Used 2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed 3 model:

Fun Car
By FastGal

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

well I wanted to treat myself to a fun vehicle,and I was turn on to this little booger !and all I can say is wow every time I put my foot in her (which is more times than I should !).

the seats are pretty nice,stereo isn't that bad...at least not to me.

It would've been nice to have a real good boost gauge.I know some people would like to have AWD,and I'm all for it provided that it doesn't add a ton of weight.

True Red Pocket Rocket
By dagger23

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Owned this car for over two months now and it is by far the funnest car I have ever driven. Not quite as fast as my blown 93 Firebird but a better driver. Handling and acceleration are incredible. Nothing quite like hitting the interstate with cruise already on at 75mph and not really pushing it. I drive like that all the time and it still averages over 26mpg. Go figure. Even wifes regular Mazda 3 get great mileage (over 30). Only real issue I have (and its a minor one) is both vehicles have rattles in both front doors by the speakers.

Gas Mileage well over rated specs. Exhaust note. It sounds like a turboprop aircraft when you lift off the gas. Very cool.

A boost gauge.

Great little car!!
By ew

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Did a little research on this car and had to take it for a test drive. Well one drive and I was sold! The car is a total blast to drive! The breaks, power and it seat four adults. I never expected a 4cyl to be this fast! I raced my friend in his new bmw 745! on some back roads in western Il and he could not pass me. He could not believe it.

Handling, brakes, turbo!!

Sunroof, full leather interior

Best value for the money
By Tommy O.

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

As an intro I am a senior citizen (male) going thru my second late teen episode with sporty cars. The speed3 is without a doubt the best car I have ever driven or owned. It has incredible acceleration performance with concomitant handling/braking/steering. It is a very exhilarating experience to drive though it is easy to break most speed laws. It does NOT want to go slow. It is very comfortably solid cruising at very high speeds. Most passenger just smile with an occasional ooh or ahh as they get plastered to the seat back with the force of acceleration. I bought a Valentine radar/laser detector to help me not get caught when I occasionally have a lapse of attention to my actual speed.

The predominant feature is the breath taking acceleration. Next is the truly excellent handling on curves. The quick and precise steering lends to the feeling of control when hard cornering is in process. The drivers accommodations are excellent and comfortable. The seats are exceptional!

It would be difficult to improve on this auto for the price. I would like to see somewhat stiffer suspension that would reduce the body role feeling when cornering at high speeds.

Speed dreams
By svenspeed

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved my 07 mzda 3 5dr and am in heaven with the speed 3. I love the crisp feel and abundant power as it throws you back in the supportive seats. I was looking for a little more zoom zoom and found more than enough. The speed 3 is a confident little monster in subdued wrapping and has just enough visual touches to set it apart without shouting how special it is. Highway MPG is not bad, but around town you have to fight the urge to stick you foot in it, which costs at the pump. But, MPG is not why you buy this car, it's just a nice side benefit when it's good.

Styling, power, nimble handling and the exhaust note. It's solid and reliable performance with refined styling. And did I mention the power and the handling.

A Boost gauge would be nice.