2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Mazda6 model:
Mazda Drops The Ball
By truedriver45 on 10/03/11 19:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Sedan Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned plenty of cars both in Europe and America, and I have to say unequivocally that 'this' car was the absolute worst. I'm not some young guy that abuses automobiles. I replaced the clutch twice, and the transmission once. The first time the transmission went out, it was at 108k (clutch as well). I've had an ongoing problem with the hydraulic clutch for over 20k, until it was finally resolved by replacing the clutch pedal and completely draining the entire hydraulic reservoir. Car nearly stranded me and my family 70 miles from home when the transfer case went out. I must have spent over 5k in repairs, and I only owned the car for 4 yrs. If you see this car, run, don't walk away...

Full sized sport sedan
By otrain on 03/18/11 06:16 AM (PDT)

The mazda speed6 is a great car. I was looking for a full sized sedan than could easily fit my family and still be fun to drive. I looked at the volvo s40 and the vw passat 4motion, but this car was the best value. It has plenty of space to fit four people and still handles like a sports car. The back seat does not fold down which was done on purpose to add rigitity to the car, but I wish it had more cargo space to fit a snowboard (which will fit in the back seat, but not the trunk) or skis.

Forget the EVO and STI, get a Mazdaspeed
By natpaul81 on 04/16/10 21:12 PM (PDT)

This car is a blast to drive. It yearns to be driven fast and handles like a dream. The interior is well designed and standard features make the Sport model well appointed. The pros of this vehicle are the power, handling, styling, lots of standard options, reliability, and practicality. It has a few minor drawbacks that keep it from being nearly perfect. One is the clutch-it is simply tough to adjust to it. It's a bit touchy and even though nearly every vehicle I've ever owned was a standard, I still managed to stall it quite a few times the first few weeks of ownership. The stereo is quite weak for a Bose system. It has a subwoofer that lacks any real punch. Finally, the smallish gas tank!

Left field choice in a niche market
By bjfitz1125 on 03/30/10 11:39 AM (PDT)

Bought the car in March of 2009 with 46,000 miles on it. Just hit the 65,000 mile mark the other day. I've only put tires and oil into the car. First car was an E30 BMW and went to this. Exhaust occasionally breathes out white fumes over the last few miles which raises concerns. Took some time to get used to the miserable clutch. Power is good, even in 6th gear on the freeway. In red metallic it looks great, and no one else seems to have an MS6 nearby -- and I live in a major city. Troubles seem to come in threes (lights, brakes, tires) but parts are too pricey. Wanted a WRX, still want one, but still happy with my purchase. Highly recommend going for the GT over the Sport..

Original Owner, NO PROBLEMS
By speed6enthusiast on 03/07/10 19:36 PM (PST)

ok, I only have 25,000 miles BUT no problems. Seems it eats summer tires, not tread but somehow messes up the belts. Done it to a set of Pirellis and Bridgestones, plenty of tread left, now going for the General's. Winter tires? no problems. I think the cars G Ability is too high for the tires. Don't know about others but mine is built like a tank. Mazda truly makes durable sporty cars. And considering how rare,with so much technology, Speed6 should maintainable for a long time.

Wana turn heads cheap?!?
By SpeedLover on 11/17/09 15:33 PM (PST)

This car is amazing! Makes amazing amount of power is quiet and smooth and almost out handles my TT which drives like its on rails. Car is stunning. Turns heads looks nothing like the regular 6 and its rare...never pull up to another on at a light. My favorite part about this car is seeing the look on older audi s4, bmw 3 series,and gli and gti's when i bomb past them. The turbo sounds amazing with an intake. Power is plenty and the stero pounds hard too. Car is almost perfect. My one gripe is why does this car have no ipod jack?!? Other than that car is excellent build quality is top knotch. Can't say enough go test drive one and you will buy it I promise you that.

OM NOM NOM
By ms6 on 05/30/09 11:48 AM (PDT)

I was after a Nice car, I drove Audi VW Honda Toyota Subaru but this was the one I decided to get... Had a broken motor mount but it was fixed under the warranty.. The car has not giving me any problems the people that are seem to be the ones that don't know how to take care of it.. 1. Let the car cool down if u push it hard 2. Don't drop the clutch on heavy acceleration.... I use Mobile 1 oil and bought some firetone firehawks.. Great tires but like all the tires in that size they only last about 30k or less

One of a kind
By kapusta107 on 05/09/09 20:14 PM (PDT)

I bought this car new in '06. Test drove a Legacy GT and WRX. I immediately fell in love w/ the power of the car. Yes, the clutch is tricky, but if you know how to drive clutch well; it doesn't take long to adjust. I did have the ECU reflashed. It needs 94octane or doesn't run properly. I also went through a set of tires in 7000 miles and do not drive the car hard. The OE tires are very soft. Definitely need snows for the winter. Tires wear unevenly as-well. Mazda claims there is no problem w/ alignment. The 6 speed manual is crisp and has relatively short throws. But the engine runs out of wind well before red line.

Left a sour taste in my mouth
By Cedric on 08/14/08 05:45 AM (PDT)

Bought the car brand new. The clutch had to be replaced after about 14,000 miles but it was covered under warranty. Car started smoking with about 28,000 miles on it due to a blown seal in the turbo. The turbo had to be replaced along with some other parts but it was covered under warranty. The car is now back in the shop with about 40,000 miles on it. Started bucking and shuddering under light acceleration and the check engine light came on. It's now been at the shop for 2 full days and dealer is yet to tell me what's wrong with it. I love the car. Great bang for the buck but it's not reliable at all. I traded in an 05 Maxima (which also was a piece of junk) for this car.

The best sports sedan for the money
By Rick on 07/09/08 22:37 PM (PDT)

I drove my new Mazda 6sp all the way to Tennessee from San Antonio TX and what a pleasure.The all wheel drive came in handy especially in AK. it performed just as I thought it would. I just hope I get my money out of it when it comes to depreciation.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.