Used 2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed-3 - Consumer Reviews

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Sport 2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (51 reviews )

A fun jack of all trades
By maikell77

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my speed3 for almost 2 years now. In that time I have put 54,000 miles on it. I can say that it's a fun car, It has a good amount of cargo space, and it roadtrips well. The fuel economy isn't bad, but the read out is a bit optimistic. I use the car for family roadtrips (500mi one way my wife and I), work (multiple 500 mi days per week), and even the ocasional track day. Currently at 77k and really nothing unexpected as far as maintence goes. Spirited public roads driving the speed3 is as much fun as the GTO and 540i M-sport I have owned previously. It does have understeer at the limit, and that does sap a bit of track day fun.

Favorite Features

The power! It will pin you back and put a grin on your face. The shifter is a bit knotchy but you know you're in gear. The handling is superb. It has great balance and a 9/10 is as much fun as more expensive cars.

Suggested Improvements

Stock tires do not last long at all. I switched to Continental DWS they last twice as long, are more quiet and soften the ride a bit. Stock front pads will turn your wheels black in a week. I switched to Hawk HPS and less dusting but just as good on the stopping power. Road noise/engine noise can be a bit annoying when the car is driven in the just get me home mode.

Don't Hesitate, it has everything you want.
By primetime8032

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

To start off, I've only owned this car for 4 days now. I was a very proud rx8 owner and loved every bit of it, except for the gas mileage. This car, has everything that you want. Perfect handling, the right amount of power, it's very practical and to be honest, economical. I know people will be like "economical? it only gets 18mpg!" Yeah, when you're flooring it everywhere. When I drove home from the dealership I was about 50 miles away from home. I drove it like a grandma and averaged 34mpg. So if you really want to economical, this car can definitely do it. I can't talk on the reliability as I just got the car, but I still rated it a 5 because I love everything about this car.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Didn't like the front grill at first, but I got it in black so it's not very noticeable. But they shouldn't of made the 'happy' face. Other than that this car is perfect.

Fantastic car if you have smooth roads
By slow_jim

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I owned this car for about a year and had absolutely no issues with it. Added on a couple of goodies (Corksport intake and cat delete, Cobb Accessport) which significantly increased the power without sacrificing MPG or driveability. For the $$ the MS3 really is the performance bargain of the century. Great build quality and reliability, handling, power, it's all there. Don't listen to the weenies who complain about torque steer, it's really not bad or difficult to control. Wheels spinning? STOP PUSHING THE GAS PEDAL. It's not complicated. The only reason I got rid of the car was the ride comfort. We have horrible roads in Ohio with giant potholes and lots of speed bumps so it was just a pain

Favorite Features

Plenty of space with the seats folded down. I have a 86lb golden retriever and he had more than enough room, even with just one of the seats folded. Standard stereo sounds awesome, the Bose upgrade is a waste of money. The nav isn't worth it either. Stick with the base model. Love the torque and turbo spool-up sound after installing an intake (not an easy installation though).

Suggested Improvements

Limited aftermarket, ride comfort on rough roads. Not really enough space in the back seat for kids or car seats. 18" tires are expensive and ride VERY firm

Work of art!
By rustysurfsa

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my Speed 3 w/ tech package after driving my girlfriends new Mazda 3 S. After driving her car I knew a Mazda would be my next purchase. These cars are amazing! They fly around the corners with ease! I not talking about cornering around a curb at 30 mph, Iím talking sideways at 60-70 mph. These things hold a line so well itís like youíre on rail! The best thing about going around a corner in my Speed 3 is that itís absolutely flat while doing it. Iím in love! Power is a huge + this thing is a rocket ship!! Fuel economy is great too. I averaged 28 mpg on my last tank. Only thing I would complain about is thereís a small amount of torque steer, but that adds to the fun. Great job MAZDA!

Favorite Features

Handling!! Power!!! Interior and Exterior Styling! Transmission Navigation Push button start No keys required!

Suggested Improvements

I would improve the motor mounts or at least put a shock absorber on the motor to reduce all that torque while shifting. I'm going to install the ingalls shock soon, I hear it eliminates all of that shutter.

34,000 happy miles!
By blackms3

2010 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Owned this baby for 34,000 miles now! First off, this is a really fun car to own. I have three kids (9yrs and 6yr twins) and they fit with no problem in this car (even with boosters). Never get tired of the power this car makes in every gear, passes without downshifting. Fuel eco is not exceptional, but coming out of a 12mpg truck I've at least doubled it. Have to use premium fuel, runs like hell on lower octane fuel. If you live in an area that gets snow you will need a set of winter tires, I don't care how great a driver you think you are, the performance tires on this car are outright dangerous when temps fall in the 30's. All in all I would highly recommend this to anyone!

Favorite Features

POWER! Lets be honest, you are buying this because its a fun car to drive. My wife has a yukon denali with a 6.2 liter and all the bells and whistles, but I would rather be driving my mazda. Interior is 2010 models are lightyears beyond previous models. Not a nice as the GTI's, but the performance will more than make up for that. I rarely see other cars on the road that I wish I owned. This car handles like its on rails, you can slam it into tight turns and it just goes...no body roll or skitishness. Roomy...for a little car there is tons of roam in this thing for kids, groceries, golf bags, luggage...whatever. Compare to similar models and you'll see. The nav screen is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

Ok, this car isn't perfect...these items are annoying but minor. Bose should be embarrased their name is on this radio. The Bose in GMC is 100 times better. Tires produce a lot of road noise (my winter ones are much quieter). Clutch lets out the at the last 10% of throw...again, annoying but fine. Have a squeak around the instrument pod, which is a common complaint. Some complain of torque steer, to me it a reminder that the turbo is working it's magic. One reviewer said driving this car hard is a bit like riding a bull, I couldn't agree more...and that never gets old! You'll need ramps for oil changes...not uncommon for a low sitting car. Give us all the power in first two gears!!