Serious brake problems
By cubanpete on
2014 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
Anyone considering a mazda 6 should wait until they resolve the following serious issue: My 2014 sport has been in and out of service for loud clunking noises in the rear brakes. So far neither the dealer nor the mazda techs who came out have been able to resolve it. Apparently it has something to do with the calipers. So far they've replaced many of the parts in both rear brakes to no effect. Currently I am waiting while they manufacture larger brake pads to install to see if this solves the issue. I asked them to just replace my vehicle, as this has been dragging on for a long time, but they refuse, so I'm stuck with it while they use me as a guinea pig for their tests.
Favorite Features
appearance, handling, gas mileage.
Suggested Improvements
elliminate the wind noise, fix the issues with the rear brakes. Change the design so that you can open the rear windows without your ears being hurt by the wind buffeting.
By s100y
on 05/03/13 11:26 AM (PDT)

tundradweller, it seems Cuban's brake problem started around 3k miles on his car. How many miles on your car? Mine has 2K, will watch closely as it nears 3k.

By mrfroddo1
on 03/03/14 14:42 PM (PST)

I have the 2014 Mazda 6 and I'm having some breaks issues as well. Every time I back up the vehicle, there's a noticeable clicking noise. It gets louder everyday. I took it to the Mazda dealership and the person who test drove it with me also noticed it. However, the dealership refused to acknowledge any problem and therefore not to fix it. I was told it's a 'normal' operation. They could not do anything. So I call Mazda and they said that the problem was the break pads rocking back and forth that causing the noise but the won't do anything. Again, they said it's a 'normal' operation. I really don't believe them that it's by design that the pads make that noise. I will have to probably file a complaint with the BBB to get them involved. I think it's a design problem. It's very frustrating. You guys need to hold off on buying this vehicle before they solve this problem.

By tundradweller1
on 05/02/13 15:25 PM (PDT)

Sorry to hear of your brake problem. I own a I-Sport and a friend bought the I Touring, neither have had any brake issues. Let us know what the Dealer finds out.

By cubanpete
on 05/13/13 14:28 PM (PDT)

Well, it seems to be fixed now so it's a mute point. Actually, as I stated a few posts earlier, I was about ready to invoke the lemon law. And I will if the problem returns. This car has spent way too much time in the service department while mechanics fooled around trying this and that and giving it back to me over and over still not fixed. As to how "serious" it is, if you read my earlier posts I wouldn't let my family drive the car because I didn't know if it was a dangerous issue or not - nobody seemed to know what the problem was. And to me, constant clunking which ruins the ride is serious in a new car.

By indianadad
on 04/25/13 13:37 PM (PDT)

Your review ratings do not seem to support your frustration with Mazda. If you are so upset that you want them to replace your car, you should be giving much lower ratings, especially for the value, build quality and reliability. You must be very patient with them to still give such high ratings, despite all of the problems and suggested improvements that you list.

By erklegal87
on 05/08/13 06:30 AM (PDT)

Glad to hear that they finally listened and fixed the car. Did they happen to mention that the TSB will be posted immediately. Also, has there been any problems since and do the brakes feel any different. Since this issue has been resolved I am starting to want to purhcase a new one. I was thinking of test driving one this weekend. Was there any feeling at the beginning that I should look for when driving the car?

By cubanpete
on 04/26/13 10:29 AM (PDT)

I hope you're right. My problems started around 3k miles. If it's isolated to my vehicle I'm puzzled why they've been unable to repair it, and why they're off now manufacturing special brake parts. If they would at least talk to me about it - the only contact I've had is a service rep who finally returned my call after I left messages, and he doesn't really know what's going on - said there was "nothing mechanically wrong with the car." I offered to send him a video of the car clunking down the road, but he was totally uninterested.

By whd13b
on 05/11/13 15:36 PM (PDT)

If this issue keeps surfacing, why not pursue the Lemon Law. In most states if you bring the car in for the same thing more than three times and the issue cannot be resolved, you're entitled to compensation. Black and white.

By cubanpete
on 05/06/13 10:25 AM (PDT)

_____***** Resolved *****_____ Last Friday the rear brake pads were replaced with the new version which Mazda designed specifically to address this problem. So far I've put ~70 miles on the vehicle with the fix and it appears to be working. Props to Mazda for acknowledging the problem and coming up with a solution. As I understand it (and I am not a Mazda representative, and don't even play one on TV) all 2014 Mazda6 owners will get the new parts when the time comes to have their brakes serviced. In my opinion, anyone who experiences noises in the rear should talk to their service dept about having their pads replaced with the new ones. I'm only repeating what I was told.

By erklegal87
on 03/26/14 09:09 AM (PDT)

mrfroddo1, this is the same as I had on my 2010 Mazda6. My father also has a Cx-7 which does the same and even my mother's 2012 Toyota Camry XLE does the exact same thing. I dont think its an issue my Fathers CX-7 has 75k on it with the original brakes. He is due to change them soon, we shalll see what happens with the new brakes. I do not like the dealers when they say its normal and hope for the best for your car.

By cubanpete
on 04/25/13 13:56 PM (PDT)

I have tried to be patient, even though I've never had so much as an email from mazda to apologize for everything or to offer a rental until the problems are fixed. I drive my old dodge for now, as the noise in the mazda is so annoying, and appears to be getting worse. As for the reviews, I tried to be fair - there is much to like about this car. I test drove everything in its class before choosing it.

By cubanpete
on 05/08/13 08:44 AM (PDT)

No mention of a TSB, though a service rep did finally call me. He confirmed pretty much what I said and said he was going to send me some merchandise cupons. As for test driving, don't let them steer you down some smooth road - find a bumpy one, as the noise only happened on uneven roads. Since I seem to be the only one who's experienced the issue so far, I don't think you'll have a problem. By the way, the breaks are really good and have been throughout the process - never had a complaint there. Good luck!

By s100y
on 04/26/13 08:58 AM (PDT)

Cuban, sorry to hear about the problem. Looks like an isolated one off incident considering all the glowing reviews on this board. I have put 2k miles on mine and I feel this car had excellent brakes, better braking than the previous Japanese V-6 sedan I had. Keep us posted.

By s100y
on 05/08/13 10:43 AM (PDT)

Cuban, good to know your car is fixed. Was that loud clunking sound coming ONLY when applying brakes or during normal running too ?

By tommyslo
on 04/30/13 08:33 AM (PDT)

Thanks cubanpete and erklegal87 for the info. I hope Mazda is reading this. We test drove the Mazda6 last week and were seriously considering it. We liked it a lot better than the other option which was the Accord. However, these reviews are giving us pause. We might just go with a used car instead.

By cubanpete
on 05/08/13 15:39 PM (PDT)

The clunking occurred when the rear wheels hit a bump - more generally, raised bumps that ran horizontally across the road such as a tar filled crack, etc. It had nothing to do with applying the brakes, nor did it affect the braking performance as best I could tell. Over time it grew worse until, towards the end, the clunking occurred when the rear wheels hit pretty much any bump, such as manhole covers.

By cubanpete
on 05/03/13 08:21 AM (PDT)

Well, we put back into the shop yesterday for the same problem. They were supposed to install the newly manufacured larger brake pads, but they called later that day to say they needed to keep the car another day to "try some things." Doesn't sound like the latest attempt has been too successful but I could be assuming too much. If it doesn't work, I'm going to try to invoke the Ca lemon law.

By mn_test347
on 02/25/14 13:59 PM (PST)

cubanpete - your post seems to be the only existence of any problem with 2014 Mazda6 brake pads. And Google usually keeps up on those things.

By erklegal87
on 04/29/13 09:01 AM (PDT)

Cuban, Very sorry to hear that the 2014 Mazda6 has the same braking problem as my 2010 does. I have been to 3 different dealers and they all tell me that there is nothing wrong with the car. I have even pulled every person who has complained on the Mazda6 forum on-line. I have had the rotors replaced once and then then pads still an issue 20k miles later. I noticed on the new 2014 that brake caliper position on the cars is different from the 2010. The back brakes are on the back of the rotor rather than the front like the 2009-2013 are. I thought the position would have made more of a difference, I guess that they did not put in enough R&D into the brakes. I also figured since the new car was NOT PRODUCED BY FORD that there would be a significant difference. I am glad that there are reviews about the 2014 6. I wanted to buy another one, because I felt the issue would be resolved. I guess it has not. Keep us updated as to what Mazda is doing for your situation and if it is affecting more than just your vehicle.

By tundradweller1
on 05/13/13 08:59 AM (PDT)

I'm not experiencing this issue, and if I were I'm sure I would be upset but as Cuban Pete stated the brakes still work fine. Granted the clunk is annoying, especially on a new car. Would I pursue a Lemon Law return for a clunk? Not likely. I fact I dare say this would not be considered a "serious brake problem". Given this is a clean sheet design car 2014 Mazda 6's will likely have a few minor issues to resolve. The key is how Mazda and the Dealer react to them.