2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Mazda3 model:
All you need in a performance inspired car, and more
By boostaholic1 on 07/15/13 15:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is exactly what I was looking for when I was shopping for a new one back in 2008. I've had it now for 5 years and not a single problem. Very fun and exciting to drive. More than enough power for a 2.3L 4 cyl, and plenty of space inside as well for passengers and cargo. I get compliments everywhere I go from friends to strangers, men and women.

Japanese Quality that's precision-engineered to implode at 36,000 miles
By mollari_2261 on 08/07/12 19:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Never abused, raced, modified, or wrecked, and serviced only my Mazda dealerships, yet it still began self-destructing within 100 miles of the end of the warranty. From 36K to 55K: · silly-putty factory rear motor mount began eating itself · steering began clicking and popping, dealer could not diagnose · pot-metal shift knob attachment rod sheared off while driving · toy-car-plastic shift cable end broke off of gear knob · BlOSE radio died · engine developed incurable throttle lag · 2nd gear (and no other) would either (a) engage smoothly (b) engage with notchiness (c) grind (d) not engage at all; dealer could not diagnose · 1 passenger window failed · power lock in driver's door failed

Love it! But it's rough.
By aam07 on 01/22/12 21:37 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 New Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a love hate relationship with my 08 Mazdaspeed3. I love how fast it is, but I hate how rough and loud it can be. The suspension on it has been crap since I bought it new. The valving/dampening is wrong on it. It gets easily unsettled over speed pumps and rough roads. Gas milage has been good over all considering how much power it has. It does however require premium fuel.

Turbocharged practicality
By johnkit1 on 01/16/12 15:06 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 New Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the sort of car you can buy if you want something fun to drive yet also want the ability to haul things or people. Depending on who you are talking to, you could presumably describe two entirely different cars without lying. If I were talking to my mom, it's a cute people hauler with 60/40 split rear seats and plenty of cargo space. If I were describing it some guy while filling my car -- yeah -- it's a turbo. And no, I don't want to race your SRT-4. Either way, it's quirky enough to make daily driving interesting while lacking some of the gaudy plastic bits that adorn performance variants of other manufacturers.

Good Car
By kylenismo on 07/25/11 18:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 New Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Alright so here is my review on the speed3. I have owned mine for about a year and a half now and I must say I'm extremely happy with it. You never forget that you are driving a Japanese tuner car. There is a lot of engine drone in the cabin and if you roll the windows down it gets even louder. I can take about every corner you can think of and still not lose control. It is front wheel drive so if you go up against a new WRX or EVO you will lose, but not by much. Not to mention this car brand new is about 5K less than those. For the money you get all kinds of fun. Anyone looking to by a practical, fast, stick shift car, the speed3 is your best bet.

Great car
By Her on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my MS3 used two weeks ago and now I start to hear wheezing sounds come from the engine. I don't know if that is the problem with all MS3's or not. The paint is easily scratched off. So if you want the paint to remain on as long as possible, you should think about getting a coat on the car. Other than that, the car is a beast for that size.

Great Car!
By Turbo69 on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had my MS3 since 4/09, and have loved every minute of it. It's practical, as well as very quick and fast. Few cars will stay w/ this one, esp on the highway. Its turbo 2.3 puts out some serious power. Brakes are firm and very effective. Handling is xlnt (but you MUST get snow tires in the winter, as the OEM summer tires have ZERO grip in any freezing precip. Scary). The 6-speed shifts smoothly, and the clutch has a progressive take- up (although a bit of slippage is sometimes necess). Seats are great. Trip computer is handy. MPG is 30-32 on the highway, mid 20's in town. Did I mention that thing hauls? I've blasted past unsuspecting Ford GT's, Ferraris, Porsches, etc. :o)

Car with Character
By Gordon MacDowell on 08/08/10 06:46 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 New Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I enjoy this car more than any other that I have ever owned because it makes me smile no matter how and when I use it. I can putt putt to work and enjoy the burbling sound, effortless torque and 25 mpg. I can step on it for a Sunday drive and enjoy great acceleration, cornering and responsiveness (though the steering feel is a bit numb and effort a bit too high). It is especially fun in the winter! With aftermarket wheels and full snow tires, the steering lightens up, the ride softens, and pushing the limits is fun. Whether it caries the cross country skis, golf clubs, or family, this car provides inconspicuous pleasures. The clutch-transmission requires more technique than any other.

Zoom Zoom = Fun Fun
By mattli on 07/13/10 21:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought this car not long after our first child. Compromise (it's like a wagon, right honey). Engine sold me. Car is fast, handles great and gets pretty good mileage for the performance. Brakes and clutch are just right in the amount of firmness and travel. Interior is slick, though a bit cramped in the back seat. Holds a ton of stuff in the hatch and can still look cool. My wife loves it now, though we may have to trade for something a bit bigger. We have another child on the way and while it will hold both car seats, we may still want some additional company once in a while. Overall a great car and value.

Couldn't ask for more
By Daniel Jobe on 04/23/10 11:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is really great. You get so much more for the price. I bought my ms3 gt used about 5 months ago for $18k. It has a ridiculous amount of mid-range torque and can handle high speed corners extremely well. It is also great to live with everyday. I was smiling the whole test drive. I drove gti's and g35's and they both felt slow compared to the ms3. Everyone complains about the "vague" shifter. It's fine really. I've missed shifts before but it is never hard to find a gear.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.