Real driver, real world
By nwcab1 on
2014 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
Every review on here seems to be written by Mazda's PR dept. This car has a major issue. Everything about the car is excellent, except for the transmission. It is flat out terrible. Read the reviews at cars.com, this is not isolated. In their attempt to save gas, Mazda has created a transmission that will not shift down unless you floor it, and then the pedal engages some sort of performance button imbedded in the floor and the car lurches forward unsafely. Real world driving is miserable. Every down shift is met with a delay sending your body forward, and then the car lurches forward a second later. Simply awful. Test drive in traffic, around corners, change speeds...you'll see.
Favorite Features
Styling, comfortable seats, fuel economy
Suggested Improvements
Transmission is borderline unsafe and definitely unpleasant. Very, very disappointing. I can't believe I'm stuck with this car as I'm sure there is not avenue other than losing thousands of dollars to get rid of it.
By myedmunds7
on 04/01/14 08:24 AM (PDT)

We have 2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring and are very happy with the car and transmission. I just drove from Minnesota to Florida (1550 miles) and it was a very pleasant drive. I have never experienced the transmission issues mentioned by this reviewer. The car shifts very smoothly. If you are light on the gas pedal, it can feel a little slow to accelerate at slow speeds but just a little more pressure causes the car to shift down and accelerate quickly and smoothly. I have never had to put the pedal to the metal (to pass or for any other reason) so I can't speak to the limit this reviewer mentioned. We had no difficulty passing on two lane highways and I had to exercise care to not exceed 80 Mph. The car just felt so smooth and strong that it was easy to speed without realizing it. Handing is outstanding with a very positive grip on the road. A little softer seat would be nice on long drives.

By dancingyaya
on 04/06/14 14:14 PM (PDT)

I have a 2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring and I couldn't be happier with it. I felt compelled to share my experience. I am happy with the transmission's performance - I really don't like sluggish cars. The car ride is smooth, steering feel is great, fuel economy wonderful, but response is there if you want to really put your foot in it! I don't understand why you haven't addressed your dissatisfaction with your dealer. Most states have lemon laws, I believe.

By cubanpete
on 04/02/14 11:19 AM (PDT)

You say you have no avenue out but do not mention taking it back to the dealer for repair - what you're experiencing is not typical and needs to be addressed.

By s100y
on 04/07/14 12:01 PM (PDT)

I have this car for over a year with 11000+ miles and never experienced any problems with the transmission as the reviewer states. If anything this car is a blast to drive , I really find some excuse of the other to drive it. Transmission is smooth, responsive gear shifts (I have auto trans), great handling, good power when needed, overall thrill car to drive. Unlike other cars that have exponential gas pedal response for the first 20% pushdown giving the initial quick jerky start (dangerous IMO) followed by a deadzone, Mazda6 has a linear response throughout which makes it "appear" tad sluggish when starting from a stop, just press the gas pedal a bit harder. Maybe nwcab1's driving style is different from the rest of us.

By franko1
on 04/08/14 19:26 PM (PDT)

I agree with the individuals that report tranny problems. I have a new 14 -6 , 2000 miles and from new the tranny has harsh downshifts from 40 to slowly braking to a stop. The shop drove it and confirmed problem. Mazda hot line asked tech to re-flash to up date. Performed auto. tranny. initial learning per hot line. Some improvement, but now , I'm now noting more harsh up shifting. The shop concluded the tranny is functioning as designed. I wrote the factory and told them this is worst than any other in 50 years. No reponse yet. I am very upset.

By cecmazda6
on 05/26/14 10:39 AM (PDT)

There'flying to be something wrong. If anything, this car's auto transmission is praised in every professional review for being the best in its class, including right here on Edmunds. My 2014 6 is the smoothest shifting car I've ever driven and I have driven many cars. There was maybe some slight lag at first but now after 650 break in miles It's flying effortlessly. It's not a race car but it's darn impressive how agile it moves for what it is. I had a Sonata 2.0 turbo which I loved too and while it was faster 0 to 60 and had 90 more horses I don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would because the 6 is lighter rides better and as a result moves almost as quickly because of the transmission as well as the lighter weight and the chassis. Hope they can fix your issues very sorry to hear best of luck to you..

By letrois
on 04/18/14 16:11 PM (PDT)

In light of the discussions on the transmission in the 2014-15 mazda 6 and my interest in buying the car I took a 2015 6 on an extensive test drive in "real world" situations and was sad to experience some quirky unpleasantness with transmission. It was fine from any standing start when the transmission had reset in first gear. The problem showed up slowing to make a U-turn at about 20 miles per hour, when I made the turn and stepped on the accelerator the car had a lagging hesitation and did not downshift until I push firmer on the accelerator than should have been necessary. I have owned and driven cars of every manufacturer and this lag would be unsettling in any one of them. Since I own an '09 mazda 6 g t and would like to buy a 2015 6 g t, I hope this can be resolved by the company. It is a deal breaker for me.

By cars1974
on 05/12/14 11:17 AM (PDT)

nwcab1, the issue you experience also can caused by engine lack power or not running at full potential. Try to put premium gas to see if the issue goes away or show less. I own an Acura and a Honda and had almost the same issue, putting premium gas in the Honda solved issue.