2009 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Great choice
By montrealer2095 on 05/28/11 04:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Mazda 6 and have been very happy with both. The 4 cyl engine is a bit wheezy, but I commute a long way each day and was a worthwhile tradeoff vs. the V6 to get the extra mileage, which is good but not great. My quibbles are a phantom squeak and the a/c isn't strong enough for those of us who live in the South. I was rear ended by a Camry a few weeks ago and the 6 lived up to its excellent crash ratings. Car was in decent shape and the Camry was a writeoff. No doubt this is the best value in its class.

Love fades
By mazda convert on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Bought it new but seem to be owning it used. Rattles and squeaks abound. Does drive and handle well. Great pickup great brakes. Transmission down shift feels odd at lower speeds, almost like it stuck in neutral. Wind noise in cabin too loud at freeway speeds. Sound system is average or below par. I find the driving position/seat comfortable. Enjoy spirited driving. the interior and reliability does not live up to the exterior and performance.

Tons better than my 2008 Honda Accord
By MNA2002 on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought an '08 Accord in March 2008. It was plagued with fault brakes and other electrical problems. So, buh-bye Accord. I know Mazda owners and test drove the '09 6. I had parked by Accord next to a 6 at the dealer's. The 6 made the Accord look like a dowdy Buick. The 6 has had zero problems. The interior is 10 times better than the Accord. The power seat is fantastic for my long legs. On the highway I get 30 mpg -- the Accord got 33, so it's a little less. I like a reliable car, and I do believe that I have found it. I've read some unfortunate things about the current Accords. The 6 might not hold its resale value as much as the Accord, but I won't have the car repairs that Accord needs.

2009S Grand Touring
By Shadetree on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Test drove a four cylinder with four adults on board. Went straight to the V6. Love the power and this car has power. Took a trip with four adults and luggage, drove generally 10 over the speed limit. Was surprised to get 27.7 mpg. Another trip with just myself and setting the cruise on the speed limit, I got just over 30 mpg. Mileage is not as bad as advertised. Have 21000 on the car now and have had zero problems, same as the 04 Mazda 6 we had. Love driving this car when I can get it away from my wife. Powerful, smooth running and shifting, handles, and 100% reliable, the ride is a bit firm along with the leather seats, can be taxing on a long trip. Couldn't be happier that I own this car.

So Far So Good
By zoomtex on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bought used with 8K miles. 6sp Manual fun to drive but could be geared taller. Very close ratios, do not use all 6 in normal driving. But if you want to thrash it, it's fun. Impressed with trunk. Headed on trip in old minivan with 5 people, but it broke down. Switched all people and gear to Mazda and went on 3Kmi road trip. Immense trunk swallowed luggage with ease. Got up to 33 mpg @75 mph. Enough room in back to prevent fratricide. Came back from that trip very happy with vehicle.

2009 mazda6 - 1 year later
By tamoshanter on 09/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

bought this 2009 mazda6 for my wife last year after she put 235k on her 2000 626. she loves it - base model, sound system very good, very good pickup for a 4 cyl w/ 6 spd manual. black interior shows dust and dirt more quickly. you can bury several bodies in the trunk without blinking, and sleep in the back seat with two others. ride is smooth, handling excellent (for its size) and A/C will freeze you in seconds. we had a 1990 protege with 250k, and i got the hand- me-down 2000 6 (averaging 150 miles/daily) and still running like a watch.

Zoom Zoom Mazda 6
By jb26wcu on 08/25/10 08:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I got a Black Mazda 6 3.7l V6 Gran Touring with Black Leather. I really believe the car is the best in its class. It has more styling than the accord, camry, malibu or altima. It is the fastest in its class too. If everyone in the market for an altima or accord test drove the mazda I believe it would out sell both. My sister has the v4 altima and the only thing that is better about her car then mine is I think the leather is of better quality in the altima. Other than that Mazda wins on every level!

Looks Hot, Runs Hot
By Tonebone1 on 07/27/10 04:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is my second Mazda6. My first was was a 2006. I love to drive my Madza6, especially with the V6 it has. However, recently it has been running hot. I had to get it towed once because of this issue, and had to return it to the shop for the same thing a few days later. The service person advised me that it was a manufacturer defect. Needless to say, the car is still in the shop. Other than that, the car with its unique look, is fun to drive. Interior features can be improved like the Aux plug that is located in the armrest isn't convenient (why not put one on the radio). Folding mirrors with turn signal would be nice.

Good but not great!
By txmazda on 07/14/10 08:49 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We waited till we had some miles on our new car in order to give a more accurate review as almost every car seems great when brand new and no miles. After 11,500 miles we still enjoy the car but have had 3 issues with the A/C. I'm a bit concerned because each time the dealer has stated the issue has been fixed but then it breaks again. The service at the dealer (Roger Beasley Mazda) has been exceptional and if not for the A/C issues, we would be ecstatic with the car. I'm a Honda/Toyota guy historically (owned 6 hondas, 3 toyotas) but decided to venture out after reading all the quality issues with the new Hondas/Toyotas. The interior quality isn't as high as Hondas/Toyotas but is decent.

Think twice before buying
By RAG723 on 07/13/10 10:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd review. This car continues to give me issues. It took the dealership 5 tries to fix a alignment problem. All four window motors were replaced. I hear a metal clanking noise coming out from under the hood and Mazda says it normal.How can a clanking noise at low speeds me normal. Bluetooth module was replaced. Clicking noise from steering wheel was fixed. Dealer replaced water pump because it making a loud noise when driving. And the list goes on and on. I make it a point to tell everyone that rides the car with me not to buy Mazda. I sure will never buy one again.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda6 in VA is:

$130 per month*