2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Mazda6 model:
A blast to drive
By costeld on 06/08/12 22:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Sedan Grand Touring 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A tremendous performance bargain! Very, very fun. No problems during my 20K ownership. Excellent handling and acceleration. Lots of recalls, however, one of which (ECU reprogram) seemed to reduce acceleration. Steering feel superb, shifter itself solid (although car has a very touchy clutch from 1st to 2nd; takes some getting used to. Best clutch operation under heavier acceleration. A true sleeper! Astounding good looks but not riddled with badges advertising AWD, turbo, stability control, etc (e.g. subaru). No juvenile wings/vents. Very supportive front seats. Loved the car. It has been a benchmark by which I judged more recent purchases.

Used Mazdaspeed 6 GT 85,000 miles
By banguyen on 05/13/12 09:55 AM (PDT)

There is a timing chain problem for the Mazdaspeeds (3 and 6) that Mazda realizes and provides a company fix for free charge. Any smoke from the engine or exhaust that's funny colored is also under their extended warranty. You car has to be under 70,000 miles though. If not timing chain replacement + vvt actuator + timing guides + timing gaskets + cost of labor ~= $800. Sometimes difficult to shift, but a good fix is the rear engine mount for $125. Great car, extremely reliable, even with the timing problem, runs every time.

Mazda Drops The Ball
By truedriver45 on 10/03/11 19:32 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Sedan Sport 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned plenty of cars both in Europe and America, and I have to say unequivocally that 'this' car was the absolute worst. I'm not some young guy that abuses automobiles. I replaced the clutch twice, and the transmission once. The first time the transmission went out, it was at 108k (clutch as well). I've had an ongoing problem with the hydraulic clutch for over 20k, until it was finally resolved by replacing the clutch pedal and completely draining the entire hydraulic reservoir. Car nearly stranded me and my family 70 miles from home when the transfer case went out. I must have spent over 5k in repairs, and I only owned the car for 4 yrs. If you see this car, run, don't walk away...

Full sized sport sedan
By otrain on 03/18/11 06:16 AM (PDT)

The mazda speed6 is a great car. I was looking for a full sized sedan than could easily fit my family and still be fun to drive. I looked at the volvo s40 and the vw passat 4motion, but this car was the best value. It has plenty of space to fit four people and still handles like a sports car. The back seat does not fold down which was done on purpose to add rigitity to the car, but I wish it had more cargo space to fit a snowboard (which will fit in the back seat, but not the trunk) or skis.

Amazing Mazda To Last Forever!
By Raptor on 08/18/10 07:22 AM (PDT)

Ok, I just bought this lovely vehicle in August of 2010. I am the second owner, and I am glad I bought this car. I stepped up to this car from a 2001 Acura CL-S. This car is absolutely amazing! An AFFORDABLE 4- door sports sedan is hard to find! I looked at the Lexus IS300 and BMW 330i/335i that they had at the lot, and to me, this car blew both of them out of the water after test driving all three. The AWD helps with my judgment, the 6-speed manual is rough but it works! The stereo is weak for a BOSE but the car gets compliments no matter where it goes. People behind me think its just a regular Mazda 6 until they can't see it anymore!

Forget the EVO and STI, get a Mazdaspeed
By natpaul81 on 04/16/10 21:12 PM (PDT)

This car is a blast to drive. It yearns to be driven fast and handles like a dream. The interior is well designed and standard features make the Sport model well appointed. The pros of this vehicle are the power, handling, styling, lots of standard options, reliability, and practicality. It has a few minor drawbacks that keep it from being nearly perfect. One is the clutch-it is simply tough to adjust to it. It's a bit touchy and even though nearly every vehicle I've ever owned was a standard, I still managed to stall it quite a few times the first few weeks of ownership. The stereo is quite weak for a Bose system. It has a subwoofer that lacks any real punch. Finally, the smallish gas tank!

Left field choice in a niche market
By bjfitz1125 on 03/30/10 11:39 AM (PDT)

Bought the car in March of 2009 with 46,000 miles on it. Just hit the 65,000 mile mark the other day. I've only put tires and oil into the car. First car was an E30 BMW and went to this. Exhaust occasionally breathes out white fumes over the last few miles which raises concerns. Took some time to get used to the miserable clutch. Power is good, even in 6th gear on the freeway. In red metallic it looks great, and no one else seems to have an MS6 nearby -- and I live in a major city. Troubles seem to come in threes (lights, brakes, tires) but parts are too pricey. Wanted a WRX, still want one, but still happy with my purchase. Highly recommend going for the GT over the Sport..

Original Owner, NO PROBLEMS
By speed6enthusiast on 03/07/10 19:36 PM (PST)

ok, I only have 25,000 miles BUT no problems. Seems it eats summer tires, not tread but somehow messes up the belts. Done it to a set of Pirellis and Bridgestones, plenty of tread left, now going for the General's. Winter tires? no problems. I think the cars G Ability is too high for the tires. Don't know about others but mine is built like a tank. Mazda truly makes durable sporty cars. And considering how rare,with so much technology, Speed6 should maintainable for a long time.

Awesome All-Around Fun 4-Door
By Joe on 01/04/10 12:22 PM (PST)

After reading other reviews, I guess I should consider myself lucky. I've not had a single problem since I bought the car new. I've added a Cobb Access Port, drilled and slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads, a Magnaflow Exhaust and the Cobb intake. Car makes 269 RWHP. I will say tire wear is poor. The best I ever got was 17,000 miles. After 4 sets, I've settled on the Pirelli P- Zero-Nero for all weather driving. Soft & sticky in dry and tremendous in the snow. Cost is $114 EA at Tirerack. Don't understand the clutch complaints. Cobb has a simple fix for the smoking issue. For the price (new or used) nothing touches this ride. Power, 6-speed, AWD, Bose Stereo, power sunroof, heated seats etc.

Awesome Car but has its issues.
By John on 12/01/09 10:39 AM (PST)

I bought the car with 12000 miles on it and out of the 9 vehicles I have owned it is by far my favorite. The transmission had to be rebuilt at 18000 miles. Thankfully it was under warranty. The reverse lights don't work and I think that has to do with the rebuilt transmission. The car has inconsistent power because of a hyper sensitive knock sensor and I use 93 octane only. I use Mobile1 Extended Performance and it really helps with power. Change oil every 5-7K. I am going to put on a new intake, exhaust, lowering sport springs, and get a COBB ECU programmer. Should take care of the power issues and put the peak HP over 325. Don't buy this car unless you can deal with some issues.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.