Used 2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed 3 model:

Perfect Blend
By Mazda Man

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Hatchback Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After a long period of test driving cars I finally decided the Mazda was for me. It's just got everything I need and want. Plenty of room for all my stuff, good gas mileage and has plenty of power. Step on the gas and you feel an invisible wave of torque moving you along. Bottom end, top end, there's always plenty of power. The handling is extraordinary, probably handles as well as some rwd cars. Torque steer is alive but manageable. Keeping all the power in check are the powerful brakes, the steering is responsive and provides lots of feedback. All this performance and fun and still enough room for everything you own. This car is an amazing mixture of all you need.

Favorite Features

The power and the feeling of the turbo pushing you along. The way it handles with minimal understeer and roll. Controls all placed perfectly. GPS. The transmission thats slick with short and close throws. The way the car looks wheather moving fast or standing still while everyone admires it.

Suggested Improvements

Being picky here but I just dont like the interior design at all. Torque steer off launch can be a little crazy. No sunroof. Power ends at 5k rpms.

Thanks Mazda for making this car!
By franck

Hatchback. Turbo. Clean design. Lots of amenities. Fun to drive. Safe. Stable. Comfortable. Fast. Good brakes. Leather. Affordable. Sounds like a perfect car!

Favorite Features

Speed, stability, tons of grip, overall value.

Suggested Improvements

Notchy shifter. Steering feel.

Jack of all trades
By Craig

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned many performance cars:91MR2,02Miata,03WRX,05STI and this is closest to the STI for performance. I bought the car because I wanted a car that could be fast and practical, and this fits the bill perfectly. For a FWD car this has to be one of the best. Handling is fantastic and torque steer is perfectly manageable. The front diff pulls you into corners instead of pushing you out of them. The stability electronics are perfectly calibrated to handle the car’s power along with the limited slip diff. I can get from 19mpg city to over 30mpg highway. This car has a DISI engine (Direct Injection) that is very versatile, capable of delivering good power or MPG depending on how you drive.

Favorite Features

DISI (Direct Injection) engine and Hitachi/Warner K04 turbo. Super Torsen Limited Slip Diff. Torque Management/TC/DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) most of the time its helpful in preventing unwanted wheel spin. 18” Wheels and tires are nice and perform very well. Aux audio input and 2nd jack for MP3.

Suggested Improvements

No turbo sounds from the stock intake and I like to hear my turbo “whoosh”. Shifter bushings would be nice. Brakes emit excessive dust and make the wheels black between washes. Tail pipe also is perpetually black because DISI engine runs rich.

The Ultimate Sleeper Car
By Chris

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is unbelievable. As of this review I have had the car for just over 1000 miles. I love the performance. The car handles great. One of the great parts of it is that if a regular mazda 3 hatchback or this car drives by you going fast, from a side view it is hard to tell the difference because there is no badging on the side. You will fool most people if you try to race them at a stoplight. The gear ratio is very nice. It's great when you can pass someone on the highway in top gear because of the turbo. There is not much turbo lag at all. The traction control works well. Remember that this car has 263hp so don't expect great fuel economy. I love the car I would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

The engine! Great brakes, nice 18" rims, nice sounding exhaust, good looking rear spoiler, pretty roomy interior, great all around car.

Suggested Improvements

A sunroof like on the regular mazda 3 hatchback. A 6-disc cd changer on the sport model standard, not a single disc.

My Mazdaspeed sleeper !!
By Wrblue04

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I can't believe how much this car is a bang for the buck! I installed a Fujita cai and a Turbo XS race pipe and it feels like 300+Hp!! I absolutely love this car and I came out of a stage 2 wrx, so I know fast and this car is faster than my wrx!!

Favorite Features

Speed, handling and exterior looks.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage and seat comfort.