Used 2009 Mazda 6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 6 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Mazda6
By Lisakaye

2009 Mazda 6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

You just cant beat this car on quality and performance....... Last car was a 05 mazda6. These are great cars. The 09 and up are bigger inside. (I didn't care) they are just great cars. Fast smooth reliable. And people will stare at the car wherever you go. Esp. The 09-10 models. People ask all the time "what kind of car is it?". I'm sure Mazda would like everyone on the road in one. But it is kind of Nice that they are not everywhere. Makes them unique to drive. Dang how many times do I see a Camry or altima on the road? constantly. Would I Rather have one? no! We tested cars for 6 months before we got this one. You just cant beat it. Zoom zoom zoom. By the way. Its my third Mazda.

Favorite Features

Looks, and the smoothness and handling of the ride. The Bose stereo in it! The sunroof! The whole car.

cuisinart motor, rice krispies interior
By mtaylor

2009 Mazda 6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

After only 10 months, I'm ready to ditch this car. The engine is smooth enough but sounds like a blender. Transmission is beginning to hesitate between gears and is rough. The entire passenger side rattles (dash,under seat and on B-pillar). Impossible to find a comfy driving position (gauges too high for the wheel, lumbar support too hard, among other issues). Door handles are flimsy. Plastic trim on A- pillar is loose. HVAC fan rattles. Felt-like trim between dash and windshield is uneven. Bose system is mediocre. Very weak low beam headlights. Was sucked in by the looks, but have been let down by the quality. At least it's mechanically reliable and gets good mpg.

Favorite Features

good gas mileage. so far, no major mechanical issues, but I have my doubts about the transmission lasting. Initially was drawn to the car for its looks, but the more I look, the more the proportions are off, especially from the C-pillar back. From the side the car looks way too long and front heavy.

Suggested Improvements

Better overall interior build quality. The plastics are OK in quality, but Mazda needs to work harder on putting them together! Wish I had kept my Mazda3, but the new ones are so ugly! Now have my eyes on a Suzuki Kishashi, which on paper appears to be what this car should have been.

Unbeatable
By Sliver93

2009 Mazda 6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I drove 16 different cars in my quest for my next car. I came down to the 09 G35x, 09 Maxima and the Mazda6. The "fun to drive" factor really pushed the Mazda to the top of the list. The dated transmission on the m35 made it feel like a grandpa car, and the Maxima engine didn't feel as punchy as my old ones. I have always driven Nissans because I love to drive. Now I love my 6!

Favorite Features

Rain Sensing Wipers, Regular Fuel, BSM, 60/40 rear seats

Suggested Improvements

AWD, Rear air vents, Air conditioned seats, Heated steering wheel (I miss mine!)

The Best Mid-Size Sedan
By Matt

2009 Mazda 6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

The new redesigned Mazda6 exterior and interior and very nice. I bought the S Grand Touring. The 272hp is quite powerful. I have clocked the car going from 0-60 in 6.1 secs. According to Edmunds.com, "the Mazda 6 is more powerful and quicker than the Total Camry, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, and Ford Fusion. For the price, it is actually the most powerful car you can drive. Love the blind spot monitoring system. The leather seats are very comfortable. It is nice to have heated seats in the winter. Love the Bose system. The car has wonderful steering and control. The 5 star crash test rating gives me a piece of mind. I love the headlights. Overall, I love the car. I recommend it.

Favorite Features

The power is wonderful. I am getting 21.5 city/ 28 highway with the V6 engine. Love the blind spot monitoring system. The Bose system is great! Satellite radio is nice. Heated leather seats are great.

Suggested Improvements

I would recommend to Mazda to put turn signals on the mirrors like they have on the CX-9. That is the only improvement I can think of.

Don't bother
By Mymaz

2009 Mazda 6 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

After 8 months I have had problems with the A/C, Mileage is awful, exterior finish is below par, suspension and steering noises. I am trying to sell it to get a Honda. Even a Hyundai would be better now.

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

300 characters isn't even close to enough room for suggestions