2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Mazda3 model:
Love, hate relationship.
By sleepyspeed3 on 03/13/13 16:30 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Loved it at first, then things started falling apart. Broken motor mount recalled, EGR failure, Started smoking at idle at about 30k miles. I replaced the turbo inlet pipe, valve cover vent (added restricter). Made my own oil restricter bolt 66 instead of 98, swapped out the bpv and springs and shims, still needed a custom tune to up the idle to 1100. Now I find myself babying the thing so the turbo won't blow. Canada made Mazda recall the k04 turbo. We didn't get so lucky here in the USA. So unless you're a mechanic or really good with a wrench stay away from this year and maybe a few others too.

GREAT GUY FOR THE BUCK
By mustangleader4 on 10/27/11 23:56 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought car new. Like most owners have written, lots of power for the buck. Surprise to get 30 mpg on highway driving 75. So far it's been very reliable which I was concern since this was the first year model which by the way quicker than the latest models due to weight. Much has been written about torque steer and touchy clutch. Haven't experience such problems because I don't floor the car from a dead stop or release the clutch out fast which the dumb car reviewers from Autoweek, Road and Track, etc.do when testing the car out. Can keep with BMWs, Porsches, etc. once you are rolling. Some say VW GTI is a better daily driver which isn't true if you drive the car like normal driver.

Best Daily Driver Ever?
By Bufalo on 03/28/10 14:26 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The ultimate "sport utility." Three and a half years into ownership, and it still feels new and fun. I can haul a half-stack bass amp rig, plus enough PA gear for a full band to play a bar, and there's still an empty passenger seat for the lady to come along. I can fit enough lumber for a weekend building project and still beat the pants off anything else on the road when I'm driving home. Fuel economy is good enough, would be better if my foot was lighter. Power is enormous in any gear, brakes are strong from any speed, and the grip is far beyond what you expect for such a tall car. If there was ever a better daily driver for the driving enthusiast, I couldn't tell you what it was.

Best hot hatch
By esell1 on 02/13/10 21:45 PM (PST)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I own an 07 Mazdaspeed 3 and a 2007 VW GTI. The speed wins hands down for spirited driving on a back country road but suffers in town. A very short 1st gear and stiff suspension makes for a taxing drive in stop and go traffic. I take the GTI for around town driving and leave the Speed for the weekends. Oh and I average 15mpg city and 28-30mpg freeway. That's even when I skip gears and drive very lightly. The GTI on the other hand returns on average 20-25mpg city.

I finally got my Mazdaspeed 3
By Sleepyspeed on 10/25/09 21:21 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I absolutely love this car!! 263hp, 0-60 in about 5.6 sec, handles like it's on rails, and I'm getting almost 28 mpg and all for about $18k. It was a no brainer. This car will have you looking for a longer, twisty way home. And to top it all off, it looks like a little hatchback grocery getter. Can you say sleeper anyone? I even debadged it for that little extra stealth. Most people think it's just a Mazda 3 until you drop the hammer. Now I just smile and wave at the pulled over guys and their hopped up Hondas, WRXs, STIs, EVOs, GTIs etc., knowing I have a better performance to dollar ratio.

Mazda makes your heart go zoom-zoom
By Secret McSecretson on 04/25/08 20:50 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the second Mazda I have owned, and I cannot say enough good things about them. I cannot say I am a fan of paying 600 dollars for 18" tires, but I can say that I am a fan of enormous brake rotors, so it balances out. If you are looking for a bargain performance car, then you cannot beat this one. I was really looking for a wagon, which meant my options were this and the Subaru WRX. This car outperformed the WRX in acceleration and braking (I cannot say that I had a good test of handling on my test drives). The interior design on the WRX also could not compare with the Mazda. I love this car, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a fun drive.

Awesome!
By nice on 04/17/08 13:30 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been on numerous trips with this fantastic and unbelievable car. I have been to Brooklyn, San Diego, Houston, Miami, and even to the coast of Mexico, but I live in Atlanta! This car takes my son to football practices/games, and my daughter to dance practices/competitions.I love it.

Another one...
By Tegronin on 04/08/08 10:54 AM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car. THIS is what sport- compacts are all about. The small size makes for easy parking, the interior is functional and has great space effiicency. the engine is always there, torque steer is minimal and easily controlled once you adjust to the car. The car needs very little from the manufacturer, and it comes with floor mats!

Jack of all trades
By Craig on 11/27/07 13:09 PM (PST)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned many performance cars:91MR2,02Miata,03WRX,05STI and this is closest to the STI for performance. I bought the car because I wanted a car that could be fast and practical, and this fits the bill perfectly. For a FWD car this has to be one of the best. Handling is fantastic and torque steer is perfectly manageable. The front diff pulls you into corners instead of pushing you out of them. The stability electronics are perfectly calibrated to handle the car’s power along with the limited slip diff. I can get from 19mpg city to over 30mpg highway. This car has a DISI engine (Direct Injection) that is very versatile, capable of delivering good power or MPG depending on how you drive.

The Ultimate Sleeper Car
By Chris on 10/10/07 09:01 AM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is unbelievable. As of this review I have had the car for just over 1000 miles. I love the performance. The car handles great. One of the great parts of it is that if a regular mazda 3 hatchback or this car drives by you going fast, from a side view it is hard to tell the difference because there is no badging on the side. You will fool most people if you try to race them at a stoplight. The gear ratio is very nice. It's great when you can pass someone on the highway in top gear because of the turbo. There is not much turbo lag at all. The traction control works well. Remember that this car has 263hp so don't expect great fuel economy. I love the car I would recommend it to anyone.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.