2014 Mazda 6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Bought the Sport - great deal for the money
By peter_davids

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I love the car's looks. I named my car "Big Red" after a former neighbor, a zaftig redhead. I love the great mileage - right now avg = 33.5, but I've done better. I got the auto trans and the rear view camera and the fog lights - all of which I am happy with.

My car stands out in a sea of white, gray, silver, black Hondas, Altimas, etc. Just gorgeous. I now see they will introduce a coupe: wow! I know this can't be right, but every once in a while I'll see a lexus or an infinity or even a maserati and I laugh. "You paid what?"

A little more horse power. More bolstering in seats. Adjustable arm rest. Fix the completely crap Ipod interface (which I never use). I plug into AUX jack. I actually should get a discount for that. It's terrible.

One year update - still happy
By jmick1

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Follow up to the three month post. Still very happy with the car. Pleasure to drive, easy on the eyes and at the pump. Made it through a South Texas summer and would prefer cloth over leatherette seats--they get pretty warm and don't breathe. That would have meant the Sport vice Touring trim, which would have removed the COMAND knob (which I play with but don't really use). I would have been OK with that since the Sport Auto includes the backup cam, which has turned out to be really nice. The smaller wheels wouldn't have been a deal breaker. Averaging about 31.5 in mixed driving.

Cross traffic warning, handling, engine/transmission are well matched, covered drink holders in console, legible gauges, easy to use controls

More/better interior storage (this is a repeat from earlier post), like bigger pockets in the door to hold a CD case, slightly higher center armrest, cut down with wind noise (noticeable above 50-55 mph)

My experience has been very poor
By oblithian

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

The Mazda 3 arrived after the 6 and has had who knows how many infotainment updates, yet the 6 still hasn't had one in North America, and as a result a lot of the features run into problems (like playing songs not associated with the title displayed, dismally slow connectivity times). Mine has had transmission problems since I bought it, with many appointments and now resolution. The interior bits (especially the tilt steering adjustment) have started vibrating on even smooth roads. rear brakes clunk when releasing. Poor sound insulation. However, it handles nicely and gets pretty good fuel economy.

easy off tcm attractive interior and exterior Wide tires big trunk

Move tach to the right side of the gauge cluster so you can see it while shifting. (obviously designed as a left hand drive) better quality exterior paint, this stuff is like tissue paper... that rusts. Secure interior pieces better.

A good value, real looker but needs improvements
By jr60

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have had it for a year now with 15k miles and it has its good and bad points. The fuel mileage was a major factor in my choice but also wanted performance and drivability. Generally with a 4 cylinder you a lack the torque and power that you normally get with a V6. I am happy with what Mazda had achieved with this high compression 2.5 liter DOHC. Nice is being able to run on regular gas unlike the competitors who are using 2.0 liter turbo to get the same result. The fuel mileage is excellent averaging over 34 mpg under 60/40 highway/city driving. I figure every fill up and comparing against the electronic display with similar results. The six speed AT with manual override is awesome.

Pros: Fuel economy , reliability, exterior styling, performance and some of the safety features including the backup camera. Cons: Ride comfort - requires crawling over those speed bumps, interior noise due to wind noise emanating from window frames, USB player lacks memory, does not retain settings and periodically rejects flash drives. Also the LDWS sometimes gets annoying. As a lease I am considering purchase. Tire replacement is costly for anything over 17" and most manufacturers do not offer a mileage warrantee. The added electronic and safety features are nice but after the first 3 years you are on your own

Ok so here are my two cents: Leatherette seats are just a gimmick, no advantage over the basic cloth and less of a sweat factor. USB player needs work and since everything is integrated into the steering wheel you stuck with it. Override for the LDWS - Lane Departure Warning System. Please Mazda fix the wind noise!

Great car, with some minor gripes
By jmsamler

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We have officially owned our car for 1 year now, and it has been through all 4 seasons here in MI. Overall, it is a great car, but it is not perfect, but I guess no car is. Read on for more details. This car is very well made and rock solid, no creaks/squeaks and it's beautiful inside and out. This car just exudes quality craftsmanship and feels modern and up to date. We have the GT, with no options. Gas mileage is good but have never seen anywhere near 38 mpg, getting about 33-34 on the highway and 27-28 in mixed driving, mostly around town.

The overall high quality feel of the car - fun to drive but practical, rides great for a car on 19" wheels, does surprisingly well in the snow. Spacious backseat, good leg and head room for a 6' person. Beautiful styling. No reliability issues so far, except for the door seals, see below.

Interior - get rid of the dial on the center console, move cupholders forward and give me a real armrest. The door seals are garbage, one is torn and wind noise can make its way past them. Trunk needs bigger opening, can't get fullsize cooler into it. Engine - needs more low end power, lags a little down low, can also be rough at idle. Turbo or a V6 option would be welcome. Exterior - the 19" wheels tires. These wheels do NOT do well in areas where road conditions are poor, I have damage on all of mine from winter potholes. Tires offer no protection to the wheels, little sidewall. Make the 19's an option. Had two bad tires because of the roads here by 5,000 miles (cut/bubble).