Used 2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sport Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed 6 model:

Mazda Drops The Ball
By truedriver45

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sedan Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned plenty of cars both in Europe and America, and I have to say unequivocally that 'this' car was the absolute worst. I'm not some young guy that abuses automobiles. I replaced the clutch twice, and the transmission once. The first time the transmission went out, it was at 108k (clutch as well). I've had an ongoing problem with the hydraulic clutch for over 20k, until it was finally resolved by replacing the clutch pedal and completely draining the entire hydraulic reservoir. Car nearly stranded me and my family 70 miles from home when the transfer case went out. I must have spent over 5k in repairs, and I only owned the car for 4 yrs. If you see this car, run, don't walk away...

Looks good

I highly recommend that Mazda kidnap a few Honda or Toyota Engineers and force them to design a product that actually has longevity and reliability.

Full sized sport sedan
By otrain

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sedan Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The mazda speed6 is a great car. I was looking for a full sized sedan than could easily fit my family and still be fun to drive. I looked at the volvo s40 and the vw passat 4motion, but this car was the best value. It has plenty of space to fit four people and still handles like a sports car. The back seat does not fold down which was done on purpose to add rigitity to the car, but I wish it had more cargo space to fit a snowboard (which will fit in the back seat, but not the trunk) or skis.

I like the speed handling and comfort of the vehicle Decent mileage for a heavy sedan.

Some cheap plastic parts. The faux tail pipe tips are pretty ugly. Turning radius could be better

Forget the EVO and STI, get a Mazdaspeed
By natpaul81

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sedan Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is a blast to drive. It yearns to be driven fast and handles like a dream. The interior is well designed and standard features make the Sport model well appointed. The pros of this vehicle are the power, handling, styling, lots of standard options, reliability, and practicality. It has a few minor drawbacks that keep it from being nearly perfect. One is the clutch-it is simply tough to adjust to it. It's a bit touchy and even though nearly every vehicle I've ever owned was a standard, I still managed to stall it quite a few times the first few weeks of ownership. The stereo is quite weak for a Bose system. It has a subwoofer that lacks any real punch. Finally, the smallish gas tank!

Turbocharged 4 cylinder. Heated seats. Keyless ignition and entry. 6 speed that offers power in every gear. Quick and nimble cornering for a sedan. AWD that doesn't bog down the vehicle during like other sedans. You feel connected to the road, unlike other AWD sedans where the DSC takes over.

No glaring defects in this car. Again, the stereo is weak for a Bose system and the gas tank is small. But Mazda engineers would have sacrificed performance at the cost of longer trips between fill-ups. I'll take performance any day. As far as the clutch goes, Mazda offered a fix-it helps a lot.

Left field choice in a niche market
By bjfitz1125

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sedan Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the car in March of 2009 with 46,000 miles on it. Just hit the 65,000 mile mark the other day. I've only put tires and oil into the car. First car was an E30 BMW and went to this. Exhaust occasionally breathes out white fumes over the last few miles which raises concerns. Took some time to get used to the miserable clutch. Power is good, even in 6th gear on the freeway. In red metallic it looks great, and no one else seems to have an MS6 nearby -- and I live in a major city. Troubles seem to come in threes (lights, brakes, tires) but parts are too pricey. Wanted a WRX, still want one, but still happy with my purchase. Highly recommend going for the GT over the Sport..

Great power, great steering feedback, pedal placement is perfect, awesome styling, a true Q-car

the Speed6 Sport is a poor choice if a Speed6 GT is for sale... Leather and a sunroof impress more than a boosty 4-banger. That's what people (you and passengers) really notice.

Original Owner, NO PROBLEMS
By speed6enthusiast

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sedan Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

ok, I only have 25,000 miles BUT no problems. Seems it eats summer tires, not tread but somehow messes up the belts. Done it to a set of Pirellis and Bridgestones, plenty of tread left, now going for the General's. Winter tires? no problems. I think the cars G Ability is too high for the tires. Don't know about others but mine is built like a tank. Mazda truly makes durable sporty cars. And considering how rare,with so much technology, Speed6 should maintainable for a long time.

handling, Power, AWD with Snows, Stereo, headlights, construction, paint job liquid platinum metallic. timeless looks.

clutch is funky but I got used to it. There was a TSB to replace it, but I would rather my car not be taken apart till it really needs to be.