Initial thoughts
By choppa on
2014 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
Previous Honda Accord owner who in the end was looking for something a little bit different. With the latest Consumer Reports Auto edition praising the new Accord, along with my bias towards Honda, I was sure I would end up in a new 2013. Driving what everyone else drives wasn't a big concern to me. However, I took the time to get to know the redesigned Mazda 6. There were many positives - styling, interior look/quality (especially on GT), EASY to use tech features, fun to drive factor, innovative skyactive engine, chasis, tranny (for those not into CVTs) and Mazda reputation for quality. In the end, there was enough to push me in a new direction. Time will tell but I like it so far.
Favorite Features
Xenon lights w/LED Heated Seats Bluetooth Two tone Almond leather interior w/red stitching Logically placed controls Styling & the Soul Red Split 60/40 back seat Silver painted rims Bose stereo NAV Backup camera/blind spot & backup monitoring system Ability to customize maintenance minder, and electronic behavior- ie door locks, light shut off timers, (there are many you can tweak) Timing chain (no belt to replace)
Suggested Improvements
A little more storage room - center console & along doors Placement of clock. Should be more eye level or within NAV screen Replacement 19 inch tires are going to be expensive. Could've lived with 17 or 18s Coming from a V6 Accord, I would've liked to compare a V6 version in the Mazda. However, I will take the much improved fuel mileage and the 2.5l Skyactive makes a noble effort Wish Mazda didn't recommend synthetic oil in US/Canada versions (0W-20)
By sj1417
on 07/14/13 12:05 PM (PDT)

Did anyone drive the 13 Accord vs. the new 6? I'm curious because I too am a long-time Honda man who absolutely HATES the ride quality on the new Accord. After 9 months I am planning on getting rid of it, because it is miserable on all sorts of roads. I was just wondering if the 6, which is said to also have a firm ride, is better. My Accord is not just firm, it's harsh. Thanks.

By tundradweller1
on 04/07/13 08:29 AM (PDT)

Brought the 6 in to have the oil changed and the dealership used 5-20 blend oil. I asked about synthetic and it is not required. If you look at the international specs 0-20 is only for north America. No doubt to comply with CAFE standards.

By tundradweller1
on 04/01/13 07:02 AM (PDT)

I keep hearing the requirement for synthetic oil yet it does not state this anywhere in the owners manual.

By shinysideup
on 06/14/13 11:06 AM (PDT)

Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you. Have owned or leased a string of Honda vehicles along with having a Honda ATV and motorcycle. The newest Accord is a step in the right direction styling wise, but I'm not sure it has the sporting character I'm looking for. So while I've had lots of enjoyment with my HOnda experience, it may be time for a change. I just test drove an Optima SX and was very impressed with interior materials fit/finish etc. And there's no denying the turbo 2.0L has lots of gitty up, but not sure the driving experience is as good as it could be. Sounds like I really need to check out the 6.