2009 Mazda 6 Consumer Review: Great Car!!

2009 Mazda 6 - Consumer Review

i Grand Touring Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Great Car!!
By ScottyB on

2009 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased on 7/26/09, so I have owned the car for just over 2 months. This car provides luxury features, fun driving, and very good fuel economy at a reasonable price. I have a 50 mile round trip commute that is mostly highway. At 65-70 mph, I average 28-30 mpg. I think it could do even better if it was geared a bit higher. The gear ratios in the 6M are a bit close. I usually skip 3rd and 5th gears. The engine has plenty of torque to handle the short shifting. The engine really comes alive above 3,500 RPM. The car rides extremely well and handles well...a great balance. It is a bit noisy over rough pavement, but so is every car in this price range. Overall, I am very pleased.

Electronic entry and keyless ignition. Memory seats. Automatic Xenon headlights. Dash design. 6-speed manual transmission. Trunk size and fold-down seats...I throw my bike in with no trouble. Excellent rear seat room.

The 6-speed manual is too closely geared. I skip gears to avoid so many shifts. It turns 3,000 RPM at 70 mph, so it would be nice if 6th gear was taller. It stays quiet and smooth at those revs, but would get better MPG at lower RPM. I get over 29mpg, so I shouldn't complain.