2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed Mazda3 model:
Love, hate relationship.
By sleepyspeed3 on 03/13/13 16:30 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Loved it at first, then things started falling apart. Broken motor mount recalled, EGR failure, Started smoking at idle at about 30k miles. I replaced the turbo inlet pipe, valve cover vent (added restricter). Made my own oil restricter bolt 66 instead of 98, swapped out the bpv and springs and shims, still needed a custom tune to up the idle to 1100. Now I find myself babying the thing so the turbo won't blow. Canada made Mazda recall the k04 turbo. We didn't get so lucky here in the USA. So unless you're a mechanic or really good with a wrench stay away from this year and maybe a few others too.

GREAT GUY FOR THE BUCK
By mustangleader4 on 10/27/11 23:56 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought car new. Like most owners have written, lots of power for the buck. Surprise to get 30 mpg on highway driving 75. So far it's been very reliable which I was concern since this was the first year model which by the way quicker than the latest models due to weight. Much has been written about torque steer and touchy clutch. Haven't experience such problems because I don't floor the car from a dead stop or release the clutch out fast which the dumb car reviewers from Autoweek, Road and Track, etc.do when testing the car out. Can keep with BMWs, Porsches, etc. once you are rolling. Some say VW GTI is a better daily driver which isn't true if you drive the car like normal driver.

Bring on the ZOOM ZOOM!
By Jiggins7919 on 06/28/10 12:55 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Well, being a car guy I knew exactly what I was looking for when I began my car search. Manual transmission, plenty of power, but also utility for my new family. Test drove several cars that were almost good enough, but fell in love with this quirky turbo immediately. Mine is SUPER red with Mazda RX-8 wheels and looks very sharp. I have the Grand Touring package that comes with a super radio and other fun options. The price was right on, and the gas mileage can be as good as you want it to be, or as bad as your right foot tells it to be! Simply put, a spectacular vehicle that does so many things well. I can't wait to get off from work and drive it home!

Fantastic Drive and Quality for $$$
By james5648 on 03/31/10 22:54 PM (PDT)

As a former owner of a Subaru WRX, there is much more car here for the money than with my beloved WRX at around the same cost. No turbo lag here. Very responsive to the pedal and the steering. This thing is fun to drive! Sleek interior design. From the console hosting auto temp regulators, auto wipers, down to the stitching on the seats, shifter, and wheel. Attention to detail. The computer will also tracks mpg, miles to empty and instantaneous mi/gal Not sure how useful instant mi/gal actually is but it's there if you like too much information. Adjustable headlights are standard. Again probably overkill but there if you are on dark roads and don't want to blind oncoming traffic.

Best Daily Driver Ever?
By Bufalo on 03/28/10 14:26 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The ultimate "sport utility." Three and a half years into ownership, and it still feels new and fun. I can haul a half-stack bass amp rig, plus enough PA gear for a full band to play a bar, and there's still an empty passenger seat for the lady to come along. I can fit enough lumber for a weekend building project and still beat the pants off anything else on the road when I'm driving home. Fuel economy is good enough, would be better if my foot was lighter. Power is enormous in any gear, brakes are strong from any speed, and the grip is far beyond what you expect for such a tall car. If there was ever a better daily driver for the driving enthusiast, I couldn't tell you what it was.

Best hot hatch
By esell1 on 02/13/10 21:45 PM (PST)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I own an 07 Mazdaspeed 3 and a 2007 VW GTI. The speed wins hands down for spirited driving on a back country road but suffers in town. A very short 1st gear and stiff suspension makes for a taxing drive in stop and go traffic. I take the GTI for around town driving and leave the Speed for the weekends. Oh and I average 15mpg city and 28-30mpg freeway. That's even when I skip gears and drive very lightly. The GTI on the other hand returns on average 20-25mpg city.

I deeply regret purchasing my MS3
By vmax186 on 11/23/09 18:17 PM (PST)

Why I won't buy another Mazda: Blown LF strut at 25,000 miles. Smoking turbo at 26,000 miles. The turbo was replaced, but now Mazda claims that the smoking is actually caused by an inadequate PCV system. Five months ago it was promised that a PCV revised system would be available in 90 days. Now Mazda is saying the fix won't be ready until March. Variable Valve Timing Actuator became noisy at 46,000 miles. At 51,000 miles the car is throwing a EGR flow insufficient fault code. This repair-$600-will be on my nickel as it seems that the EGR system is not covered by either the powertrain or the 49 state emissions warranties. RF strut is also failing. The worst automotive choice I've made.

I finally got my Mazdaspeed 3
By Sleepyspeed on 10/25/09 21:21 PM (PDT)

2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed Mazda3 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I absolutely love this car!! 263hp, 0-60 in about 5.6 sec, handles like it's on rails, and I'm getting almost 28 mpg and all for about $18k. It was a no brainer. This car will have you looking for a longer, twisty way home. And to top it all off, it looks like a little hatchback grocery getter. Can you say sleeper anyone? I even debadged it for that little extra stealth. Most people think it's just a Mazda 3 until you drop the hammer. Now I just smile and wave at the pulled over guys and their hopped up Hondas, WRXs, STIs, EVOs, GTIs etc., knowing I have a better performance to dollar ratio.

Fun car,good mileage, ho hum quality
By Audiosaurus on 03/28/09 08:55 AM (PDT)

Short review.... I get 26.5 mpg overall mpg, posted seems low. And I go pretty fast. Bose stereo is a waste of money. Basic system is fine, and the OEM speakers they use are very good--even if you replace the head unit, stock speakers are solid. Seems Bose didn't tune the system because it rattles terribly. I'm an audio dood; Bose are clown shoes. A safety recall on engine mount, an "unofficial" recall on d-link in rear end, and a throttle failure in first year. Occasionally belches smoke. Hmm. Interior design is nice. Lots of rattles. Good cargo capacity. More fun than the WRX, feels faster, snappier brakes. Clutch is sticky and 'sudden'. Best 'fast' car for the money, by far

Couldn't be happier!
By iightfyre on 08/26/08 19:04 PM (PDT)

This car is the best in its class. I drove the Civic Si, Sentra SE-R spec-v, Acura RSX type S, Subaru WRX. The other cars don't even compare. The Mazdaspeed 3 is by far the fastest on the market. Looking to spend under $25k, I was shocked at the performance that I found with Mazdaspeed 3. 0-60 in 5.5 seconds... wow.. it's fast. Torque steer is not noticeable after you learn how to drive it. This car is absolutely fast and will blow away anything less than $60k in a street race (I know, I've done it). The bottom line is that this car is hot, has a very comfortable interior, has amazing power, great handling, great breaking and did I mention... it's FAST!!!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.