Used 2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed-6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed 6 model:

A blast to drive
By costeld

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sedan Grand Touring 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A tremendous performance bargain! Very, very fun. No problems during my 20K ownership. Excellent handling and acceleration. Lots of recalls, however, one of which (ECU reprogram) seemed to reduce acceleration. Steering feel superb, shifter itself solid (although car has a very touchy clutch from 1st to 2nd; takes some getting used to. Best clutch operation under heavier acceleration. A true sleeper! Astounding good looks but not riddled with badges advertising AWD, turbo, stability control, etc (e.g. subaru). No juvenile wings/vents. Very supportive front seats. Loved the car. It has been a benchmark by which I judged more recent purchases.

Favorite Features

Better-than-advertised acceleration. Good cornering/braking performance. Outstanding looks. A great buy for an auto enthusiast.

Suggested Improvements

Very sensitive clutch. Key card and keyless start system unnecessary gimmick. I think manufacturers have realized this since there are a plethora of models that still use traditional key. Button on door handle didnt work half the time and the card shaped "keyfob" not ergonamic for traditional keyless entry use. Had to use manual key a few times to start because car did not recognize keycard. Armrest poorly positioned for short drivers. Steering wheel controls (though aesthetically pleasing) were hard to use using thumbs alone requiring use of pointer finger. Shift knob easily scratched by rings. Narrow tires that wear out quickly.

Used Mazdaspeed 6 GT 85,000 miles
By banguyen

There is a timing chain problem for the Mazdaspeeds (3 and 6) that Mazda realizes and provides a company fix for free charge. Any smoke from the engine or exhaust that's funny colored is also under their extended warranty. You car has to be under 70,000 miles though. If not timing chain replacement + vvt actuator + timing guides + timing gaskets + cost of labor ~= $800. Sometimes difficult to shift, but a good fix is the rear engine mount for $125. Great car, extremely reliable, even with the timing problem, runs every time.

Favorite Features

290 torque at like 3000 rpms. Way cheaper than wrx with 220 something torque at 4000 rpms. Smooth daily driver. A good selection of aftermarket parts including the access port ecu tuner.

Suggested Improvements

Weighs a ton... Carbon fiber hood would be a good fix. AWD. Is it really all wheel drive all the time? Question you should ask yourself.

Amazing Mazda To Last Forever!
By Raptor

Ok, I just bought this lovely vehicle in August of 2010. I am the second owner, and I am glad I bought this car. I stepped up to this car from a 2001 Acura CL-S. This car is absolutely amazing! An AFFORDABLE 4- door sports sedan is hard to find! I looked at the Lexus IS300 and BMW 330i/335i that they had at the lot, and to me, this car blew both of them out of the water after test driving all three. The AWD helps with my judgment, the 6-speed manual is rough but it works! The stereo is weak for a BOSE but the car gets compliments no matter where it goes. People behind me think its just a regular Mazda 6 until they can't see it anymore!

Favorite Features

The 6-speed manual, the exterior styling, the interior is great also. A lot of trunk room. Comfort. AWD. Thee direct-injection 274 hp 4- cylinder turbo (OMG), the torque (when I drive it hard and power shift from 1st to 2nd, glasses on top of my head jump to the back seat, Simply Beautiful)

Suggested Improvements

Gear Ratios (6th gear, constant 80 mph is 3000 RPM. 3000 RPM!) Better Stereo Please.

Awesome All-Around Fun 4-Door
By Joe

After reading other reviews, I guess I should consider myself lucky. I've not had a single problem since I bought the car new. I've added a Cobb Access Port, drilled and slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads, a Magnaflow Exhaust and the Cobb intake. Car makes 269 RWHP. I will say tire wear is poor. The best I ever got was 17,000 miles. After 4 sets, I've settled on the Pirelli P- Zero-Nero for all weather driving. Soft & sticky in dry and tremendous in the snow. Cost is $114 EA at Tirerack. Don't understand the clutch complaints. Cobb has a simple fix for the smoking issue. For the price (new or used) nothing touches this ride. Power, 6-speed, AWD, Bose Stereo, power sunroof, heated seats etc.

Favorite Features

Power, 6-Speed, AWD, heated seats, reliability and of course, the sleeper factor. Overall, this car rates a 12 on a scale of 10 for the fun factor.

Suggested Improvements

About the only thing I would have liked to see was a bigger tire footprint.

Awesome Car but has its issues.
By John

I bought the car with 12000 miles on it and out of the 9 vehicles I have owned it is by far my favorite. The transmission had to be rebuilt at 18000 miles. Thankfully it was under warranty. The reverse lights don't work and I think that has to do with the rebuilt transmission. The car has inconsistent power because of a hyper sensitive knock sensor and I use 93 octane only. I use Mobile1 Extended Performance and it really helps with power. Change oil every 5-7K. I am going to put on a new intake, exhaust, lowering sport springs, and get a COBB ECU programmer. Should take care of the power issues and put the peak HP over 325. Don't buy this car unless you can deal with some issues.

Favorite Features

Performance for the price. Excellent value and an awesome car to drive. The AWD gives it great handling. I enjoy the subtle looks. Blending in is good if you want to push it and avoid unwanted attention.

Suggested Improvements

Slightly lower suspension (1-2"). Needs a better intake and exhaust ... California emissions hinders the performance of the car. Really needs to have the ECU flashed. Factory engine management is horrid. The knock sensor is too sensitive and kills the power quite often.