2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Mazda6 model:
A blast to drive
By costeld on 06/08/12 22:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda6 Grand Touring 4dr Sport Sedan AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A tremendous performance bargain! Very, very fun. No problems during my 20K ownership. Excellent handling and acceleration. Lots of recalls, however, one of which (ECU reprogram) seemed to reduce acceleration. Steering feel superb, shifter itself solid (although car has a very touchy clutch from 1st to 2nd; takes some getting used to. Best clutch operation under heavier acceleration. A true sleeper! Astounding good looks but not riddled with badges advertising AWD, turbo, stability control, etc (e.g. subaru). No juvenile wings/vents. Very supportive front seats. Loved the car. It has been a benchmark by which I judged more recent purchases.

Used Mazdaspeed 6 GT 85,000 miles
By banguyen on 05/13/12 09:55 AM (PDT)

There is a timing chain problem for the Mazdaspeeds (3 and 6) that Mazda realizes and provides a company fix for free charge. Any smoke from the engine or exhaust that's funny colored is also under their extended warranty. You car has to be under 70,000 miles though. If not timing chain replacement + vvt actuator + timing guides + timing gaskets + cost of labor ~= $800. Sometimes difficult to shift, but a good fix is the rear engine mount for $125. Great car, extremely reliable, even with the timing problem, runs every time.

Amazing Mazda To Last Forever!
By Raptor on 08/18/10 07:22 AM (PDT)

Ok, I just bought this lovely vehicle in August of 2010. I am the second owner, and I am glad I bought this car. I stepped up to this car from a 2001 Acura CL-S. This car is absolutely amazing! An AFFORDABLE 4- door sports sedan is hard to find! I looked at the Lexus IS300 and BMW 330i/335i that they had at the lot, and to me, this car blew both of them out of the water after test driving all three. The AWD helps with my judgment, the 6-speed manual is rough but it works! The stereo is weak for a BOSE but the car gets compliments no matter where it goes. People behind me think its just a regular Mazda 6 until they can't see it anymore!

Awesome All-Around Fun 4-Door
By Joe on 01/04/10 12:22 PM (PST)

After reading other reviews, I guess I should consider myself lucky. I've not had a single problem since I bought the car new. I've added a Cobb Access Port, drilled and slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads, a Magnaflow Exhaust and the Cobb intake. Car makes 269 RWHP. I will say tire wear is poor. The best I ever got was 17,000 miles. After 4 sets, I've settled on the Pirelli P- Zero-Nero for all weather driving. Soft & sticky in dry and tremendous in the snow. Cost is $114 EA at Tirerack. Don't understand the clutch complaints. Cobb has a simple fix for the smoking issue. For the price (new or used) nothing touches this ride. Power, 6-speed, AWD, Bose Stereo, power sunroof, heated seats etc.

Awesome Car but has its issues.
By John on 12/01/09 10:39 AM (PST)

I bought the car with 12000 miles on it and out of the 9 vehicles I have owned it is by far my favorite. The transmission had to be rebuilt at 18000 miles. Thankfully it was under warranty. The reverse lights don't work and I think that has to do with the rebuilt transmission. The car has inconsistent power because of a hyper sensitive knock sensor and I use 93 octane only. I use Mobile1 Extended Performance and it really helps with power. Change oil every 5-7K. I am going to put on a new intake, exhaust, lowering sport springs, and get a COBB ECU programmer. Should take care of the power issues and put the peak HP over 325. Don't buy this car unless you can deal with some issues.

Best for the money
By Ed on 04/17/09 09:47 AM (PDT)

After 80,000km some thoughts: -Clutch is a challenge (in a fun way). -Turbo NEEDS 94 octane. -Gas consumption: 7.5L/100km on I15 from San Diego to Canada @80mph. Average over 80,000km is about 10L/100km (fuel consumption is effect the most by acceleration rather than speed) -Inconsistent tire ware (alignment checked several times) -Keyless entry (auto locking) is very unpredictable -Winter tires are a must for snowy conditions -Ample room for 4 adults -Warranty issues: power windows, auto locking, power steering pump. (fuel consumption is effect the most by acceleration rather than speed)

best sports/luxury car available
By speedsicks on 04/06/09 12:58 PM (PDT)

Awesome car. Got 27 mpg highway, 24 mpg city. With BASIC upgrades (exhaust, intake) got 28 mpg city, and up to 33 mpg highway. Fun car to drive, awesome performance, build quality is excellent. Rear differential mount is my only complaint, after 6mos heavy driving I managed to crack it. But I understand upgraded mounts are available. And I also understand not everyone drives like I do. Interior was very comfortable, quiet, smooth ride. Handling is outstanding. Faster mod for mod than Subaru wrx, and also faster stock for stock. Competes with BMW m3 & Subaru sti with few BASIC mods. Out handles sti's, and even legacy gt's. Drive one for yourself!

Not such a smart buy
By pcouri on 02/13/09 11:15 AM (PST)

I purchased a 2006 grand touring speed6 back in 2007. I had problems from the get go. The clutch is incredibly hard to use - especially coming out of 1st gear. Apparently Mazda replaced the clutch IF the car had less than 1200 miles on it. Also - a recall was sent out for the ECU to be flashed. As soon as that was done, all the seat sucking turbo power and fun was gone. The boost was cut in half and the gas mileage was worsened. Is it a bad car, No. Does it have its problems - YES. I traded it in for a rock solid Subaru Impreza WRX. I sacrificed the toys for Quality and have not regretted it since. if you want a "SPEED" go for the "3" and if you test drive a "6" - make sure you like it first

The laid back, more mature Evo/STi
By Stavesacre21 on 11/10/08 00:57 AM (PST)

The Mazdaspeed6 has left me with a bittersweet taste. On one hand, I love driving it, as it's proven to be an extremely fun car to drive. It's mileage has been really good for a turbo (22/twn, 28/hwy). With 06 being the release year, there have been very hit-or-miss findings of problems. There exists a "shudder" that most 06 MS6 owners experience that doesn't go away, nor does Mazda have an explanation for it. The stock clutch is extremely tricky to learn. Overall tho, with all the bad, I still love my MS6. For what it is, it's a GREAT car if you're looking for similar performance to the Evo or STi, but without all the extra hoopla that screams look-at-me. A true sleeper by definition.

Ups & downs
By JT on 05/23/08 01:04 AM (PDT)

274HP 280TQ great alternative to STi or EVO if you need the space @ this price. Avg of 22mpg on 80 mile trip daily @ 90% hwy @ 80mph. Handling is great for a daily driver. If your an experienced driver, turn off trac control in snow and rain like I do. I hate losing power to the wheel when there's a dip in the road. 18" wheels looks great but expensive to replace tires (had snow tires and popped 2 and it cost me $250.00 each) After a short trip during winter, came to a stop and idle for about 2 minutes and saw smoke coming out of the exhaust with a burning smell (drove normally). Had to trade it in due to high gas prices for a hybrid. I think I'll sacrifice speed for mpg.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.