2014 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda 6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Fun, Smooth, and Loud
By burgh412

2014 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I'll cut right to the chase. This is arguably the best-looking car on the road right now, at least with the red paint job. The car feels extremely planted on the highway, and the g-force generated by turning is strangely addictive. Power steering is light for day-to-day driving, but tightens up a bit when you push it. You feel every bump on the road, but I like that, as it makes you feel connected to the road, and there is certainly no chassis wiggle after hitting bumps. Definitely wind noise above 45mph or so, and I have noticed the back window creaking for the first 10-15 minutes of driving on a very cold day. Headlights could be stronger, but are adequate, and base sound system is great.

The styling--easily better looking than cars 3-4x its price (I find myself craning my neck to look back after I park it). Dual exhaust looks great. Bluetooth and Pandora capability works well, but can be slow to connect (30-40 seconds). Minimalist cabin--looks very elegant, with nothing superfluous. Integrated side view mirror turn signals feel upmarket. Soul red paint--a must buy in my opinion, as the car's curves are best accentuated by it. Push-button start is easy and luxurious. Gauges are easy to read and sporty. Interior materials feel great (almost rubber feel for dash/door). Windshield wipers are strong and streak-free. USB and Aux inputs are helpful. Stitching, even on base model.

Definitely reduce wind noise. Auto-down and up for all windows (not just driver's). Bigger nav screen. Armrest could be moved up about 2-3 inches. USB and aux jacks should be easier to access. Better off-the-mark acceleration. V6 option. Option for remote start.

Three months in
By jmick1

2014 Mazda 6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Have a 2004 6i auto with 120K, and replaced a 2012 Golf 2.5 with the 2014 6. Very happy so far. No issues. Lots of good cars out there, so small things make big differences to us, like the shielded trunk hinges, covered cup holders in the console, and steering wheel controls. Controls are well designed and easy to use. Interior storage could be better: compared to the 04 6i, the dash pop up is gone, the door storage holds less, and the console loses the dual level storage. For us, the garage door opener sits in the dash cubbie, the book on CD goes in the passenger door cubbie, and the charging phone sits in the top of the console cubbie. That doesn't work in the 2014.

Driving experience, styling. Driving position and sight lines. Covered cup holders in the center console. Power outlets. Shielded trunk hinges. Steering wheel controls. Easy to read gauges and switches that are large enough to find, identify and actuate without hunting. Backup camera. AC outlet position is easy to point at the body (despite what CR says).

More useful interior storage. An actual coolant temp gauge vice the blue (cold)/red (overtemp) lights. More dash instrument lighting intensity via the rheostat. Offer cloth seats in the Touring trim. Exterior proximity lock/unlock option.

2 months and 3,000 Miles into it...
By spoonman42

2014 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I drove an Acura TSX for 10 years and 175k miles and it was hard to let go. I researched for a year and narrowed down to 4 cars: Mazda6 GT, Honda Accord EX-L 4-cyl, Audi A4, and BMW 328. I quickly deleted the German cars because I didn't want to pay for premium fuel. Nothing wrong with the Honda, just a boring drive, but great features. When I sat in the 6, I knew I was home, great overall experience with all the creature comforts and Great MPG's.

The Transmission is probably the most under-rated element of this car, the power is there when you need it and the car hardly ever feels like it's working hard. Exterior styling is befitting of a much more expensive car. Interior fit and finish is top notch. Seats are very comfortable. Most importantly, this car is extremely versatile, you can have great fun and really put it through it's paces or drive it like a regular commuter and take it easy.

No car is perfect and there are some issues, but I'm nitpicking here: I don't love the ergonomics of the interior HVAC Controls and placement of the clock. As reported various times, the Infotainment system is a bit buggy, but I'm hoping a software update will fix that. There is some wind-noise when compared to more luxury oriented competitors. From a stoplight, the car idles at extremely low rpm, I assume of efficiency and it does take a bit to get going. In the final analysis, none of these are major nor deal-breakers. What Mazda has put together here is the best overall package of sport, luxury, and efficiency. Bravo Mazda!

First Mazda
By samdd

2014 Mazda 6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I owned the 2014 Mazda 6 Touring for about 1 month. Love the exterior styling (grey) with the bright Sand interior. Smooth shifting automatic even if the car is too eager to up shift. Wish there was a sport mode to keep rev higher but you can switch to manual mode. The seat is a bit on the firm side. There is a little more noise than your typical Honda or Toyota. The 19" standard wheel looks great and help with the handling. I owned a V6 Maxima before so I do missed the extra horse powers. Love the MPG, getting around 30-31 mpg on heavy foot.

STYLING, STYLING. The best of all family sedan in appearance. Dash board is clean and simple but looks luxurious. The standard 19 alloy wheels look great and aggressive.

The Nav screen could be bigger. Ipod integration is TOO SLOW, take a few minutes to read music data. The padding on the front leg area could be soft and not hard plastic.

Wow what a fantastic car
By 40yroldkid

2014 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I had a 2005 Mazda6 Hatchback and loved it but the 2014 takes the 6 to a whole different level. I fell in love with the exterior styling as soon as I saw it. When I had the opportunity to test drive it I was blown away, the car drives and handles wonderfully and the interior quality is second to none. I do agree that the navigation system seems a little cheap but it works and everything else is so fantastic I don't mind it at all. I read somewhere in a review "If Porsch made a car under $50,000 this would be it". I couldn't agree more and I only paid $28K for the Grand Touring Edition (it was a demo the sales manager was driving). Oh yea and the fule economy is excellent!

Exterior looks, interior quality wonderful fit and finish, smooth handling, great in the corners, 30+ combined mpg. Constant compliments at the gas pump.

Navigation system seems a bit low end, it works fine but the graphics aren't the best and using it can be a little difficult. The voice recognition is a joke.

• SUV