Used 2014 Mazda 6 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Red Beauty
By richard joplin

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Try this car last for it will be the one you will buy.

Very sharp and comfortable ride
By Derek Slimmon

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Only complain on this 2014 Grand Touring is the Technology. The Bluetooth delay, USB doesn't read certain phones it appears, and the navigation is awful. But I use my cell phone for navigation so it's not a feature that was make or break for me. Overall, a beautiful car that has the right amount of sporty and luxury. Great purchase!

Love-hate relationship
By me

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

The Good: Not just great gas mileage, but great gas mileage that matches the computer reading if you calculate manually each tank (I would get 34 with 75/25 mix). The car also has nice handling if you happen to live on a windy road.
The Bad: The car used 1 qt of oil for every 3500 miles since day 1. Winter driving is terrible. The brake rotors were warped after 25000 miles. The ride is rough and there is a lot of road noise. The blind spot visibility is poor. Front passenger seat feels crammed. The windows fog up abnormally in the winter and rear window makes a terrible crackling noise when it is really cold. Dashboard had a bad rattle. Manual Transmission is most unexciting one I have ever driven. A lastly the car is under-powered (lacks low end torque), which is the price you pay for good gas mileage I guess.
**Update: Most of the road noise and bad traction in the winter is due to the shamefully bad OEM tires Mazda used on this (Yokohama). Just look on tirerack and you will see. Upgraded tires would do a lot for this car, but there are still better options out there.

I am in the minority about this car
By eapj

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car one year ago as a certified used vehicle. My husband's car died suddenly and we needed something pronto. We were looking for something with a stick shift that was relatively fun and this was one of the few cars available at the time in our price range. Let me just say that after one morning of driving the car, my husband asked if he could trade and drive my 2015 VW Golf instead.

The Mazda6 is a sharp looking car and the value seems to be pretty good on the surface. That being said, we aren't happy with the car and I won't purchase another. The car is very load on the road and I had to talk the dealership into looking up the technical service bulletin about it (I'm waiting for the parts to come in). The Bluetooth stops working every few months (I unhook the battery to get it going again) and routinely pauses in the middle of songs or phone calls. I realize that's minor but if a car is fairly new, you want it to work. The Bluetooth module was replaced under warranty but the behavior is exactly the same so it didn't go any good.

I also find the ride to be very rough. I needed new breaks and tires at 33k miles and though the tire replacement would make the ride better. Not so! It's actually worse. It's decent around town but super rough on the highway. I've had a VW GTI, a Ford Focus SVT and a Mini Cooper S so it's not that I don't like a rough ride. I guess I don't like a rough ride in a big family sedan. The combo just doesn't make sense to me. I also feel like the sheetmetal is cheap; it seems to dent easily or that's been my experience, at least.

The car does handle very well and the brakes are good. I also appreciate the blind spot monitoring.

Part of my dislike of the car is personal preference - I really don't like big cars or sedans. I'm already looking at other options, either hatchbacks, crossovers (yuck) or wagons. I've gotten to the point in my like (early 40s) where some fun and some equipment without a punishing ride is what I'm looking for. Manual transmissions are getting rare and many manuals don't come with equipment. I might have to go to an automatic for the first time in my life or just get a base model Golf wagon or pony up for a GTI with bells and whistles (I've not experienced the VW nightmares that others have and I've had a series of VWs). I test drove a Ford Focus with a stick and a Ford Escape and liked both much more than the Mazda.

Full disclosure - I do recommend this car to others but it's just not the right one for me or my husband.

Great Value
By Sam

2014 Mazda 6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This car has treated me very well. I have very little to complain about. My Mazda6 Touring only cost me about 24,500 which comes with a lot of features that would have cost a LOT more with other cars (I know I did a lot of shopping when I decided on the Mazda). The blind spot monitoring is cool and has helped me avoid several traffic incidents, the backup camera works great and now I back-up into spaces like a pro (it also alerts you by beeping when cars are criss-crossing behind you). I love the radio control by the armrest, allows me to change things without reaching for the screen. I get great gas mileage consistently and the car is a blast to drive. I put a LOT of miles on this car the first couple years of owning it and have had NO problems maintenance-wise. Nothing broke down, damaged... I did have to have the brakes replaced once, but I did a lot of City driving. My only real complaint was how poorly this car dealt with snow with the original tires (and the stupid expensive tires I bought to replace)... lots of skidding and very little traction. I think this is in part because the car is so light and the few options of tires in its size. 19" looks nice, but it is expensive to replace tires.

Overall this is a fantastic car. The ride is fun and sporty. It gets great gas mileage. The interior materials are wonderful; feels like luxury car without it being one. Lots of room. Very reliable and fun. Also mine is red with a spoiler, and I have had a LOT of people tell me how sharp my car looks. I highly recommend the Mazda6!