Used 2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed 6 model:

Low Quality Car With High Performance
By Matt'sSpeed6

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Grand Touring 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First Off: I LOVE driving this car. However, I HATE the car's quality. I have been complaining to the dealer about an engine noise since 5000 miles. And in those 13000 miles since, the noise has been acknowledged, but not repaired. Even Mazda USA Corp will not address my concern. This is my second Mazda I own and it unfotunately will be the last. This car suits me so well. At 6'1", interior size is perfect. It has an understated look that many find elegant. I find the view from the profile could use some improvment. I truly enjoy driving this car; great perfomance at a great price. Lack of dealer and corporate support for the car forces me to reconsider future purchases.

Favorite Features

Power/performance. AWD capability. Subtle (sleeper?) looks.

Suggested Improvements

Engine quality. Dealer support. Corproate support. Put a real exaust on. Adjustable heated seats. **Owners will need to purchase all- season or winter tires for snowy climates.** This was known to me when I purchased the car - not a complaint, just a recommendation to other future owners.

Loads of Fun!
By Auron K

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This has been a very dependable car since I bought it in July 2006. I have been able to drive it in all seasons and the car has been great! I put Blizzaks on for the winter and with the AWD I had no problems at all getting around in snow. The fuel economy has been better than the EPA ratings. I average around 25-26 during normal driving but if you drive more aggressively, expect mpg's in the low 20s. I've seen as high as 31 mpg on road trips and as low as 22 in town. The car has been in for minor repairs like check engine light, radio/climate control display quit working, and a light clanking sound coming from the front suspension. Car now has 34,000 miles and is fun to drive every day!

Favorite Features

Black cherry paint with gold package gets lots of stares! HID lights are a nice touch. Climate control keeps you comfortable in all seasons. Plenty of power and acceleration for any driving condition. AWD is nice too!

Suggested Improvements

Car requires premium fuel which can be quite expensive. Car has a few minor rattles and creaks in colder weather.

Mazdaspeed6 are unreliable garbage
By cindy

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Car has problems left and right. I never had so much problem on a NEW car before. Differential bracket broke, Ebrake gets stuck when its up, oil is leaking from engine, tires are junk, steering wheel is making clunking sound when turning, turbo lags and hesitates, so many recalls after recalls. Car has 20,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The body style

Suggested Improvements

everything listed above

Clutch problems
By Ben44dkm

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Grand Touring 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my car love the way it drives, but it's a different story when you start talking reliability. I had the clutch burn up 2000 miles after I bought it used at 11k. They replaced it around 14k under warranty. But now it's going out again after 5500 miles. They are refusing to cover it again without even looking at it. Not a fan of legacy Mazda in provo.

Favorite Features

Performance! When it works... The interior is beautiful, but starting to creak in the cold.

Suggested Improvements

Dash lighting is sub par, could loose the aggressive red. And a new clutch design would rock.

A Little Stiff
By Snow Driver

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Grand Touring 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a commuting car for me. The overall performance is very good. Great mid-range acceleration, a decent AWD system. I have Blizzaks, have worked it hard in the snow and the system is not nearly as good as Audi quattro. You can't hold a straight line under full throttle as with the Audi, but you quickly adapt. A solid car. The suspension is very stiff, clutch a little high. The wife calls it a "chuckwagon". I love it. Had one weird experience: gulped a quart of oil on me in about 200 miles on a very cold day (about 10 degrees), driving freeway. Car had about 5,000 miles at the time. No problems since. Dealer had no explanation.

Favorite Features

Zoom zoom! Love the boost. Has a very light, responsive feel.

Suggested Improvements

The 18" wheels look great, but they make for a harsh ride, especially in winter. Ditch the plastic body moldings, fake exhausts, rear deck lid. You don't see that crap on an Audi or Bimmer.