2009 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Awesome style/comfort,/4Cyl Acceleration
By cec32372 on 06/19/09 07:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

What a car! Style-wise, Mazda hit a grand-slam: roomy 4-door practicality with unique sporty 2-door styling & so many features per $! Really nice 17" alloys. Stock audio system pretty good. Keyless start system rocks! Awesome dash layout & display at night. Super- smooth & quiet ride. Comfy seats. Perfect steering feel. Glides over curvy roads & corners with grace. SO fun-to-drive! Doors yield loud THUNK when shut! Greatest surprise: Even with 5spd auto trans, the 170hp 2.5 4cyl engine routinely leaves other cars in my rearview mirror from full stops with little effort. Even outperforms the 170hp v6 in my '98 626LX despite being much larger car. Generates refined, throaty growl. Superb!!!

Mazda6 V6
By Tostitos on 06/16/09 09:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We originally dismissed this car because of its perceived weak gas mileage against its key competitors. We test drove them all and looked for several months at options. However, after test driving a Ford Fusion that had pieces falling off during the test drives, and a Malibu which was just too small with its lack of shoulder and width room....we came back to the Mazda. The V6 engine is fantastic. Smooth as silk. And doesn't have the annoying cylinder shut down like the Accord V6. Build quality is very solid and the ride feels great. Handles better than the Camry. The bonus has been the mileage. Thus far we have been getting 22 combined with at least 75% city driving.

2009 Mazda 6 S Touring V6
By MK51 on 06/16/09 07:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Replaced a 2005 Taurus, looking for a car with updated design, performance, and technology. Definitely found the great design, performance and nice bells and whistles. Respectable gas mileage, 22 city, 27 highway. Somewhat disappointed in overall comfort and noise issues. High level of road noise from 18" tires, very sensitive steering, stiff ride, and noisy engine and compressor/fans (very annoying). Unfavorable reflection of top of dash in front window. Engine/fan noise addressed once, but not convinced it is entirely corrected. Will pursue with dealership and will get used to the other minor discomforts.

Camry Killer?
By 230SL on 06/15/09 11:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We were on our way to test drive a new Camry. Took a swing into the Mazda dealer because I knew the design had changed and wanted to check it out. After a test drive we kept our appointment w/ the Toyota dealer. This Mazda has it all over the Camry, I couldn't even get alloy wheels on the LE model (which really pi**ed me off). Short story, we went back to Mazda and got a good deal on a car (so far, 2 mos) that I think is nicer than the Camry (which is a very nice car).

Faux marble interior is weak...
By Mike on 06/14/09 07:30 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Let me start by saying that in general I love this car. The instrumentation is very intuitive and I find the exterior to be very sleek and it doesn't scream "I've got car seats inside" like some other family targeted vehicles. I love the bigger V6 and the room trunk and cabin. My only complaint is on the Grand Touring model I have is it has the cheesiest faux marble plastic trim along the dash and the cupholder. A few editor reviews mention this but I haven't seen it much on readers comments so perhaps it just me. Waiting for an aftermarket solution but for me a flat black or polished aluminum trim would have made the car almost perfect.

Better than Accord, maybe even Acura
By JMike on 06/11/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Have now owned the 6 for 3 months and like it more every day. Have had several sports cars (S-2000, 350Z)and had to go with a more sensible car this time. No withdrawal symptoms, the 6 is possibly taking Nissan's title of 4 dr Sports Car. Also looked at the new Accord; have owned Hondas and Nissans in the past, and know both to be excellent cars and great values. I could not get past the ugliness of the new Accord or the price tag for the new Maxima. Getting 20mpg avg, think the 6 is comparable to Lexus and Acura

nice car but.......
By rag723 on 06/10/09 21:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

The Mazda6 is a nice car and a nice ride but I had problems with it. The gas tank has been replaced because it was making a strange noise, the lumber adjust broke, the weather strip on the windows have been replaced. I've spend alot ot time at the dealership and I only have 5K miles. Not sure if I would buy Mazda again.

Mazda got it right this time
By Fly Fisher on 06/05/09 18:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Looked at everything out there for about a year and after I drove the Mazda knew it was the perfect car for me. If you love to drive but need a family sedan this car wins hands down over the competition. Power, handling, quality features and the best design out there make this a winner and I would recommend everyone test drive it before they buy.

Slip joint problem and pulsating brakes
By Ariel on 06/05/09 06:23 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Purchased car Dec. 08, Feb 09 -to dealer for knocking noise when turning, car inspected, nothing found. Noise continued, May 09 to dealer for knocking noise when turning and pulsating brakes. Valiant grease to steering column shaft. Breaks inspected, no issue. Noted some improvement with turning noise. Returned 6/3 for both issues continued. Replaced steering column, excessive movement in the slip joint used for steering wheel adjustment. Informed had same problem with older Mazda 6 and grease worked, but not 09. Replace the front rotors for customer satisfaction and at 14,950 machined back rotors. Not impressed with the continuing issues only 6 mo. car. If continues will pursue lemon law.

Buffeting
By deepblack on 05/30/09 18:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

When driving my new Mazda 6(I've had it two weeks) with the rear windows down there is severe buffeting and air pressure that caused the eardrums of three of us to hurt even though we only were subjected to this phenomenon for about 10 seconds. Never experienced this in any car I have ever owned. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what did you do? Did you call Mazda and what was their response? Also, I calculated the mileage I got driving locally and it was 23.7 MPG although the car's computer indicated 18.8 MPG. I really like my Mazda 6 overall with the minor exception of the buffeting issue noted above.Ha

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda6 in WA is:

$164 per month*