Not Meeting Expectations
By jtb82 on
2014 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
The car has a great appearance and seemed to be a decent value, but the fuel economy has not even come close to the averages seen on the window sticker. The sticker averages were 26 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway. My car is averaging 24 mpg and I drive mostly on highways. Would not recommend!
By mazi6
on 07/14/14 12:50 PM (PDT)

Do you guys reset your average MPG calculator with each fill up? Sounds like that could be the issue here. Press and hold the center of the info. button when the avg. mpg screen is showing. That should reset it. Regarding the 28 MPG your son is getting - that sounds about what I get with my 2014 mazda 6 GT in town. My most recent tank has been almost all highway and I'm at 37.4. It was reading 40 mpg avg. for the first 100 miles driving on the highway, so on a good day I think 40 is possible if you're going long distance. That's w/ iELOOP. If your son is young, its possible he's a little more aggressive driver and may have to adjust his habits to see better mileage. I agree with you about the tank reading empty but really having another 100 miles to go - that's misleading, but also nice when it only takes 12 gallons or less to fill up at that point.

By rudy_w
on 08/16/14 18:18 PM (PDT)

I'm joining the chorus. In 12,000+ miles on a 2014 Mazda6 Grand Touring, I REGULARLY get at least in the low-30s for MPG, and that's almost exclusively if there was a lot of stop-and-go. On the highway, it's easy to get 34-35 MPG or more, as long as I'm not completely lead-footed. Suggestions to RE-SET the MPG computer on each fill-up might have something to do with this; can't rule out something wrong with either the computer or the car/fuel injection system, but I'm just not seeing anything like what this owner reports. For what it's worth, it can't hurt to check MPG agains the computer the old-fashioned way when you fill-up (re-set trip odometer at each fill-up, divide miles on trip odo by # gallons to re-fill)... I do this all the time, and the computer is usually pretty close to right-on.

By steved14
on 07/04/14 03:47 AM (PDT)

I have a 2015 iSport 6 automatic with about 5000 miles on it and have been averaging 32.5 mpg in daily mixed driving and just did a 400 mile round trip with 35 mpg on all highway. This is based on my calculating gallonage purchased vs miles driven, not by the electronic gauge which has slowly climbed to 30.9 mpg (it increases the more I drive the car). My 6 typically gets 500 miles on a tank which I've found leaves a 30 mile range in reserve, a true camel. I've come to not disregard the electronic fuel gauge which inaccurately shows the car as empty at around 460 miles, when there's almost a 100 mile range left in the tank; too conservative and a bit annoying. Since it reads as a blank so early on, I now judge range with a 480-500 mile cutoff for refueling My son has a 2014 iSport automatic, and has been getting only about 28 mpg; he'll be bringing his car to the dealer to check out. I suggest you do the same, your numbers being so low.

By cubanpete
on 06/30/14 10:03 AM (PDT)

Are you basing this on the dash display? If so, there's something wrong with it. Or there's something seriously wrong with your vehicle. I average ~35 and I double check it with my own figures at the pump. This seems to be pretty typical.