GREAT (except dealer-AutoTown Mazda, Portland OR)
By dlen on
2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
Possibly the "best" car, for the money, I've ever had! (Except for dealership experience--see my review, no, see ALL the Edmunds reviews of the AutoTown [violative content deleted]) I previously had an '02 Z06, and while it was more HPDE capable, the 'speed3 is more enjoyable at all "public streets" speeds, and twice the value/dollar as the 'vette (assuming you don't need the "Corvette ego massage.") I've enjoyed a "decadent 2nd childhood" the last 20 yrs--including 2 M3s, 3 SVT Cobras (2 "R"s), and a few '60s muscle cars--and the 'speed3 is a balanced highlight, overall. I'm waiting 'til the warranty's used up before I try any mods (that could be used as an excuse to void my warranty); 2013 s/be fun.
Favorite Features
1 - Very well-balanced (for FWD) in stock form. 2 - VERY comfortable for up to 3 hrs between breaks, on trips. 3 - Mazda's philosophy of making "almost everything" standard equipment on Mazdaspeed models; I chose the "Grand Touring" version due to the extensive "standard equip." list. OTOH, I wouldn't have got the "techno" pkg, but the best 09 'speed3 left in this market ('10s were already out) was dealer-ordered that way. 4 - Almost invisible to (or ignored by) L/Os...at least, in white, with stock exhaust (and maybe my grey hair?).
Suggested Improvements
1- REAL limited-slip (rather than "electronic brake compensation")-->"4" in performance. 2a - taller first gear ratio (i'm tired of "3000 rpm & a shift" before I finish crossing an intersection)...or 2b) even better, offer a "hi-po" A/T (like VW did in the '08 R32, eh?). 3 - Make the dang tire pressure sensors WORK...or at least make 'em diagnosible as to which individual one is malf'ing-->"4" in reliability. 4 - Upgrade the Nav. system controls--they're SLOW. (I can enter an address into my cellphone map app & have better route info, INCLUDING current traffic conditions, in "half" the time.