acceleration without a hint of the turbo kicking in. We had the dealer check out the condition and were told that all was as specified by the recall. The loss of acceleration is enough that we cannot recommend the Speed6 to anyone. Shame-Shame on Mazda for taking the Zoom-Zoom out of our Speed6!

3000 mile review
By Keith on 09/01/06 19:50 PM (PDT)

One of the best I have owned. Fast, top build quality, nice looks (turns heads), corners on rails, interior accents, and just so fun to drive. I choose the sport over the GT mostly because of the price and and cloth seats were very comfy and supported well. I'm averaging around 21 MPG total so far. Would be more happy hitting 23 MPG. Rides nice on trips, not too rough but not a lux ride either. Nice exhaust tone for a 4 cylinder. HID are nice but seem weak compared to the Acura TL. Would like to see a firmer clutch, seems soft when starting from a stop and worse on a hill. Changing the oil is different because of the canister filter. Planning mods: CAI, boost gauge, MP3 hook up, GPS, set of wheels, shark fin antenna.

I love this car!
By 67King on 08/24/06 04:43 AM (PDT)

This has been the most rewarding new car purchase I've ever made. Whets my appetite for getting out my track car. Performance exceeds expectations, fuel economy exceeds expectations, build quality exceeds expectations. Steering is a tad heavy, but that's to be expected with a car this heavy. This is a competitor to the Audi S4 for $20,000 less. The only shortcomings are the undersized turbo and clutch. The engine falls on its face at 5500 RPM, despite 1200 more revs until fuel shutoff. A larger turbo would alleviate this.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.