2014 Mazda 6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Just LOVE this car! 2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
By rudy_w

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Just a tremendous car if you appreciate handling and enjoy driving. Has me looking forward to highway on-ramps and off-ramps. So stable and planted in corners! Good power, nice 6-speed Auto Transmission (love the paddle shifters on the Grand Touring), mileage is excellent -- easy to get between 35-40 on the highway at normal speeds, and even in-town, it usually gets around 30. It rides firm, no question: if you want a cushy ride, this isn't your car. But it rewards you every time the road starts to curve, and always delivers really good mileage. Good interior space, nice flat trunk, nice back seat. This is absolutely a must-see if you're considering any of the other family sedans.

Favorite Features

Handling and roadholding simply superb. Not a Porsche, but *so* enjoyable on a curvy road. Good power (heck, it's not a 300-hp V8), especially when the great fuel economy is factored in. Have driven over 12,000 miles (it's 8 months old right now) and almost always get 34-38mpg, even with some stop-and-go. Almost everything, from suspension to seats to controls is firm and direct -- really feel "connected" driving this car. Again, it's not a soft, luxury-car ride -- look elsewhere for that. But if you enjoy driving and need a mid-size sedan, this HAS to be considered. My only question is why you don't see tons more on the road. Reliability? Last Mazda I had ran over 400,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Small infotainment screen and voice-command system clearly need upgrading. Otherwise, it's little things... wish the side mirrors mounted on the A-pillar; they're too far back right now. Tire Pressure Monitor erratic, and tells you effectively nothing (not even which tire is low). Wish there was an easy way to simply move up/down thru SiriusXM stations that are not user-memorized, other than turning tuning knob. Would be nice if center dash stack was angled toward driver. Wish clock was bigger and more prominent. Articulating headlights work great, but no effective user-adjustment for height. Like I said, it's little things... Mazda got the fundamentals almost perfect, at least to me

Not Meeting Expectations
By jtb82

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The car has a great appearance and seemed to be a decent value, but the fuel economy has not even come close to the averages seen on the window sticker. The sticker averages were 26 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway. My car is averaging 24 mpg and I drive mostly on highways. Would not recommend!

Its getting boring, talking to all the people who ask about it
By troythiel

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

have had the car a little over a week, 15 GT in Reflex Blue with the almond leather package...and people on the street ask about it everyday...the car is just so dang beautiful that people want to know more about it....I don't have time to tell people about how great the car is...its great in every way so far!

Favorite Features

everything

Just took delivery - so far so good
By mrod500

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I haven't had the car a week yet but so far so good. I agree with the others that it's arguable one of the best looking cars on the road today. I also like that I'm not lumped into the "Camry and Accord" group. There simply aren't that many Mazda 6's on the road so it's nice to be a little different. I can see why they charge more for red or white. I went with white since so many of my friends have red cars. It looks great! I traded in a Corolla for this car so naturally it feels super loaded to me and it is. It's got literally everything. I've had several BMW models in the past and I like to feel the road and that's what you get with the huge 19" wheels.

Favorite Features

Still getting used to the NAV and my previous car had NAV with traffic which was really nice. I don't think this NAV has traffic, or I haven't found to how to turn it on yet. The wheels are awesome, the lip spoiler on both the bottom front and the rear deck make the car look aggressive. The dash is loaded and the leather and stitching so far seems high quality. Fuel economy is supposed to be great however I'm still on my first take of gas so I'll get back to you on that one.

Suggested Improvements

Can always use more horsepower although I went from 140 in my Corolla to 184 in this car so that seems adequate, for now. Arm rests need to be higher, especially for the left arm. The NAV is a little quirky to use (I've never used TOM-TOM before) but I would imagine I'll get used to it.

Fun, practical mid-size for enthusiasts
By kj123

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

If you like the handling of German cars but not the frequent repairs and upsized price, this may be the car for you. The ride is comfortable but definitely firmer relative to Accord, Camry, etc. My most recent cars were Audi A4, BMW 328 and VW Passat. This car is larger than the first two and gets better mileage than all of them...for thousands less. I checked for road noise at highway speeds based on many reviews and also, rough downshifts. I have not personally experienced issues with either.

Favorite Features

Beautiful styling, Bose stereo, blind spot monitoring and Pandora built in.

Suggested Improvements

Vehicle sits low to the ground, getting in and out isn't super easy. It could use additional horsepower.