2014 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Crashworthy
By nobodyspecia1

2014 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Two months after my purchase and about 1000 miles, two kids ran a red light as I entered an intersection. It was night and the Cops were right behind them. The kids were going at least 40mph. My Mazda6 struck the left side of their car. The kids spun through the intersection, took out a light pole and ended up on the lawn of a lawyer's office. Their car was demolished; they jumped out and ran. My Mazda6 coasted through the intersection. Neither I nor my passenger was hurt; air bags did not deploy. The front third of the Mazda6 was destroyed but the passenger compartment was untouched. I have a new Mazda6 on order. It is a great car.

Favorite Features

Crashworthiness.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger navigation screen.

The good, bad, and ugly, i.e. the truth after ~20k
By takumi1

2014 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Finally, an honest review of the good and the bad. Not sure why people leave such biased reviews - all cars have faults. I'd buy the same car again, but let's look at a few things to keep in mind when you test drive. First the good. A beautiful car from any angle - the best in the segment.Terrific gas mileage. Great handling. Comfortable, with a very nice interior if you're not into lots of clutter. Fun to drive. Roomy. Good price. Now some hard truths. Mediocre acceleration from stop. Poor rear visibility. Poor infotainment system, badly positioned, with a laggy voice response system. Massive wind noise. USB difficult to get to Tiny cheap useless sun visors.

Favorite Features

Appearance. Cabin. Gas mileage. Better than other cars in it's class though far from perfect.

Suggested Improvements

Cars have had windows for a hundred years and more - how could Mazda not know how to keep the wind out by 2014? Makes no sense. Change out the silly entertainment system with something better. Install some functional sun visors instead of those tiny economy flaps suspended from two screws. Add a larger arm rest (and take the USB) out of there and put it where it's useful)

A thing of beauty
By larmo1

2014 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am not really into righting reviews, but I love this car. It is perfect for me. It has great gas mileage, fantastic looks, and has a comfortable sweet ride. Holy Cow! Did I say reasonably priced? This is the best car in its class hands down. It gets the same gas mileage with a 2.5 liter engine that my old Honda Civic got with a 1.7 liter engine! What I like most about the Mazda 6 is its smooth acceleration. Most cars lurch or surge when pressing on the gas. Not the Mazda 6. It smoothly and competently accelerates. And I challenge you to feel the transmission shift. It is a thing of beauty. The transmission shifts fluidly like a diver making the perfect dive... not a ripple.

Favorite Features

There are so many things to like about this car that it is hard for me to say what I like best. Transmission aside. It is the total package that is so attractive to me. It does everything very well. Don't get me wrong. The Mazda 6 is not a Lexus and it doesn't try to be. But for the money there is not a better combination of looks, ride, performance and economy without getting a Hybrid. My wife says it is a "manly" looking car? I don't know about that, because it sure is pretty. Oh yeah, I changed the oil the other day. Super easy. The filter and drain are side by side. The oil filter just drops right out. No oil on the engine block or surrounding plastic covers. Nicely done Mazda!

Suggested Improvements

This is getting picky..but the trip mileage display is cramped so it is hard to read some of the numbers. For instance, a seven looks like a one and vice-verse. Storage nooks and crannies are sparse. It would be nice to have more - you know for change and chap stick .....the small stuff that gets used every day and clutters up the beautiful interior. I put a 5 rating for reliability. What am I supposed to say? The car is only three months old! So far so good? When rating new cars, that is a silly category.

My awesome ride
By nobouncecap

2014 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

First a foremost I'm conformable in this car and I'm 6'4",I have plenty of leg/head room. The engine and transmission are great together and the car just begs to be driven fast. The firm suspension is tight/firm but it brings fun to driving again around corners; on flat surfaces its rather smooth. 40mpg is an easy mark to hit on Hway. I have had no issues with the media system and my usb just plays songs like it should, it connects well with my phone too! This car really is fun to drive and with the manual is great! I test drove the Optima, Accord, Fusion and this car bet them all in comfort, features, handling, and style! Get it and you'll love it.

Favorite Features

Blind spot protection, bluetooth, seats, acceleration, style, dual climate system, trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

media button on steering wheel

How a Family Sedan Should Be
By rhagel

2014 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Impressive performance, good looks, reliable, great fuel economy not to mention value priced and extremely fun to drive. I almost don't have to say more. This is such a great car. My 4th Mazda and I keep coming back! I've had the car for just over a month, but my job keeps me on the road with about 3,300 miles on the odometer. My commute requires some light traffic, rolling San Diego hills and speeds of about 75-80 and am consistently seeing 34 mpg having fun passing cars along the way. It's comfortable, has a great interior and the engine and transmission combo is oh so smooth... Hands down, you will not find an overall better value in this segment. Hesitating to buy? Do it!

Favorite Features

Overall performance, great fuel economy, reliability, comfort, sleek looks, 19" wheels

Suggested Improvements

The infotainment center is cheesy and the blind spot monitoring system is poorly executed as well. Please upgrade '14 Mazda 6 owners to the factory touchscreen software that the new '14 Mazda 3 is using. Or something close?

Impressive
By pwhopkins1

2014 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Mazda has really put the full package together with the new 6 - We previously had an 08 3, and loved it, but for much different reasons than how we now feel about the 6 - Every time I stop the car, I think to myself, this was made to be drive - This is a drivers car. Refined, but with some roughness around the edges that make it feel unique in a very busy segment. Love the fuel economy and all the technology in the GT - And the looks....... nothing like it in the segment -

Favorite Features

Styling and performance - Really a head turner and really fun to drive - As some one once said.... Zoom, Zoom -

2014 mazda 6 touring
By tycodyzach

2014 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

went to dealership really wanted a manual touring with blue reflex test drove the car and it kept popping out of 3rd gear on the test drive so i went with the automatic test drove it and decided to get it after signing papers the salesman came out to show me how to set up blue tooth and it wouldnt work then it wouldnt read my ipod so i had to bring it in next day to have them reset the computer and they ordered me a new module for it!! other than that i love it so far only 300 miles into it and still have half tank of gas i commute 20% city 80% highway

Favorite Features

exterior looks amazing, comfortable seats!, great mpg, smooth ride, corners great, power in engine seems good enough, dual exhaust is a plus

Suggested Improvements

stereo in touring is sub par, transmission seems to help stop you when applying brakes kind of annoying when coming to a stop

Only 1 day, but a +++ so far
By rsteph4

2014 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

2014 liquid silver iTouring with auto. Replaces 2006 Cadillac CTS and 2010 Mazda3 sedan. Love it so far. Looked at 4 cars total (Camry, Altima, Sonata, and Mazda6) and for us the M6 beat out the rest, hands down. Of course, it's a personal tastes thing, but I think the M6 was top line for both exterior and interior looks. Drives great. Not quite as snappy as the old M3 6-speed was, but it is bigger and heavier with, basically, same engine. Still, it'll kick you back in the seat just fine. This is still first impression stuff since car barely has 100 miles on it, so we'll see how things are 6-months down the road. Still, don't think you could go wrong with this car.

Favorite Features

Looks and finishes, inside and out. Great price...looks way classier than it costs. Acceleration, handling, responsiveness. 19" wheels on iTouring.

Suggested Improvements

Being critical, just to be critical: Do away with the "leatherette". Make it either cloth or leather. Express window switch for passenger. Front seats an inch wider (they're fine as is, but another inch would be better.)

Very impressive car even with its quirks
By flounda

2014 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Although my search didn't start with the Mazda6, it ended there. Very impressive vehicle especially at this price point. Loaded with features, drives VERY well, comfortable and especially in Soul Red, very good looking. I am a previous Mazda owner so I felt right in home in this car. The driving position and touch points make it feel like you are driving something other than a mid-priced sedan with a mere 4 cylinder engine.

Favorite Features

LOVE the driving position! Relationship between me and the car is perfect. I am really, really impressed with the seats. They aren't advertised as sport seats but they feel that way. I didn't think I would like the gadgets like radar cruise, back up cross traffic warning, etc., but I have to admit, they work very well without being obtrusive. I am getting great gas mileage (32.4 on first fill up in mostly stop/go, in town driving). Sport mode in this transmission is awesome! The change in response and feel in the car is quite noticeable and nice. Integration of the systems, phone, audio, navigation, etc., is well done and the command controller works better than I imagined.

Suggested Improvements

How much does another auto up/down window switch cost? Really Mazda? Only one for the driver is a little disappointing. Although the I-E Loop system saves gas, at low speeds the regenerative brakes seem too aggressive at reducing speed. Not sure this one is worth the effort. The Navigation graphics are comically bad compared to other cars and even stand alone units. It works but you are not going to impress anyone with your state of the art car with this feature. A real temperature gauge would be nice instead of the little blue/red thermostat.

Mazda6 Touring Auto
By weighmaster

2014 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Easily, IMO, the best looking 4 door car under 30k. Handles great, and the driver seat is comfortable as heck. It has surprising acceleration. Its just fun to drive. Gas mileage is great too.

Favorite Features

People wrongly assume this car was out of my budget. It just looks like a more expensive car.

Suggested Improvements

These are all tiny gripes: *I hit my head on the 'ceiling' while sitting in the back seat. I am 6', so it would be nice if they lowered the rear seat a tad, BUT I never plan to be back there. *Gas lid button is in an odd place. *Driver door arm rest is almost non existant for me, would be nice to have that there for my left arm while using cruise control.