Used 2009 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 194 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 6

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Good, good, good.
By Donte Wilson

2009 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this car in October of 2013. I'm a younger guy, so personally I would want something faster, but when I was car shopping, I was in a hurry, I wanted a Mazda, and this popped up infront of me.
I've had no problems at all with this car. Over 97,000 miles on it. Engine is fine. Tranny is fine (it's an auto, I wish it were a standard). Everything is fine. I do have a few minor mods to it, and I've had them on for most of the time I've had the car, exhaust, intake, upgraded springs, and it holds them up fine. I do take care of it. I only use top grade maintenance stuff. Full synthetic oil and lube and all that stuff.
The only thing I dislike about this car is the weight. I am a person that likes a bigger, heavier sedan, but 170hp and 160trq in a 3,300+lb car is not very appealing at all. Its weight is also the reason why it gets poor fuel economy. I have about a 50/50 mixture of highway and city, and I get 20mpg on the dot. About 360miles per tank. Which, I don't have much of a problem with. My problem is the power. 170hp is fine. Especially for a family sized sedan, but 170hp in a 3,300lb is just stupid and unethical. It is rather quick in the 4cly family sedan category, but in an upper category, its falls very short. However, the handling is amazing.
If you want something quick, I wouldn't completely reccomend this car, unless you're gonna shave some weight some how and/or forced induction. However, if you want everything a car can offer, this is the car.

It's also great in the snow.

I also over paid for my car, so don't let that price fool you. Be sure to check KBB and other consumers for a good price.

You need deep pockets if driven on salted roads!
By Headed for Bankruptcy

2009 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I completely agree with the other reviewer about how unsupportive the clamshell-shaped front seats are, with no lumbar support whatsoever -ouch! As well as the easily scratched plastic panel under the gearshift, and how the steering wheel blocks the speedo when properly adjusted. I bought it in Aug. 2012 with 47K miles. It now (July '15) has 102K+ miles due to long work commutes (on salted roads during rough Cleveland Winters). Which 2 brake repair shops tell me is the reason why I've had to replace the rear brake rotors/pads no less than 4 times, and the rear calipers no less than 3 times!! Add to this- $885 in 3 separate transmission service/repairs by the Mazda stealership over the past 5 months alone! Same reason given- corrosion from road salt. Combined with the fact that this car is downright scary/dangerous to drive on snow/ice covered roads- even with 4 new Kuhmo KH16 (pure crap) tires. (And I've been driving here since 1982) Other than that, I like it better (and is only slightly less scary driving in Winter than my '07 6i Touring Hatchback with the low profile tires was), but only after replacing the garbage factory door speakers w/ Alpine SPS-517 ones.

Bought the car new.
By 09mazda6gts

2009 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I love the car and have no regrets buying it. There have been a few issues with the car. The battery went bad at two years. The rain sensing wipers are irritating. They will go into high speed in light rain. I bought nav but never use it, (I have Google Maps on my smart phone, much easier to use). I got locked in the car when my wife got out with the key and the doors locked when she walked away. I had to lay on the horn to get her to come back and let me out. The dealer had never heard of that. This wasn't a one time deal, it happens every time in the same situation. 63K on it now, replaced the tires and brakes. The power is great and the tranny is super smooth. Would buy again.

The car came loaded. Love the sunroof, traction control, stability control, BSM, seat memory, heated seats, XM radio, etc. Traction control has to be turned off when punching it from a dead stop. The wheels spin plenty, especially on half worn tires. This car is fast! I was going to try it at the strip. The transmission is so smooth, up shifting and down shifting that I didn't want to take a chance wrecking something just to see how fast it is. I never back down from a red light challenge though.

The wide wheels have no protection when touching the curb. If you touch the curb, it's the wheels that make first contact, not the tires. It would be nice to have a way to disable the rain sensing wipers. It has to be auto sensing, on, or off. There is no intermittent setting. Redesign the door lock system so the doors can be opened from the inside once they're locked. Can't believe there isn't a recall on this. There is a recall for the door hinge bolts falling out, haven't had that problem yet. This is a great car and I intend to keep it for many more years. The reliability has been excellent.

Good performer but has some terrible usability features
By kmukhopa

2009 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have a 2009 Mazda 6 sport and have owned it since 2010. The car has good performance and is comfortable. Overall I have not had major quality issues, but I do have some complaints centering around customer usability ease. First of all, the Key FOB is terribly difficult to open when you need to replace the battery, both to open and to replace the battery are quite hard to do. I have had problems with it not working at all lately, even when I replace the battery, and I will have to take it in. Second, the headlamps are almost impossible to get to so you can replace the bulbs. You have to go underneath the wheels, take out grommets, etc. Mazda needs to work on that.

Styling, performance

Improve Key FOB ease of use Improve ease of access to headlight bulb change access Steering wheel sometimes has play in it

Built really well....
By realitycheck1

2009 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Interior quality of this car is a step above the competition. Smooth engine, decent acceleration and decent fuel economy. I average 28MPG between highway and city usage. Very reliable. Very roomy and above average handling. Very safe. I was broadsided in it and it held up very well. I find Mazda's in general are certainly a cut or two above its competition. The stock speakers were a little weak, and I find the stock Xenon headlamps are not as powerful as they should be and are very expensive to replace. But this is a very satisfying car.

Good fuel economy, great build quality both mechanical and cosmetically inside and out. Comfortable and sporty...ish. Very safe and solidly built.

Spending as little as 300 dollars to replace the stock speakers did wonders for the sound system. Im investigating what brand of Xenon bulb to buy to make those Xenon headlamps as bright as they should be.