2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Mazda3 model:
Japanese Quality that's precision-engineered to implode at 36,000 miles
By mollari_2261 on 08/07/12 19:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Never abused, raced, modified, or wrecked, and serviced only my Mazda dealerships, yet it still began self-destructing within 100 miles of the end of the warranty. From 36K to 55K: · silly-putty factory rear motor mount began eating itself · steering began clicking and popping, dealer could not diagnose · pot-metal shift knob attachment rod sheared off while driving · toy-car-plastic shift cable end broke off of gear knob · BlOSE radio died · engine developed incurable throttle lag · 2nd gear (and no other) would either (a) engage smoothly (b) engage with notchiness (c) grind (d) not engage at all; dealer could not diagnose · 1 passenger window failed · power lock in driver's door failed

Great car
By Her on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my MS3 used two weeks ago and now I start to hear wheezing sounds come from the engine. I don't know if that is the problem with all MS3's or not. The paint is easily scratched off. So if you want the paint to remain on as long as possible, you should think about getting a coat on the car. Other than that, the car is a beast for that size.

Great Car!
By Turbo69 on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my MS3 since 4/09, and have loved every minute of it. It's practical, as well as very quick and fast. Few cars will stay w/ this one, esp on the highway. Its turbo 2.3 puts out some serious power. Brakes are firm and very effective. Handling is xlnt (but you MUST get snow tires in the winter, as the OEM summer tires have ZERO grip in any freezing precip. Scary). The 6-speed shifts smoothly, and the clutch has a progressive take- up (although a bit of slippage is sometimes necess). Seats are great. Trip computer is handy. MPG is 30-32 on the highway, mid 20's in town. Did I mention that thing hauls? I've blasted past unsuspecting Ford GT's, Ferraris, Porsches, etc. :o)

Zoom Zoom = Fun Fun
By mattli on 07/13/10 21:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought this car not long after our first child. Compromise (it's like a wagon, right honey). Engine sold me. Car is fast, handles great and gets pretty good mileage for the performance. Brakes and clutch are just right in the amount of firmness and travel. Interior is slick, though a bit cramped in the back seat. Holds a ton of stuff in the hatch and can still look cool. My wife loves it now, though we may have to trade for something a bit bigger. We have another child on the way and while it will hold both car seats, we may still want some additional company once in a while. Overall a great car and value.

Couldn't ask for more
By Daniel Jobe on 04/23/10 11:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is really great. You get so much more for the price. I bought my ms3 gt used about 5 months ago for $18k. It has a ridiculous amount of mid-range torque and can handle high speed corners extremely well. It is also great to live with everyday. I was smiling the whole test drive. I drove gti's and g35's and they both felt slow compared to the ms3. Everyone complains about the "vague" shifter. It's fine really. I've missed shifts before but it is never hard to find a gear.

The all-purpose sportscar!
By Rob on 02/28/10 13:32 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Outside of a 2009/2010 Subaru WRX, nothing comes close to an all-purpose sports car than this little 2008 MS3 rocket ... and it looks so innocent! When it was purchased in 2008, the 2008 Subaru was not a performance match to this car, and it was over $2000. more than the Mazdaspeed 3 GT. Easy decision then and I'm glad I made it. It performs well in interior space for moderate hauling of things while having decent space for two adults in the back seat and loads of headroom in the front seat. All of this with great road-holding, good steering feel, great brakes and lot's and lot's of power ... almost too much torque for the front wheel drive ... but much fun to drive in spite of it.

A nice value
By santiagofdz on 06/10/09 19:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After a year of ownership, this car has exceeded all of my expectations. It is VERY quick and the rush you feel when the turbo kicks in doesn't grow old, and neither when it corners or brakes; this is a very competent car and it's nice they can sell it this cheap. But when you don't want to dance, it will take you home without fuss; The vast amount of torque lets you be lazy and it feels no different than it's non speed brother. I've had no mechanical issues, and love the Alcantara/leather seats, and also it's cargo capacity (40 inch flat screen tv in its box?? no problem). After an unreliable and slow car, this car is what I dreamed it would be.

Nothing but FUN
By Derrick on 05/17/09 19:15 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My Speed3 is nothing short of amazing! I have had it for over a year, and I still look for reasons to go for a drive. There is so many good things to say about this little ROCKET, and so few negative. The take off in this thing is amazing. If you need to get out in traffic, it's not a problem whatsoever. As far as gas mileage is concerned, I am getting 24.1 in town, and that's jumping out at every red light. I drive within the speed limits, but it's fun to rocket yourself as quick as possible to that speed limit. The last car I owned was a Pontiac Grand Prix GT. That car I thought was pretty quick, at about 200 Horse power. When I saw that the Speed3 had 263 stock, I was floored! What a RUSH

Excellent car for the money
By Ray on 04/17/08 07:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First, my other car is an 06 Infiniti G35 coupe loaded. Great solid car and fun to drive. The ONLY draw back is it really has 2 seats and we need more. I do not want to give up my G35 and my wife does not drive. After A LOT of research and test driving the MazdaSpeed 3 gives me everything my G35 has to offer plus the ability to seat 4. So I get to keep my G35 and now I have another sports car that does everything very well. Actually, I enjoy driving my SPD3 now more then the G35. I don't feel like I'm missing anything when I drive the SPD3. My wife loves it too.

Express Commuter
By WUENSCHO on 03/14/08 08:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I am in the car business and work at a Honda dealer, but the SPEED3 was my only consideration. Faster then the Civic Si, and much more practical in the hatch body. Build quality is on par with the best Japan has to offer. I get 28 MPG on a 48 mile one way commute with a small amount of town driving, if I keep my foot out of the turbo. But when I need to go, (or just want to), very few cars give you this kind of thrill. Handling is superb, braking is outstanding. The only things missing are heated mirrors and seats, and if you like them, a sunroof. It even did OK in a snowstorm with the summer tires. If you want serious preformance, good gas milage, practcality, and quality, look no farther.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.