2009 Mazda Mazda6 i SV Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

Sort Reviews by

Go For It
By Marc

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Mazda got it right! My criteria were Xenon headlights, regular gas, and more than 20 MPG city. But you get a whole lot more! Great styling, comfort, lots of bells & whistles. Lots of safety features. Keyless entry and push-button start is great! There are several programmable features like auto door lock, how many doors unlock with remote, lighting delay, etc., and you can hit the "clock" button to view trip info without having to use "info button". Mazda hit a home run! The car is competition for Lexus ES350, not just Honda, Toyota & Nissan.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry, pushbutton start, Xenon headlights, rain-sensing wipers, seat comfort

Suggested Improvements

My 2 complaints are the power door lock button isn't illuminated at night, and the speedo takes some getting used to because each mark is 2.5 mph. Memory mirrors to go with the seat position & turn signal mirrors are about the only thing the car is missing!

I'm thrilled!
By Kevin

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my Mazda 6 last weekend. Six cylinder Grand Touring - loaded except nav system. The tech features are so great - blue tooth, Bose stereo, Sirius radio, hi tech key fob, fantastic seats. I remember driving my friend's 8 cylinder Mustang GT when I was in college and this car feels exactly like that. Feels very "American" to drive. I absolutely love the way the car handles and after owning a Miata in the past, I hope the maintenance and reliability hold up like that car did.

Favorite Features

Look of the car body from the front, comfortable seats, great stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing yet!

Zoom Zoom Zoom lives up to it!
By ashbrown38

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I love this car, I purchased it brand new, the comfort and safety features is awesome. My previous car Ford Focus, even though fun to drive, it was functional. With this Mazda, It's fun, great mileage, sporty, speedy, security. The stability is awesome, tight curves no problem. Handles extremely well. Love the interior, Love the look. Love what it does to me as safety goes. Great stereo system, keyless entry is fantastic especially when I have a lot of groceries. I'm finding out new things about my car every day. Definitely, recommend this car. So far, 39 hwy/28 city

Favorite Features

Keyless entry, electronic traction, stereo controls at fingertips, super economical 39 hwy/28 city, color, style, dashboard - lighting, the strategically placed headlights, the feel of the car when I'm sitting and driving, overall comfort! Security, did I mention that?

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any right now.

Big 3 better watch out.
By jR

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

After test driving the "Big 3" sedans (Camry, Accord, Altima), I decided to give the new 6 a try. The redesign has done wonders, both exterior and interior. Quality of the interior is much better than the others, especially in my GT. It has features the others don't was well like LED tail's, standard BT and a blind spot monitoring system. The 4 banger suits my needs, but it might be the weak point of the car. I felt the Honda had the best, followed by the Altima, then the Camry. I'm only a few hundred miles into the car, but I have ZERO regrets about my decision. Mazda has taken a step forward and should draw a lot of attention w/ this one.

Favorite Features

BT, blind spot monitoring system, good Bose system for once, new exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Get away from the orange gauges. It's growing on me, but I'd rather have blueish ones or white on black.

Good Bang For The Buck
By herb

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Before I buy I always look at the field of cars in the class. When I came across the 6 I had to knock out the Accord, Camry and all the like. What comes on the car as standard are for the most part options or not even available on competitors (Xenon head lights). Once you pop on a few options you've got a car equipped more like a premium class car. This car really is a lot of value for the money. I've only had mine for a short while and I'm not sorry one bit I bought it. As far as I'm concerned Toyota and Honda have some catch to do to match the new 6. This is one heck of a value for well under 30 G.

Favorite Features

Bose & moon roof package (worth it get it). Huge trunk. Great ride and handling. Fuel mileage

Suggested Improvements

Door pockets in the rear doors. Not a lot of Zoom Zoom with the 4 cy but it's still 170 hp.

WOW!
By Kendall

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I just purchased my first Mazda. After researching the Accord, Camry and Altima, I ended up in a new 2009 Mazda6 Grand Touring. It was really an easy decision after comparing these cars and what I could get for my $$. My Mazda is loaded and a blast to drive! This is my first Mazda and I have to say, I'm very impressed. I initially wanted the V6, but after driving them both, I decided the 4 cylinder would be more efficient on gas. I don't regret it at all. It's very peppy, in fact, it is even spunkier than my old car which was a V6! I highly recommend this vehicle. If you're on the fence about what to buy, take one for a drive... you'll be sold!

Favorite Features

Leather interior, heated seats, Bose speakers, sunroof, auto lights and wipers (I could go on and on!).

Mazda gets it right.!!
By Rick

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Well, all I can say is WOW!! I traded in a 2006 RX8 Shinka, and besides the obvious loss of power, I don't regret it a bit. If you put the car up against it's competition you have to come up with the Mazda 6. Hands down. I haven't had the car but a couple weeks, and everyone at work is like nice car, what is it? Now they know. What's not to love? Thank you Mazda. Keep doing what your doing. People are watching. This is one happy customer. ZOOM-ZOOM!!

Favorite Features

Push to start. No fumbling to get key in hole. Huge backseats. Dual climate controls. Fuel economy. Nice big trunk. Blind-spot indicator on mirror.

Suggested Improvements

None.

2009 Mazda 6 i Touring w/Conv pkg
By Brian

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the 1,200 miles driven on my Mazda 6 since the purchase. I decided to go with the 2.5L instead of the 6 cyl because of the commute that I have and with gas prices on the steady rise the choice was simple. When looking to replace my Mazda 3 (manual), I looked at many different vehicles, but in the end came back to the Mazda 6. The 2.5 has plenty of get-up and go for everyday driving. I also like the new interior n the 09 models. No offense to Toyota, but Mazda takes first in that category. As far as fuel economy, I am averaging 28+ mpg with blended driving of highway and city. Not bad for a car this size. Great Job Mazda

Favorite Features

The Blind Spot Monitoring is a nice feature, but takes some getting used to. I also like the blended cloth /leather seating with the conv. pkg. And as always the bluetooth is a nice safety feature

Suggested Improvements

Adding tensioners in the cup holders so that different sized cups/bottles could be held still would be nice. Possibly relocating the info button that is located on the left side of the steering wheel. It is not very visible in its current location.

Worth the Wait
By Whalebelly

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

We were ready to replace our old Mazda6 back in April of this year, but decided to wait for the 2009. I'm glad we did, for this vehicle is so much better. It has a larger interior, larger trunk and we opted for the i Grand Touring with remote keyless doors and ignition, dual zone climate control, leather heated seats and we opted for the moonroof and sound upgrade package. The car still handles great like the older version but is so much more comfortable.

Favorite Features

Retains the same agile handling and low torque as the old car. Remote key system, sound system, dual zone climate control.

Suggested Improvements

Would have liked remote keyless system to open passenger doors as well as the drivers door. Fuel economy not improved over last version but perhaps expected given the new cars greater size and weight.

Fun Fun with the Zoom Zoom
By Rob C

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Me and the wife have an older 6 (2003 6i Sport) that is getting a little long in the tooth. She was looking at a Lexus IS but I persuaded her to look at this new 6. We do not regret this purchase! It is powerful, comfortable, roomy, and is a looker inside and out. We bought a fully loaded performance white 6s with moonroof, Bose, satellite radio and navi, and is worth every penny. It is a blast to drive, smooth and effortless power delivery out of the 6 cyl and 6 speed auto. The seats are firm but comfortable, the sound system can rattle the doors off if you like, and the trunk is huge. This is supposed to be my wife's car, but I find myself hogging the driver's seat, ha!

Favorite Features

Interior/exterior design, drivetrain combo is A+, Bose sound hits hard, the leather on the steering wheel and shifter has a nice feel, everything you touch feels substantial and of quality. You get a lot of car and even more, for the price!

Suggested Improvements

No rear seat vents, no autolock option once the car is in motion, the side mirrors can be a little bigger, no lockout for the interior trunk switch. Also, since they already have the lights in the side mirrors for the welcome lighting system, why not have turn signals with it?