Mazda's Fusion Fighter!
By harrison310 on
2014 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)
Looking to replace my 2010 Fusion, I was *this* close to choosing the redesigned 2013 Fusion, but luckily waited a couple weeks for the new Mazda 6 to arrive. The 6 has a much more driver-oriented dash than the Fusion. MyFord's touch screen is simply hideous, while my 6's Technology package includes the Command Knob which is like the BMW iDrive. The 6's Skyactive engine delivers plenty of power without the added complication of Ford turbocharged engines (already 4 recalls!). While both 6 and Fusion are beautifully styled, I think the 6's high end Jag-like looks will wear better.
Favorite Features
- Styling - 19" wheels! - Smooth power delivery - Miata/BMW/Audi-like dashboard and Command Knob - Jewel-like shift knob - Interior feels roomier than the Ford without the Fusion's space hogging center console. - Pricing of Touring vs Fusion SE. Mazda's Technology package includes premium BOSE stereo, nav, BLIS. To get all that in a Ford, they force you to buy the top of the line Titanium package. - Mazda Tech package is intuitive and doesn't require finger-print-covered touch screen (you can control thru Command Knob), while Fusion MyFord Touch gets dirty pretty fast.
Suggested Improvements
- Would love to have protective body-side molding - new cars seem to be styled to be dinged! - Only 2 cup holders for the front passengers - not as many cubby holes as its competitors
By tundradweller1
on 02/22/13 10:27 AM (PST)

Thanks for the feed back Harrison. I am really interested in the highway mpg too when you get a chance to update. I am considering the Sport with the AT package. Mainly due to the 17" wheels and cloth seats. Test drove one...wow. A friend bought the touring and let me drive 4 of us to dinner and back. Equally impressive. The girls liked the back seat too. Enjoy the new ride!

By tundradweller1
on 02/01/13 08:59 AM (PST)

Harrison, Please let us know what real world (non-dash display) gas mileage numbers you are getting as the motor breaks in. Also any other obsevations, post honeymoon. There are allot of us out here considering the 2014 6. Thank you!

By zoomzoomn
on 02/13/13 06:06 AM (PST)

Ditto. I may want to wait for the diesel, but can't get an exact release date yet. Curious as to the "real world" economy of this car. My '03 V6 6s has a lifetime average of only about 23, so anything will be an improvement. That said, I'm also looking strongly at the Accord Sport. It's getting great reviews and I like cloth interior (only the base 6 has cloth now as the mid trim, Touring, now has pleather :( ).

By harrison310
on 02/15/13 21:26 PM (PST)

I've put 1000 miles on the car so far and really enjoy it. Averaging 27-28 mpg in primarily city driving. Some observations - I really prefer the Command Knob to control the Tech features than the touch screen. I'm also a bit of a clean freak so I prefer the knob rather than cleaning the screen. I would recommend inquiring about different color interiors as the black in the Touring gets pretty dark. It would have been nice if the lock/unlock buttons on the door were backlit. BOSE sound system awesome. Everyday I marvel at the attention to detail and the build quality - this car feels a lot more upscale than my old Fusion. The car's 4-banger provides lots of power around town - lots of RX and 3 owners have swooped around for a closer look at the 6. :)