Used 2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed 6 model:

A blast to drive
By costeld

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sedan Grand Touring 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A tremendous performance bargain! Very, very fun. No problems during my 20K ownership. Excellent handling and acceleration. Lots of recalls, however, one of which (ECU reprogram) seemed to reduce acceleration. Steering feel superb, shifter itself solid (although car has a very touchy clutch from 1st to 2nd; takes some getting used to. Best clutch operation under heavier acceleration. A true sleeper! Astounding good looks but not riddled with badges advertising AWD, turbo, stability control, etc (e.g. subaru). No juvenile wings/vents. Very supportive front seats. Loved the car. It has been a benchmark by which I judged more recent purchases.

Better-than-advertised acceleration. Good cornering/braking performance. Outstanding looks. A great buy for an auto enthusiast.

Very sensitive clutch. Key card and keyless start system unnecessary gimmick. I think manufacturers have realized this since there are a plethora of models that still use traditional key. Button on door handle didnt work half the time and the card shaped "keyfob" not ergonamic for traditional keyless entry use. Had to use manual key a few times to start because car did not recognize keycard. Armrest poorly positioned for short drivers. Steering wheel controls (though aesthetically pleasing) were hard to use using thumbs alone requiring use of pointer finger. Shift knob easily scratched by rings. Narrow tires that wear out quickly.

Used Mazdaspeed 6 GT 85,000 miles
By banguyen

There is a timing chain problem for the Mazdaspeeds (3 and 6) that Mazda realizes and provides a company fix for free charge. Any smoke from the engine or exhaust that's funny colored is also under their extended warranty. You car has to be under 70,000 miles though. If not timing chain replacement + vvt actuator + timing guides + timing gaskets + cost of labor ~= $800. Sometimes difficult to shift, but a good fix is the rear engine mount for $125. Great car, extremely reliable, even with the timing problem, runs every time.

290 torque at like 3000 rpms. Way cheaper than wrx with 220 something torque at 4000 rpms. Smooth daily driver. A good selection of aftermarket parts including the access port ecu tuner.

Weighs a ton... Carbon fiber hood would be a good fix. AWD. Is it really all wheel drive all the time? Question you should ask yourself.

Mazda Drops The Ball
By truedriver45

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sedan Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned plenty of cars both in Europe and America, and I have to say unequivocally that 'this' car was the absolute worst. I'm not some young guy that abuses automobiles. I replaced the clutch twice, and the transmission once. The first time the transmission went out, it was at 108k (clutch as well). I've had an ongoing problem with the hydraulic clutch for over 20k, until it was finally resolved by replacing the clutch pedal and completely draining the entire hydraulic reservoir. Car nearly stranded me and my family 70 miles from home when the transfer case went out. I must have spent over 5k in repairs, and I only owned the car for 4 yrs. If you see this car, run, don't walk away...

Looks good

I highly recommend that Mazda kidnap a few Honda or Toyota Engineers and force them to design a product that actually has longevity and reliability.

Full sized sport sedan
By otrain

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed 6 Sedan Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The mazda speed6 is a great car. I was looking for a full sized sedan than could easily fit my family and still be fun to drive. I looked at the volvo s40 and the vw passat 4motion, but this car was the best value. It has plenty of space to fit four people and still handles like a sports car. The back seat does not fold down which was done on purpose to add rigitity to the car, but I wish it had more cargo space to fit a snowboard (which will fit in the back seat, but not the trunk) or skis.

I like the speed handling and comfort of the vehicle Decent mileage for a heavy sedan.

Some cheap plastic parts. The faux tail pipe tips are pretty ugly. Turning radius could be better

Amazing Mazda To Last Forever!
By Raptor

Ok, I just bought this lovely vehicle in August of 2010. I am the second owner, and I am glad I bought this car. I stepped up to this car from a 2001 Acura CL-S. This car is absolutely amazing! An AFFORDABLE 4- door sports sedan is hard to find! I looked at the Lexus IS300 and BMW 330i/335i that they had at the lot, and to me, this car blew both of them out of the water after test driving all three. The AWD helps with my judgment, the 6-speed manual is rough but it works! The stereo is weak for a BOSE but the car gets compliments no matter where it goes. People behind me think its just a regular Mazda 6 until they can't see it anymore!

The 6-speed manual, the exterior styling, the interior is great also. A lot of trunk room. Comfort. AWD. Thee direct-injection 274 hp 4- cylinder turbo (OMG), the torque (when I drive it hard and power shift from 1st to 2nd, glasses on top of my head jump to the back seat, Simply Beautiful)

Gear Ratios (6th gear, constant 80 mph is 3000 RPM. 3000 RPM!) Better Stereo Please.