2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Mazda3 model:
All you need in a performance inspired car, and more
By boostaholic1 on 07/15/13 15:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is exactly what I was looking for when I was shopping for a new one back in 2008. I've had it now for 5 years and not a single problem. Very fun and exciting to drive. More than enough power for a 2.3L 4 cyl, and plenty of space inside as well for passengers and cargo. I get compliments everywhere I go from friends to strangers, men and women.

Reliability and Performance
By Grogers on 02/25/10 17:19 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Best driving front wheel drive auto period. Great handling, performance and braking. Two years without the first problem. Have comfortably driven 600 mile days and mileage has ranged between 18mpg city and 31 highway. Ride is firm but not uncomfortable for this 70 plus senior. Traded the car in Feb10 due to lack of luggage space for 3 or more.

Definately Faster than my 350Z
By UHATEIT on 10/06/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car used to replace my 2005 Nissan 350Z. I got it because I test drove one and people had recommended it. I enjoy tricking out cars and have added many upgrades to this vehicle. It responds very well to mods and it ridiculously fast. People will talk trash and compare speed to a 350Z. Having had modded versions of this car and modded 350Z this car is definitely faster, the turbo is what seals the deal and sounds great when you open it up and mod it with a louder intake system and bypass valve. The 350Z is of course more sporty looking and RWD and a coupe, but having upgraded to this being my first 4-door car, I was pleasantly happy with my purchase.

seats are too stiff
By amyjamy on 09/08/09 21:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My husband bought it for me, I'd not driven one, ever. Love the concept: small 4 door hatch, manual, fast, etc, BUT can't drive it very long cause the seats are painfully stiff. Only had it a day, but probably will sell soon. My butt and hips are literally numb on the sides from the awful seats.

Finally found my dream car
By T Bagger on 09/27/08 13:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is amazing! Couldn't be happier. The power this thing puts out is unbelievable. The only bad thing about this car is the gas mileage. But I guess thats just a minor downside to any car with this much power. Definitely worth it though. The 6th gear helps a lot with highway driving. This car can run circles around an Rx8. Any Mazda person can tell you that.

Outstanding value for $$$
By BRITGUY on 09/21/08 12:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I researched all the brands and always came back to the Mazda3. I chose the speed3 after driving both and simply enjoyed the fun factor and economy of a sporty car that has all the details I hold dear. The interior is excellent, design outstanding. The firm ride makes for confident handling, the engine a superb powerhouse or a fuel sipper depending on how you drive it. I can trundle along at normal speed and save the gas, but if I need some passing power, it amazes with its pickup that never ends. The torque will pull strongly in any gear and turbo lag is minimal and predicable. I cannot find any other vehicle for the money that gives so much. Get one while you can. $$ will only go up.

Buy One!
By Eric on 07/16/08 21:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had the speed3 for five months now and just love the car. For the money you are not going to find a better performance bargain. And whats best about it is its a Japanese car made in Japan which is a rare find today.

A near perfect practical sportscar
By smiling face on 06/16/08 08:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The biggest surprise, even for those who have read road tests on this car, is the huge amount of torque once behind the wheel. Just stepping into it moderately in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear it reminds me so much of a '67 Mustang 390 I once owned. But, compared to that ancient beast, this little jewel is light years ahead in practicality. And it is mega-light years ahead in handling, cornering power, braking and steering response. In summary, this is a confidence-building and unfinicky sportscar with very good seats, great comfort amenities for its price, a very useable back seat area (when in place) with lots of hauling room by folding the seats down - a near perfect practical sportscar to me!

Terrific car for the price
By MSITOOLLADY on 05/31/08 06:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

So far no problems. Has awesome pickup, handles just fine. Fun to drive. This car is perfect. If you want to go slow and save on fuel you can but, if you want to go it is right there with you. No trouble passing, taking bends, stopping is great too. I think the way everything is set up inside is great, do not change it. Love the cup holders in the doors in the back especially. It is great for my children. The seats are firm but give great support in all areas. The material is easy to clean when needed. I love my color mica blue. The seats are two toned which adds character to the car. I always liked hatchbacks. And this is not your typical one. If you want a sports car drive this first.

Best Bang for the Buck!
By Howard on 01/19/08 21:44 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

If you haven't heard, the Mazdaspeed 3 is one of the best bangs for the buck. The turbocharged 2.3L engine is smooth and responsive, but power falls off above 5500rpm. Handling is nice and tight, with the ride being borderline over dampened. Interior quality is good, but I have encountered a noisy seat belt buckle which was easily fixed. The car is just too much fun to drive. Its the ultimate compromise between a sporty car with utility, at a great price.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 in VA is:

$115 per month*