2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Mazda3 model:
Still impressed after 3 years
By blinky1004 on 07/27/13 11:09 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

On the advice of a car dealer/racer friend I purchased my Speed3 after first test driving the GTI, WRX sti, Mini S, Lancer RalleyArt and Cobalt SS. This car made me say "Holy cr@p!" more than any of the others. The Speed3 was an upgrade from my 2005 Pontiac GTO which was incredibly fast, but lacked cornering, braking, space, utility, and was extremely expensive to own. The Mazda is a much more complete performance car. After 36,000 miles it's still capable of shocking the bejeezus out of me with its acceleration, cornering, and braking. I've had no quality issues, rattles, squeaks. etc. We take this car on long trips instead of my wife's Maxima because it's more comfortable. I love this car!

GREAT (except dealer-AutoTown Mazda, Portland OR)
By dlen on 06/19/11 14:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Possibly the "best" car, for the money, I've ever had! (Except for dealership experience--see my review, no, see ALL the Edmunds reviews of the AutoTown [violative content deleted]) I previously had an '02 Z06, and while it was more HPDE capable, the 'speed3 is more enjoyable at all "public streets" speeds, and twice the value/dollar as the 'vette (assuming you don't need the "Corvette ego massage.") I've enjoyed a "decadent 2nd childhood" the last 20 yrs--including 2 M3s, 3 SVT Cobras (2 "R"s), and a few '60s muscle cars--and the 'speed3 is a balanced highlight, overall. I'm waiting 'til the warranty's used up before I try any mods (that could be used as an excuse to void my warranty); 2013 s/be fun.

Fantastic Car
By rbrickweg on 03/31/11 12:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I spent over a year researching cars to buy when I finally got a job after college and I finally decided on the Mazdaspeed 3. I lucked out and found a Grand Touring model with the windows already tinted and it only had about 5K miles on it. I LOVE this car!! By far the best bang for your buck when it comes to performance cars. I am an aggressive driver and this car handles and BRAKES on a dime! The only problem I have ever had is the pistons have misfired a few times due to bad gasoline. Currently at about 34K miles and going strong! I also highly recommend getting the Test Pipe from StreetUnit.com, it's awesome and gives you a 20 HP boost for only $160!!

Definitely worth the price
By djplumking on 03/09/11 19:36 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought it new in 2009 and I was in love with it. 1200 miles later, my turbo start failing during acceleration. Take it in, I'm told Mazda knows about it but there's no fix. Take it in a second time, they basically ignore me. There are tons of rattles and squeaks that start to develop, though most will go away if you squirt some WD40 on it or shove some foam somewhere to create pressure to stop the rattling (like the steering column). It's still a fun car and definitely worth the money. There are some things that I do love about it, but I'm going to move on since this car isn't exactly great for stop and go traffic that I'm typically stuck in. (Didn't have a commute when I bought it.)

UPGRADE FROM A CIVIC SI
By Scott Craig on 06/18/10 18:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had a 2007 Honda Civic SI 4dr which was my "dream car" before this MS3. I put 90K miles on it in 2 years and needed another inexpensive "fun to drive" sales rep commuter vehicle. I had owned a 2003.5 Mazda Speed Protege so the MS3 was my next logical choice. This car performs "way beyond my wildest expectations". While in stock form, the SI actually corners harder, the motor in the MS3 is amazing!! Another surprise, if you shift the MS3 at 3000 RPM's or below you can achieve 30MPG! I find this truly amazing!! 280 Ft Lbs of torque and still better Hwy mileage than a Honda Civic SI! The build quality is exceptional and I just did the 30K service and a set of tires! That's it, ZERO defects!

Bang For The Buck.
By Rod on 04/10/10 16:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

No other car sold in America, in 2009, gave you more. Performance and Fun for the Money. Not Even Close!

Making Dad jealous!
By Seank512 on 03/12/10 16:11 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Just bought a used 09 speed 3 and love it. I researched the car for a while but couldn't find one with low miles. I wanted one with low miles because of the known fact of their turbo seals blowing and then one appeared with only 3k on it. Bought it within an hour. i love it so far. Its fast, comfortable DD, and a def. sleeper. Would be nice with a sunroof but I'd take safety any day. When I bought it i took it home to pops to let him see it. Instantly jealous!

Decent car for the price
By Jaime C. F. on 02/11/10 14:41 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

bought the last 2009 model in charlotte, nc in january, 2010. so far i enjoy the car. i like the looks and the power. its a simple car, not many upgrades for the top end line, but i only paid 23k out the door; so i shouldn't complain. its obviously very quick and fun to drive. i don't like the 6 speed though as the gears wind too quickly. not my most favorite car, but i am hoping it will grow on me.

Awesome Car at 25+ MPG
By george on 02/09/10 05:40 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

80 mph hwy car gets 27-28 mpg, 25 around town. If you are aggessive expect 15-20. As others have said, Fun to drive, great power, ete. but stopping is incredible. Have avoided two sure accidents with these massive brakes! I even pull my dirtbikes on a small trailer and I hardly know its there. Amazing to pull a trailer with such a small car but does so easily.

Why new tires in only 1 year
By red miata too on 01/10/10 18:34 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car is fine -not half as fun as my Miata but the size is good and the looks are fine. It has great storage for carrying things. The inside controls are difficult to get used to. I am disappointed in the way it handles in snow. My main concern is that I have to replace the tires after just 1 year.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 in VA is:

$136 per month*