Love, hate relationship.
By sleepyspeed3 on
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
Loved it at first, then things started falling apart. Broken motor mount recalled, EGR failure, Started smoking at idle at about 30k miles. I replaced the turbo inlet pipe, valve cover vent (added restricter). Made my own oil restricter bolt 66 instead of 98, swapped out the bpv and springs and shims, still needed a custom tune to up the idle to 1100. Now I find myself babying the thing so the turbo won't blow. Canada made Mazda recall the k04 turbo. We didn't get so lucky here in the USA. So unless you're a mechanic or really good with a wrench stay away from this year and maybe a few others too.
Favorite Features
Turbo when it is not smoking and suspension when the rear sway bar doesn't pop off.
Suggested Improvements
Different turbo. Upgrade the EGR system. Better ecu tune. Better LSD instead of restricting the 0-60 in first and 2nd gear. Better motor mounts.
By amchev
on 06/18/13 07:57 AM (PDT)

I bought my 2007 MazdaSpeed3 new and now have 103,000 miles on it. I haven't had any of the problems that you have had. The only time it's been in the shop was the motor mount recall (preventive). Mine has been just as trouble free and reliable as the Honda cars I've owned before.